Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's amazing how they avoided doing this not because of technical reasons, but logistic ones, and they only did it because AMD did it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Getting a 20% uplift in performance on my 3070 after enabling resizeable bar after firmware and MB bios update (tested WD Legion and AC Valhalla).

Thai only works on 10th gen Intel CPUs, right?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

stimpson wrote: »

Nope, its working on my B450 with 3700X. Verified it in the bios, and in the nvidia system information panel. Nvidia release the firmware tool a few days ago. You need the latest driver updates too

Nope, its working on my B450 with 3700X. Verified it in the bios, and in the nvidia system information panel. Nvidia release the firmware tool a few days ago. You need the latest driver updates too

Just been reading and it seems there is a beta firmware for the Aorus z390 boards that work. Seems like I have a little project for Easter. Will post back if I can get it to chooch.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It does work on older chipsets like my X299 board with a 7900X.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Getting a 20% uplift in performance on my 3070 after enabling resizeable bar after firmware and MB bios update (tested WD Legion and AC Valhalla).

This'll do nothing for warzone right?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

errlloyd wrote: »
    This'll do nothing for warzone right?

Nothing seems to do anything for Warzone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 54,199 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Surprisingly my MSI GeForce RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO doesnt seem to have the BIOS ready for the resizeable bar

The only available BIOS

z4NqHS4.png

Tried updating my mobo bios, going through the bios to enable resizeable bar

cannot get this enabled and convinced at this stage is the GPU Bios

OK, to be clear, I meant that the only intel chips supported are 10 and 11 gen.

Anyway, I have been able to get it working with my i9-9900K on an Aorus Z390 Elite motherboard running the beta 10h bios.

549009.PNG

Had a bit of a worrying moment as I got a black screen on reboot after enabling Resizeable BAR in the BIOS. I had to clear me CMOS to get video again and found out I needed to disable CSM to get it to work (you also need to enable Above 4G Decoding to get Resizeable BAR option to show)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭Simi

There's a 22 game benchmark up on https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-pci-express-resizable-bar-performance-test/

Results seem to vary from negligible to up to 20%. Interestingly there's a performance regression in Watchdogs Legion.

They were using a 5800X. Do you mind me asking what processor you're using? Gains could be processor or worse motherboard specific.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Simi wrote: »
    There's a 22 game benchmark up on https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-pci-express-resizable-bar-performance-test/

Results seem to vary from negligible to up to 20%. Interestingly there's a performance regression in Watchdogs Legion.

They were using a 5800X. Do you mind me asking what processor you're using? Gains could be processor or worse motherboard specific.

Its a 3700x paired with it. Definitely about 20% jump for me anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Its a 3700x paired with it. Definitely about 20% jump for me anyway...

Does it work with the 3000 series CPUs? I thought it was only the 5000 series

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Yes, it does work with the 3xxx series.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It used to only work with the 5000 series but now it works with the 3000 series.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Works with B450 mobos as well. The MSI B450 Tomahawk has a new BIOS that implements it.

Will have to try it out later.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Seems like this does very little now.

Installing bios updates is such a pain, my MB keeps forgetting the boot drive afterwards and I keep thinking I wrecked my PC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

Just been reading and it seems there is a beta firmware for the Aorus z390 boards that work. Seems like I have a little project for Easter. Will post back if I can get it to chooch.

its fairly straight forward

the vbios update is a few clicks and choosing yes yes yes, hardest part is finding the sbios settings but also not hard

wont take long to do it

Nvidia forum has people confirming B4XX boards and Ryzen 2XXX CPUs are working too (at least for some Asus boards anyway)

BArra wrote: »
    its fairly straight forward

the vbios update is a few clicks and choosing yes yes yes, hardest part is finding the sbios settings but also not hard

wont take long to do it

Already done. See my other post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I now have the resizable bar enabled....for all the good it will do me with the games I play....on my 3060TI - Prime X570 Pro MB.

First time updating bios on both MB and card on any computer and there is always that fear of will it come back to life, be happily no issues with the updates.

I did find the I needed to have the GPU update run from a USB rather than the main hard drive, not sure if that is normal and obvious for these updates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭Simi

ForestFire wrote: »
    I did find the I needed to have the GPU update run from a USB rather than the main hard drive, not sure if that is normal and obvious for these updates?

It's normal for motherboard bios updates anyway. Can't recall for GPU bioses. It's been a long time since I flashed one.

Be interesting to see if it makes any appreciable difference in the games I play (if my card ever gets delivered that is). I converted my boot drive from MBR to GPT in preparation, which was pretty nerve wracking to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,199 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Headshot wrote: »
    Surprisingly my MSI GeForce RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO doesnt seem to have the BIOS ready for the resizeable bar

The only available BIOS

z4NqHS4.png

Tried updating my mobo bios, going through the bios to enable resizeable bar

cannot get this enabled and convinced at this stage is the GPU Bios

Finally I got it working

For anyone using MSI Cards, you need to use live updater to download the latest bios for your card

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Do not buy from Alternate.de , bought new, sent open box with cut seals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0frNP0qzxQc
    :D
    I see it was shared before, still great fun...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Seen that earlier, it's gas. Some effort for an April fools joke.

His channel only has 5 videos. All from April 1st over the last 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Screenshot-20210404-071208.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

In stock 13th April when ordered and still showing something similar for a couple of minutes after.

Well it was nice while it lasted. No cancellation yet, but no dispatch either.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Well it was nice while it lasted. No cancellation yet, but no dispatch either.

Same here. Just the "We will email you when we have an estimated delivery date." text on order tracking

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I see Nvidia have said there'll likely be GPU shortages throughout 2021 (might be old news, but I'm only reading it this morning).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    I see Nvidia have said there'll likely be GPU shortages throughout 2021 (might be old news, but I'm only reading it this morning).

Yeah read the same yesterday, not good news is an understatement.

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-graphics-card-supply-2021/

Advertisement