Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I missed the live event so just catching up with some videos now.

Some good info here about the changes and the applications. Great stuff for developers and content creators as well as gamers.

Even using the GPU to speed up high end SSD's to get something like the PS5's capability.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,649 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Have to feel sort of sorry for anyone trying to sell a 2080ti on adverts at the moment (despite some of the ludicrous prices), already being brigaded by comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Amount of clowns on there as well who clearly have no interest in buying the card, they just get a thrill out of spoiling the ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

ive a 1080ti for sale there, wondering what its new value should be...

BArra wrote: »
    ive a 1080ti for sale there, wondering what its new value should be...

Impossible to really tell until benchmarks come out, mostly down to how the 3070 will match up against it at 500 quid new. If it's a case that the 3070 beats it across the board it'll probably take a big hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

These new cards are gonna be hard to get for a while. Most people don't keep up to date on the latest tech either.

I wouldn't change the price too much. There's still some advantages with that card like the amount of memory for some applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Currently in the process of building a PC, mostly for gaming and getting away from consoles (hopefully). I've sourced a decent bundle on a 3700x CPU with an MSI B450 carbon max board, as everything I looked at before today suggested there'd be no issues with that board. Before I pull the trigger on that, is there any reason to be skeptical that the PCIe's won't be good enough? Don't know if there's enough info out there yet...
    Probably gonna look at trying to get a 3070 or 3080.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Azza wrote: »
    I mean they are using the word Big, so its got to be Big right?

Knowing AMD it may well be. Time for the GPU pillar again? I still remember my 7990 fondly.

I really want to get my hands on a 90. But I'll have to upgrade the rest of my system too so I need to wait for new CPU's. But I don't want to miss out on the Founders card. It's so pretty!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Spear wrote: »
    Time to retire my 2x 1080 Founders Editions. I got nigh on 5 years of good service from them, which is pretty much unheard of in the GPU world, if not all of gaming hardware. But they're showing their age, with a few recent titles like Control and Flight Sim stressing them heavily.

Jaysus, if you think dual 1080s are showing their age in control, what must you think of me and my 1060 3GB :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Recently been seeing people pay up to €900 for MSI 2080 Tis that were OEM blower style made for pre builts.

My god those poor people:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

EoinHef wrote: »
    My god those poor people:(

They have only themselves to blame. Even the most basic bit of research would have showed the new cards right around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Homelander wrote: »
    Amount of clowns on there as well who clearly have no interest in buying the card, they just get a thrill out of spoiling the ads.

And wait till the 3080 cards are launched you will have pricks on there selling the 2nd one they bought for x2 the price! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Rob2D wrote: »
    Knowing AMD it may well be. Time for the GPU pillar again? I still remember my 7990 fondly.

I really want to get my hands on a 90.

I thought the 3090 is really a Titan replacement so not really a consumer version

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

So has the claim the 3070 is on par with the 2080ti been confirmed or do we need to wait for reviews?

I see tech Jesus is saying that's what nvidia have said. Exciting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

So has the claim the 3070 is on par with the 2080ti been confirmed or do we need to wait for reviews?

Nvidia claimed it in the event but I'd wait until reviews for that to be confirmed, to me it does look like a significant leap.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Jaysus, if you think dual 1080s are showing their age in control, what must you think of me and my 1060 3GB :pac:

mkPS36c.jpg

I'll be going for the 3090, and if I'm happy with it, there's good odds of adding a second. While SLI has been heavily marginilised, I'm looking at them for distributed computing work.

According to Jayztwocents, a contact of his has said SLI is dead.

According to Jayztwocents, a contact of his has said SLI is dead.

For the 3080 and 3070 yeah. He mentions that it'll still be possible with the 3090

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

3090 has the NVLink connector, the rest of the line-up doesn't, afaik.

Edit: Already answered :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Spear wrote: »
    I'm looking at them for distributed computing work.

What is that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Sli has been dead for a long time now from a software POV for gaming. It's just not worth it, most games either support it poorly or barely at all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

What is that

Doing computing work for scientific projects. In my case it's mostly maths currently. And you can see the results of some of it here:

http://www.primegrid.com/primes/?section=primelist&userid=37675

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

3080 for me I suspect - sold my 2080ti about a month ago for 850 - don't think you'd get that now!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,027 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Nedved85 wrote: »
    3080 for me I suspect - sold my 2080ti about a month ago for 850 - don't think you'd get that now!

That buyer is probably feeling sick now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

System performance is impacted by many factors and the impact varies between applications. The impact is typically less than a few percent going from a x16 PCIE 4.0 to x16 PCIE 3.0. CPU selection often has a larger impact on performance.We look forward to new platforms that can fully take advantage of Gen4 capabilities for potential performance increases.

from the current Reddit AMA

• Registered Users Posts: 28,027 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Really tempted by the 3090. But the sheer size of it could be difficult to fit in.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Really tempted by the 3090. But the sheer size of it could be difficult to fit in.

That's what she ... wait, forget it, too easy

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Nedved85 wrote: »

That's like those stories you hear of farmers who sold land for millions in 2007 before shít hit the fan. You essentially got yourself a free upgrade and a few quid in the bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

1362218-gf-comp-guide-3090-case-size-l.png
    "Clearance: Must have space for 12.3" (313mm) x 5.4" (138mm) x 3-slot card"

It's about the same size as a XFX THICC III

2165811-n0.jpg

Advertisement