Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I just picked up an EVGA 1080Ti from Ebay for €600 shipped in the end. It was either that or a new Vega 64 Nitro, but I'd only buy a 2nd hand EVGA card due to their incredible transferable warranty.

I have noticed the price of the RTX2080 steadily creeping down, not much between it now at all on OCUK - cheapest RTX2080 is £699 with free shipping, cheapest 1080Ti is about £650 without free shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I just picked up an EVGA 1080Ti from Ebay for €600 shipped in the end. It was either that or a new Vega 64 Nitro, but I'd only buy a 2nd hand EVGA card due to their incredible transferable warranty.

I have noticed the price of the RTX2080 steadily creeping down, not much between it now at all on OCUK - cheapest RTX2080 is £699 with free shipping, cheapest 1080Ti is about £650 without free shipping.

Do you think your 1080ti is a better long term bet than a 2070 for a little less or a 2080 for a bit more?

I'm also looking at new Vega 64 cards (prices seem to be dropping nicely) and also looking at maybe a new 2070 or a secondhand 1080 / 1080ti

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Do you think your 1080ti is a better long term bet than a 2070 for a little less or a 2080 for a bit more?

I'm also looking at new Vega 64 cards (prices seem to be dropping nicely) and also looking at maybe a new 2070 or a secondhand 1080 / 1080ti

1080 Ti will probably beat a 2070 even with DLSS (if it ever gets implemented).

Vega 64 is not a competitor to 1080 Ti/2080, but rather a tier down; and you'd be better off getting a Vega 56 & watercooling it if you want to go AMD right now.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    1080 Ti will probably beat a 2070 even with DLSS (if it ever gets implemented).

Vega 64 is not a competitor to 1080 Ti/2080, but rather a tier down; and you'd be better off getting a Vega 56 & watercooling it if you want to go AMD right now.

Thanks for the tips. I don't have a fixed budget at the moment. I understand the Vega 64 is more akin to a 1080, maybe slightly slower. All I know for certain is that I want to upgrade to 1440p gaming with a new monitor as well. I just think if I go Vega 64 I'd save money going with a freesync monitor and I think the Vega 64 should be good for a while at 1440p gaming. The secondhand market for pascal cards looks tempting, but I'm wary of buying a lemon.

Depends on the game, Vega 64 is generally on-par overall but scores major victories in some AMD-friendly titles like Far Cry 5, where it's not far off the 1080Ti.

Good card and pretty affordable now - OCUK have the Nitro 64 for £480 which is the best 64 you'll get now, runs cool, quiet and fast (and comes with free games).

I'd take the Nitro 64 over a watercooled 56, which would end up costing the same in the end really.

I wouldn't buy 2nd hand either unless it was a) a seller you know and trust to handle any potential RMA or b) an EVGA card as they have stellar warranty and allow for 2nd hand purchases.

I paid €600 posted for my EVGA 1080Ti so I'm satisfied, that's really the upper limit for me going forward.

RTX is all ifs, buts and maybes right now, so I've no interest in those cards due to their high pricing, which is driven by unproven/unsupported tech at this time.

If I hadn't gotten the 1080Ti 2nd hand I would've gotten the Nitro 64 as I also have Freesync monitor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Lads I know this thread is about Raytracing but is no one hyped for the latest Nvida card released two days ago?
    GTX 1060 but this time with gddr5x!!

Nvidia making their intentions clear on wanting to mostly sell 10 series card for now.

tuxy wrote: »
    Lads I know this thread is about Raytracing but is no one hyped for the latest Nvida card released two days ago?
    GTX 1060 but this time with gddr5x!!

Nvidia making their intentions clear on wanting to mostly sell 10 series card for now.

Why innovate when you can just clear stock of GPUs you totally didn't overproduce for mining? :rolleyes:

Depends on the game, Vega 64 is generally on-par overall but scores major victories in some AMD-friendly titles like Far Cry 5, where it's not far off the 1080Ti.

Good card and pretty affordable now - OCUK have the Nitro 64 for £480 which is the best 64 you'll get now, runs cool, quiet and fast (and comes with free games).

I'd take the Nitro 64 over a watercooled 56, which would end up costing the same in the end really.

I wouldn't buy 2nd hand either unless it was a) a seller you know and trust to handle any potential RMA or b) an EVGA card as they have stellar warranty and allow for 2nd hand purchases.

I paid €600 posted for my EVGA 1080Ti so I'm satisfied, that's really the upper limit for me going forward.

RTX is all ifs, buts and maybes right now, so I've no interest in those cards due to their high pricing, which is driven by unproven/unsupported tech at this time.

If I hadn't gotten the 1080Ti 2nd hand I would've gotten the Nitro 64 as I also have Freesync monitor.

I'd read the reviews and I have my eye on the Nitro 64. It was a bit cheaper a few days ago on OCUK. But the general trend seems to be downward. I'm going to hold fire until Black Friday and keep my fingers crossed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Why innovate when you can just clear stock of GPUs you totally didn't overproduce for mining? :rolleyes:

Yep....although they have innovated just not shown the fruits of that inovation. Once the old stock is clear they will push the RTX cards again. Question is do you want to be the person left holding a brand new, old stock 600 euro card? For me I would not, but thats an unpopular opinion. The new 1060 is also a 104 chip same as the 1080/ti so their may be a lot of overclocking headroom. It might actually make sense in that price bracket have to wait till the review s come out on that one.

Is it a surprise that it's not branded a gtx 2060?
    I wonder if they will only use 20 series branding on RTX.

• Advertisement

Wasn't good enough to be named GTX 1060 Ti, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

HELP. What 2070 do I buy?

Is https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07JVWY7SJ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

much better than

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07J5P6TF1/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

or even
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-90YV0C85-M0NA00-Graphics-Card-Black/dp/B07JBL72N8/ref=pd_sbs_147_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07JBL72N8&pd_rd_r=97f7b010-d916-11e8-bcb3-ed34e959671a&pd_rd_w=hI4cb&pd_rd_wg=bo8hf&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=18edf98b-139a-41ee-bb40-d725dd59d1d3&pf_rd_r=3XF2J9D22XK94DTPMFE7&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=3XF2J9D22XK94DTPMFE7
    ? [understand overclocks and one or two frames, but is the strix premium primarily aesthetics? -

About to pull the trigger on one of them, I've £60 amazon credit which will make them all a bit easier on the wallet (hence why they're amazon links) and I've an RX480 Sapphire Nitro 4gb that i'm gonna try offload too for maybe €140 or whatever I can get for it after the fact.

Someone help me spend my money on the RTX series. No interest in 4k.

[I've a Rift and will be primarily a BFV kinda guy] - dont wanna go making a new topic just for this so lets bundle it in with the RTX chats!

I'd definitely go for the 3 fan card over the other two.

You could try buying on OverclockersUK and paying via Amazon account.

Or look at a GTX 1080 for £480 for virtually identical performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

You could try buying on OverclockersUK and paying via Amazon account.

Or look at a GTX 1080 for £480 for virtually identical performance.

I like OCUK but it just pulls your saved payment methods across, dont think it'll acccept amazon gift cards / storecredt as partial payment!

I might wait another few days and see if any more 2070's come into stock.

I'd definitely go for the 3 fan card over the other two.

Would you not base the decision on TU102-300 vs TU102-300A and not number of fans?

Would you not base the decision on TU102-300 vs TU102-300A and not number of fans?
    I don't think we have a database for which card has which chip yet, unfortunately.

The Strix would presumably be the best but for the same price you'd get a brand new 1080Ti on OCUK, which is way faster and they take Amazon payment if that helps.

The Strix would presumably be the best but for the same price you'd get a brand new 1080Ti on OCUK, which is way faster and they take Amazon payment if that helps.

Brand new is an interesting way to put it. New old stock is another :pac::D:pac::D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,023 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Brand new is an interesting way to put it. New old stock is another :pac::D:pac::D:pac:

If it's sealed in a box its brand new.

• Advertisement

Full warranty on the 1080ti if it comes in a sealed box.

Which of the two cards will give you better performance in games? Cheapest 1080ti vs low tier 2070?

Full warranty on the 1080ti if it comes in a sealed box.

Which of the two cards will give you better performance in games? Cheapest 1080ti vs low tier 2070?

The 1080ti is the much better card. They're not comparable, it's the 2080 fills that role.

The 1080ti is the much better card. They're not comparable, it's the 2080 fills that role.

But what about the tensor cores on the 2070, Shadow of the Tomb raider patch could be out this side of Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

But what about the tensor cores on the 2070, Shadow of the Tomb raider patch could be out this side of Christmas!

I think the backlog of games without raytracing will comfortably outweigh it. ;)

I suspect that unless you're going for 2080 ti, there's little reason to worry about raytracing for a couple of years.

I see people dont know what NOS (New old stock) means.....

The 1060 just released is new stock and the 1080ti is old stock.
    Personally I'd go for new stock every time!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

I see people dont know what NOS (New old stock) means.....

I suspect most people just don't care until the new new stock is doing something that the new old stock can't or doing what the new old stock does at a lower price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

If a box is raytraced, and the sun is casting the shadow from behind me. How could I tell if it's raytraced or the shadow is done through old methods.
    Will there be a raytraced trademark which is also raytraced and casting a reflection from behind the box for me to differentate them with?

Or am I just being beligerent?

L wrote: »
    I suspect most people just don't care until the new new stock is doing something that the new old stock can't or doing what the new old stock does at a lower price point.

But having a 20 series card is like having a car with an 18 plate even if it is a Dacia the neighbors will still be impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

But having a 20 series card is like having a car with an 18 plate even if it is a Dacia the neighbors will still be impressed.

As long as they know nothing about cars.

The point is the 1080TI gives exactly the same performance for 99% of the current games and upcoming titles but it costs €100 less.

Some people just seem to accept the hopes and dreams that NVidia are selling with ray tracing but realistically you are better off buying some magic beans with that extra €100 and you would probably get a better return.

Even if raytracing does take off, it probably won't be for another 2 to 3 years i.e. not in the lifetime of these cards at which stage these cards will be obsolete/useless and you'll have to upgrade again to get any real value from ray tracing.

Advertisement