Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

TitianGerm wrote: »
    There's a Palit 2080 available on Laptops Direct for £699. Think that's the cheapest I've seen one so far.

OCUK have that Palit one a good while now for £689 with free shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,023 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

OCUK have that Palit one a good while now for £689 with free shipping.

I see they have the GeForce 1080Ti for £579 as well. £110 cheaper than that 2080.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I see they have the GeForce 1080Ti for £579 as well. £110 cheaper than that 2080.

That price will fall even further soon.

At the moment they're trickling out 20series stock to maintain a false supply deficite in an attempt to continue to justify high 10 series prices because they have so much left over 10 series stock. They're trying to move some of this 10 series stock without affecting prices of the 1070/ti and 1080/ti cards by doing stupid crap like underclocking the cores used in the 1070/ti and 1080 and selling them as a 1060 with SLI capability and GDDR5/X ram to try get rid of their over stock of GP104 cores and GDDR5/X ram modules.
    They're doing this in the hopes they can stave off the incoming polaris 7nm refresh in the "mid tier" market whille maintaining the prices of the higher end 10 and 20 series cards while shifting overstock. It's absolute horse ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,023 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That price will fall even further soon.

At the moment they're trickling out 20series stock to maintain a false supply deficite in an attempt to continue to justify high 10 series prices because they have so much left over 10 series stock. They're trying to move some of this 10 series stock without affecting prices of the 1070/ti and 1080/ti cards by doing stupid crap like underclocking the cores used in the 1070/ti and 1080 and selling them as a 1060 with SLI capability and GDDR5/X ram to try get rid of their over stock of GP104 cores and GDDR5/X ram modules.
    They're doing this in the hopes they can stave off the incoming polaris 7nm refresh in the "mid tier" market whille maintaining the prices of the higher end 10 and 20 series cards while shifting overstock. It's absolute horse ****.

How much would the 10 series cards cost before the crypto craze?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

How much would the 10 series cards cost before the crypto craze?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/trends/price/video-card/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Siskods9 wrote: »
    Unusual high failure rates for GeForce RTX 2080 Ti?
    https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/unusual-high-failure-rates-for-geforce-rtx-2080-ti.html

Will be the weekend before I can put it into my loop and test it.

Am feeling sick :mad:

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

ED E wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac::pac:

not a widespread problem but will be reported widely and blown out of proportion....no need to worry but I cannot find that post you quoted anywhere....

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

not a widespread problem but will be reported widely and blown out of proportion....no need to worry but I cannot find that post you quoted anywhere....

It looks like you have now. ;)

(For the future, you can click the little arrow beside the username to go directly to any quoted post)

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/rtx-2080-ti-gpu-defects-launch,37995.html

Looks like it might be a cooler issue combined with the location of the memory on the card

Nvidia's also now responded stating the rmas don't represent an unusually large number of cards for a launch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Shadow of the tomb raider received another patch 2 days ago. No RTX!
    Has it been confirmed that Battlefield 5 will have RTX when it's released in 18 days?
    Or has RTX support been pushed back to 2019 for all games that plan to support it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Moved my monies around to get a 9900K , will look at the 2080s this time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

tuxy wrote: »
    Shadow of the tomb raider received another patch 2 days ago. No RTX!
    Has it been confirmed that Battlefield 5 will have RTX when it's released in 18 days?
    Or has RTX support been pushed back to 2019 for all games that plan to support it?

When I stopped playing BF1, DX12 was still considered "beta". Might still be today. I'd have my doubts on raytracing being available at launch.

GamersNexus reporting rumours that GTX 1080 Ti stock is dwindling & the cards haven't been produced in foundries for weeks.

Now would be a good time to buy if you're on the fence.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    GamersNexus reporting rumours that GTX 1080 Ti stock is dwindling & the cards haven't been produced in foundries for weeks.

Now would be a good time to buy if you're on the fence.

Well thats one way to look at it....:pac::pac::pac:
    One group are betting that RTX and DLSS will be good, the other betting that its wont be. There will be plenty of 1080 ti's second hand either way (there is at the moment) so dont worry too much. Remember if you do buy one....tell everyone you got it 80-100 euros cheaper than you actually did so it makes sense.

When I stopped playing BF1, DX12 was still considered "beta". Might still be today. I'd have my doubts on raytracing being available at launch.

That's what I'm worried about. Does anyone want to guess what will be first game with ray tracing support? Metro Exodus at the end of February 2019 perhaps?

Remember if you do buy one....tell everyone you got it 80-100 euros cheaper than you actually did so it makes sense.

That's a bit random there Fitz. Are you looking for figures that show you spent three times as much for a 25% boost and some promises, or are you looking to audit our receipts? :pac:

L wrote: »
    That's a bit random there Fitz. Are you looking for figures that show you spent three times as much for a 25% boost and some promises, or are you looking to audit our receipts? :pac:

Its no more random a comment than discussion of discontinued pascal on the RTX thread, but seeing as I sold my 1080ti for more than chaps are saying they are new, I am dubious about the man maths going on around the 2080 versus 1080ti debate.

, I am dubious about the man maths going on around the 2080 versus 1080ti debate.

The only maths going on in this thread was as follows:

1) If both cards are the same price it makes sense to get the RTX2080.

2) When the cheapest 1080Ti is £100 cheaper than the cheapest RTX2080, that also makes sense to buy.

That is literally it. Anyone who shells out significantly more cash for an RTX2080 over a 1080Ti is taking a gamble that it'll pay off. Maybe it will, maybe it won't.

But people buying 1080Ti's for £580-600 right now are not making a stupid choice, at all.

Its no more random a comment than discussion of discontinued pascal on the RTX thread, but seeing as I sold my 1080ti for more than chaps are saying they are new, I am dubious about the man maths going on around the 2080 versus 1080ti debate.

I genuinely haven't seen anyone saying that Fitz. I think I'm still quoting the cheapest figure for a new 1080 Ti on the thread which was still €80 more than you sold on your 1080 Ti for (and that bundle isn't even available any longer).

What is happening a good bit though is there's fairly frequent short run deals on 1080 Ti cards in and around the £600/€680 mark. If you can get one of those, it makes the 1080 Ti significantly more attractive than the 2080.

As for continued discussion of Pascal, you're going to see that until something that's a knockout blow comes along from Turing. That means mass support of ray-tracing by devs or significantly cheaper chips. Neither of those I'd expect to see this year.

• Advertisement

L wrote: »
    As for continued discussion of Pascal, you're going to see that until something that's a knockout blow comes along from Turing. That means mass support of ray-tracing by devs or significantly cheaper chips. Neither of those I'd expect to see this year.

The thread title should be changed or we should start a new one. I don't think we need to see any major support of ray tracing to have discussion about it even one game or benchmark could be interesting but unfortunately it looks like it will be next year until a single game or benchmark supports the technology.

The thread title should be changed or we should start a new one. I don't think we need to see any major support of ray tracing to have discussion about it even one game or benchmark could be interesting but unfortunately it looks like it will be next year until a single game or benchmark supports the technology.

You might well be right about the thread title. I'm definitely interested in more discussion of Ray tracing, but I don't think we have much new to discuss at the second.

The current consensus seems to be fairly settled- 10 series for value, more of a toss up on the 2080/1080 Ti, and the 2080 Ti if you want to spend an astronomical amount for the most performance currently available.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

That's what I'm worried about. Does anyone want to guess what will be first game with ray tracing support? Metro Exodus at the end of February 2019 perhaps?

There will be a handful of games over the next 2 years using RTX features. In the same way there is a handful of games running decent DX12 engines now.

This is going to be pretty much what happened to AMD but in reverse. They release the tech real early, like hardware pipeline for low level API's(see Turing and games that were traditionally AMD wins) but a lack of any real support for years. Game studios move damm slow these days, DX12 and ray tracing on top are going to see a slow uptake. By the time any games come out, AMD will have a GPU or add in card leveraging the API.

DLSS support should be quicker.....but I feel that the current status quo suits Nvidia well enough so they are in no rush. Metro would be my best bet. I would be happy to get the 3dmark benchmark mind you.

DLSS support should be quicker.....but I feel that the current status quo suits Nvidia well enough so they are in no rush.

Is DLSS supported by the current drivers? Isn't it up to games developers now to implement it in games? If it's easy it could be a good way to promote a game, being the first to implement this feature.

Is DLSS supported by the current drivers? Isn't it up to games developers now to implement it in games? If it's easy it could be a good way to promote a game, being the first to implement this feature.

Yes...it need submitting to Nvidia for "supercomputer" stuff and then integration into the game....its not all that easy but removing the performance of AA would be a big performance gain in one fell swoop, one could theorise why its not out already...suspicious....all those pascals gone yet?.....

Caseking AiB cards only:
    SKU | GTX1080 | GTX1080Ti | RTX2080 | RTX2080Ti
    RMA rate | 7.1% | 4.6% | 0.17% | 1.4%

Not a small RMA rate given the card is barely out. Interesting to see how it develops.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Not a small RMA rate given the card is barely out. Interesting to see how it develops.

The small owner base of the new RTX cards due to the high cost over previous gen along with the lack of games that make use of the new RTX features, would boost those RMA figures up a good deal as well I would imagine.

• Advertisement

Was the point of that video not that the RMA rate is very low on partner RTX cards? 5% of 1080ti's and 7% of 1080 is more alarming albeit larger N at risk for more time, as he specifically says a RMA rate below 3% is fine...

Also founders is the reference design which most of the AIB's use also.

Dont let the information in the video get in the way of the narrative, ...RTX Bad.... :rolleyes:

Advertisement