Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,740 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

tuxy wrote: »
    But what about the story that's an integral part of every battlefield?
    The story in the last few battlefield games has been garbage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

awec wrote: »
    The story in the last few battlefield games has been garbage.

They will never beat the story from Battlefield 1942!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

L wrote: »
    I'd normally agree with you on this one Fitz, but Friday night I had to deal with someone else here jumping down my throat on something that bore no resemblance to what I'd actually written.

I normally enjoy (politely ;) ) arguing around things as it gives me a reason to sharpen up my knowledge and break a few of my own preconceptions. That I really didn't enjoy.

I simply asked you and others for proof of your statements, something not 1 of ye have done yet. I have not attacked you or terror. I'm just sick of this non story "RMA issue". I have never seen it brought up and mentioned so many times with anything else in the past.

The worst part is it's completely untrue. I don't know if you know how the media works these days. There's an appetite for negative RTX stories so there's a lot of negative RTX stories out there. Truth and facts come second to that.

I've seen a lot of crap posted here from normally spot on posters but RTX seems to have soured their normally unbiased views. I don't have a bloody RTX and I don't intend on getting 1 either but I can still remain unbiased and objective.

If ye want to cherry pick certain stats to try and sell a negative narrative so be it. I will just counter it every time with some unbiased facts. Partner 2080tis have a 1.4% return rate, far below the norm and slightly higher than the exceptionally low 0.1% of the 1080. I like how ye don't mention the 1080ti's return rate was above 5%. Where was the outrage over 1080ti returns?

Also note these are return rates, not failure rates. Some people just have buyers remorse and decide to refund which seems to be more common with the top tier cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think to be fair, all I said was that if the RX590 had much higher failure (should've said RMA) rates than the RX580 that we'd also be talking about it. I also was only pointing out the much higher return rate of the 2080ti comparitive with that of the 2080 as it is interesting, I didn't make any other remark on it. I've contribued almost nothing to the RMA discussion as frankly I don't care about it, I think everyone knows my main gripe with the RTX series is the outrageous pricing and aggressive marketing justifying said pricing despite inability to deliver anything other than an almost unusable novelty factor.

The other side of the coin is that some people are so seemingly desperate to defend the RTX and/or their purchase (and I am not saying this about you Bloodbath at all in case you think I'm being specific) that completely valid, logical reasoning gets dismissed as 'RTX bashing', jealousy, or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

, all I said was that if the RX590 had much higher failure (should've said RMA) rates than the RX580 that we'd also be talking about it.

Honestly I dont think we would for one simple reason nobody could care less about the rx590. At least people seem to care about the RTX cards be it good of bad, even if you dont like them we cant stop talking about them.
    The other side of the coin is that some people are so seemingly desperate to attack the RTX and/or their purchase (a new old stock pascal for instance ;)) that completely valid, logical reasoning gets dismissed as 'RTX fanboism', bragging, or whatever.

FYP...you have to admit...the reporting on RTX has been very dodgy and the glee with which people lap it up attests to a certain wish for early adopters to crash and burn, and a chance to tell them "told ya". I am very happy with mine and look forward to better RTX titles which I enjoy playing more than BF5, I am sorry if that annoying but its the truth and most people online seem happy with theirs. The end of the video K.O.Kiki posted sums it up very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

BloodBath wrote: »
    I simply asked you and others for proof of your statements, something not 1 of ye have done yet. I have not attacked you or terror. I'm just sick of this non story "RMA issue". I have never seen it brought up and mentioned so many times with anything else in the past.

You demanded proof of things I hadn't said or implied bloodbath.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Honestly I dont think we would for one simple reason nobody could care less about the rx590. At least people seem to care about the RTX cards be it good of bad, even if you dont like them we cant stop talking about them.

FYP...you have to admit...the reporting on RTX has been very dodgy and the glee with which people lap it up attests to a certain wish for early adopters to crash and burn, and a chance to tell them "told ya". I am very happy with mine and look forward to better RTX titles which I enjoy playing more than BF5, I am sorry if that annoying but its the truth and most people online seem happy with theirs. The end of the video K.O.Kiki posted sums it up very well.

People just think its a terrible value proposition, and RTX has failed to deliver anything worthwhile to date, the prospects of it delivering anything in the medium term are fairly remote, same goes for DLSS. It's not a personal attack on you, this whole thread seems to be one man's quest to justify his purchase.

You can pretty much build a fairly high end AMD gaming PC with a 2nd hand 1080TI for the cost of one of these cards, given what RTX is likely to deliver gamewise in the next 6 months it a fairly stark comparison.

Well at least I can agree on one thing with Fitz, played a few hours of the new Battlefield and I don't really dig it, and I say that as a major BF fan and someone who even thought Hardline was alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Well at least I can agree on one thing with Fitz, played a few hours of the new Battlefield and I don't really dig it, and I say that as a major BF fan and someone who even thought Hardline was alright.

And as of today BFV is free with RTX cards, so maybe my patience wlil be rewarded...!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You demanded proof of things I hadn't said or implied bloodbath.

Fair enough. I misread that. I was more responding to a combination of posts from a few people rather than you specifically.

I just didn't want to end up quote blocking everything.

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote: »
    this whole thread seems to be one man's quest to justify his purchase.

See thats a bit unfair and makes me seem irrational even when I am being rational. The burden of proof seems to be on me, as any time I make a list of good points, people just move onto the next thing they can pluck out of the air.

Apart from the fact that you can never really justify high end computer games hardware it always silly, and despite the fact that the speed improvements and RTX features are a justification but not in your eyes, your pushing me to be a dick about it which I dont want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Will it even have Ray Tracing? Given how much that drops fps on the more powerful cards, it's hard to imagine it could be used on this card, which presumably has less cores of all flavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Yeah this is where the RTX label may be confusing for some. Many will assume all RTX cards can do Ray tracing. Call it the GTX 2060.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

When will we start to see DLSS getting in on the action?
    Surely that will help performance if it works as good as it sounds.
    Ray tracing is amazing tech for a nerd like me if somewhat impractical as if right now, hopefully this will change.
    What we see in BFV is just the beginning, and in fairness not the best platform to showcase this tech but in time as it advances and performance improves akong with cost of entry we may well look back at this thread and have a little chuckle :)

When I say cost of entry I mean if we are being honest it's only really the very expensive 2080ti where we are seeing true ray tracing.
    Again hopefully this changes as performance increases the 2080 , 2070 and now 2060 might be able to up the anti.

Regardless of all the negativity with cost and performance I do feel it's a very interesting topic ,in a way I want to criticize Nvidia for the cost but at the same time this is amazing innovation and great to see it happening in front of our eye's be it from videos only for now if like me you simply cannot justify the 2080ti price.

Looking forward to seeing how it all evolves and in some games that can better showcase it ie not a fast paced multiplayer shooter where you don't have time to breathe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Dcully wrote: »

Looking forward to seeing how it all evolves and in some games that can better showcase it ie not a fast paced multiplayer shooter where you don't have time to breathe.

The new Metro Exodus is due February. Hopefully this will shine some light on what RTX can bring.

2080Ti has fallen to £999 on OCUK with free shipping + BFV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

superg wrote: »
    Yeah this is where the RTX label may be confusing for some. Many will assume all RTX cards can do Ray tracing. Call it the GTX 2060.

It should in theory be on par with the 1070 but if like the 2070 the RTX side of things is weak core wise, its price will make or break if it suffers from the RTX tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

The new Metro Exodus is due February. Hopefully this will shine some light on what RTX can bring.

https://youtu.be/BJznsmQtwVI

• Advertisement

The Titan RTX looks to be on the way.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/225-hardware-news/1714800-various-nvidia-s-unannounced-titan-rtx-graphics-card-teased.html

If Nvidia is crazy enough to factor the previous Titan's pricing over 1080/1080Ti cards into its cost, this could put it into the $2000-3000 range pacman.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I'm calling it: $1,999.

My guess as Titans have previously cost 3 times the cost of the XX80 card, will put it a tad under $2100.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

So much for the 2080 Ti being the new titan.

Cant say its unexpected though.

thats soo cool, However I do think there is something fishy with the leaks and I dont know why Nvidia would be wanting a surprise release, already having given youtubers samples??

If its real and not some prank on us salivating Nvidia fanboys I would say it will have stellar performance...and christmas is coming????

thats soo cool, However I do think there is something fishy with the leaks and I dont know why Nvidia would be wanting a surprise release, already having given youtubers samples??

If its real and not some prank on us salivating Nvidia fanboys I would say it will have stellar performance...and christmas is coming????

Mostly serious question Fitz, what are you thinking for the secondhand price on your 2080 Ti? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

The 2080ti is only slightly cut down from the full TU102 chip. There's not much room for Titan to improve over the 2080ti.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/nvidia-tu102.g813

Titan would have 5.9% more shaders and tensor cores, and 9% more ROPs, and either 12 or 24 GB VRAM. I doubt the clocks will be significantly faster either. They'll probably go with the 24GB VRAM to justify the undoubtedly insane price.

Mostly serious question Fitz, what are you thinking for the secondhand price on your 2080 Ti? ;)

A Grand....I wouldnt sell I am not a titan kinda guy but I do appreciate them. They might go to HBM2+ on the titan...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It'll still struggle with raytracing in BFV.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    It'll still struggle with raytracing in BFV.

Funny thing that gets no traction is that BFV has a internal render slider. I set it to 80% and leave AA on. DXR at ultra. So it renders the game at 80% of UWHD and outputs at full UWHD. I can get a solid 60 fps which is pretty good. I cannot see the difference myself between it and a 100% render. BFV is still a rubbish game mind you.

Advertisement