Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Rob2D wrote: »
    What world are you living in? I didn't realise there were warehouses full of gaming cards all over Europe? A picture of one idiot's setup you found online is not indicitive of the true situation.
    I ran the math on that picture and I can tell you that best case scenario this year he breaks even. Show any proper miner that setup and you would be laughed out of it

The real world,obviously not the one your living in:P

https://videocardz.com/newz/this-geforce-rtx-3080-ethereum-mining-rig-now-makes-20k-per-month

So when crypto took off the last time before this why was GPU supply constrained then aswell? Sure isn't it just timmy down the road who wants two 3060s for a bit of mining:P

I do agree that there are also other factors making the supply problems more acute but to say mining is not a major contributor is just living in dreamland

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Rob2D wrote: »
    What world are you living in? I didn't realise there were warehouses full of gaming cards all over Europe? A picture of one idiot's setup you found online is not indicitive of the true situation.
    I ran the math on that picture and I can tell you that best case scenario this year he breaks even. Show any proper miner that setup and you would be laughed out of it.

Oh this is just delicious. You have no clue do you? Do you even know that most projects are proof of stake now? That crypto can be run entirely on renewable. That Bitcoin, if successful could be the single biggest motivating factor in human history for a move to clean energy?

Run along there and add up the cost of our current banking system for me. Go look at the cost of pulling gold out of the ground.

Better yet, here's a good one for all of you. Go and figure out how much cost and environmental impact gaming has every year. Go take a look in the mirror, then come back and talk to me.

Dedicating some of this energy and technology to trying to create a revoultionary system that could finally stand up to the cancer that is central banking is a fine endevour when compared to us needing to play several hours of games a day.

Some people around here need to seriously get down off their high horse and grow up. Learn how the world works.

Just so you know, your math is wrong. A miner can buy those cards, mine them, and then (this is the key bit) sell them again for a ridiculous price. That's why you're math is wrong. A scalper could even just mine them in the 7 days their eBay ad is up for and then package it again. These cards lose no value second hand because they can't be got new and everyone wants them

• Registered Users Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Doth protests a wee bit too much me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Comparing gaming to mining is like comparing cooking and eating a delicious meal to heating up some delicious ingredients and then throwing them in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You don't think £649 3080's were bought up by miners when they have close to 90-100MH mining stats? What?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

messing with DSR and a 3080 some games like 8k some games DO NOT :D

Unreal engine games seems to run fine on it, Elite Dangerous does not run well in 8k.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Resizable BAR BIOS have been released for anyone with an Asus X299 based board. I doubt there's many of you around, but it's good news for me at least.

All I lack now is a VBIOS, but Zotac have a poor record of providing these.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

Just thought I'd come and post for anyone with a 3080/3090 FE and are concerned about the VRAM junction temps. I just did the thermal pad replacement this morning and initial results are showing me 20+ degree improvement. Went from 105+ in RDR2 to 80 on the nose. I will say in my initial testing post mod I have had the coil whine get very bad. This is literally on my initial testing. I am hoping this just needs a burn in period and will get better. On CSGO the card screams! It will make noise in RDR2 as well. I play with headphones so its not as bad for me but something to consider for anyone thinking about the mod. I will say the knowledge that the card is at far safer junction temps is worth it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

EoinHef wrote: »
    The real world,obviously not the one your living in:P

https://videocardz.com/newz/this-geforce-rtx-3080-ethereum-mining-rig-now-makes-20k-per-month

So when crypto took off the last time before this why was GPU supply constrained then aswell? Sure isn't it just timmy down the road who wants two 3060s for a bit of mining:P

I do agree that there are also other factors making the supply problems more acute but to say mining is not a major contributor is just living in dreamland

I've posted this before, but during the previous "Crypto-Boom", I took a trip to the USA and went to visit a Microcenter - the one in Brooklyn, specifically.

The GPU aisle looked like there had been a revolt in the store: not a single card on the shelves and scattered all over, remnants of cardboard from torn boxes. I don't know if people literally assaulted the staff while they were trying to put the boxes on the shelves, but it certainly looked like it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    I've posted this before, but during the previous "Crypto-Boom", I took a trip to the USA and went to visit a Microcenter - the one in Brooklyn, specifically.

The GPU aisle looked like there had been a revolt in the store: not a single card on the shelves and scattered all over, remnants of cardboard from torn boxes. I don't know if people literally assaulted the staff while they were trying to put the boxes on the shelves, but it certainly looked like it :eek:

In Fallout they use caps as currency, looks like in our universe we will use gpus as currency. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

viking direct have charged my credit card for the order they cancelled :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

May have just snagged myself a MSI 3080 there for £763 - from Amazon.co.uk. Here's hoping they dont cancel it.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭TheRover

May have just snagged myself a MSI 3080 there for £763 - from Amazon.co.uk. Here's hoping they dont cancel it.

Seems half the world snagged that MSI 3080 ;)

Still no delivery date so it's likely all/many get cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

In stock or temporarily out of stock when you ordered?

TheRover wrote: »
    Seems half the world snagged that MSI 3080 ;)

Still no delivery date so it's likely all/many get cancelled.

Fook :(

Had a slight delay due to the CC passcode thinggy so probably no joy. Ah well.

spix wrote: »
    In stock or temporarily out of stock when you ordered?

In stock 13th April when ordered and still showing something similar for a couple of minutes after.

In stock 13th April when ordered.

Same

Well it's better to want... so I'm told.

Fook :(

Had a slight delay due to the CC passcode thinggy so probably no joy. Ah well.

I don't think the CC verification delays the process. You see, by that point, from amazon's pov, you were fast enough and committed to the purchase, they're just waiting for the bank to give the final OK.

I got a Zotac 3080 last week with same CC verification - and that one has a delivery date.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Same got one this morning for £762.94!

For anyone else, what I did is I have the Twitter for Mac client installed with notifications to the @PartAlert and @DropSentry twitter accounts.

On so many occasions I haven't been able to get the card added to my cart but this time I just pressed the Buy Now button as soon as the page opened and managed to get it added. Fingers crossed it's not cancelled also :D

• Advertisement

My 'confirmation' email was 09.53 for anyone who is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

The one time I didn't have discord running...:mad:

Luck100 wrote: »
    The one time I didn't have discord running...:mad:

By the looks of it you didn't actually miss out unless they've pallets of them which I doubt.

Has anyone actually received one of these 'underpriced' cards from amazon in recent months or is it just a long shot the order gets honored?

Has anyone actually received one of these 'underpriced' cards from amazon in recent months or is it just a long shot the order gets honored?

I got one and have another one on the way. No bots.

I got one and have another one on the way. No bots.

How many cancelled orders and how good a deal was the one you got. I don't understand why they'd sell 3080 at 750? When could easily charge 1,000 and would sell just as quick.

How many cancelled orders and how good a deal was the one you got. I don't understand why they'd sell 3080 at 750? When could easily charge 1,000 and would sell just as quick.

Only cancelled order I had was the Palit 3060 preorder. They cancelled it because "couldnt find stock" and literally 5 minutes later put some on sale on the site.

Amazon are not playing the scalper game, which is nice of them. This will keep a customer base in the future, instead of CCL/Overclockers/etc charging a fortune for cards nowadays which should hurt them in the future - if people remember.

Only cancelled order I had was the Palit 3060 preorder. They cancelled it because "couldnt find stock" and literally 5 minutes later put some on sale on the site.

Amazon are not playing the scalper game, which is nice of them. This will keep a customer base in the future, instead of CCL/Overclockers/etc charging a fortune for cards nowadays which should hurt them in the future - if people remember.

This looks like a miss price though, especially with a large quantity, at current market they've surely got to be selling these at a loss. They'd keep more customers if stock was accurate, definitely multitudes of cancelled orders for each successful one. I only got 1 order in and was cancelled after a month. Maybe will try again ;)

Not worth it to Amazon's reputation to over charge to the degree someone like CCL are doing on something this small volume.

• Advertisement

Not worth it to Amazon's reputation to over charge to the degree someone like CCL are doing on something this small volume.

Theres no way MSI are supplying these cards at that price though. Especially since they announced price increases. Fair play if Amazon are willing to sell at a loss to give people a good deal but with their reputation of selling customer returns as new, I don't believe it.

Advertisement