Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Outside of the 2080ti - which everyone knew was overpriced at the time to fit a very niche market/give nvidia something to hype - will second hand GPUs really going for that much less than they should?

A zotac 2070s for 350 - so that's a 12/15 month old card going for 150 less than it's msrp? Seems reasonable tbh. GPUs for some bizarre reason seemed to be immune to the regular depreciation all other tech items suffer for a while and now, in a twist of irony/outright cheek to be fair, it's nvidia restoring a bit of normality. About bloody time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Mucashinto wrote: »
    Outside of the 2080ti - which everyone knew was overpriced at the time to fit a very niche market/give nvidia something to hype - will second hand GPUs really going for that much less than they should?

A zotac 2070s for 350 - so that's a 12/15 month old card going for 150 less than it's msrp? Seems reasonable tbh. GPUs for some bizarre reason seemed to be immune to the regular depreciation all other tech items suffer for a while and now, in a twist of irony/outright cheek to be fair, it's nvidia restoring a bit of normality. About bloody time.

It's a slippery slope. For example the 2070S is more or less on par with the 1080ti in terms of non RTX performance but it also has RTX capabilities etc. So if you are placing the 2070s at €350 then the 1080ti is going to be significantly below that.

the 3070 will be €500 and will be significantly more powerful then either of those cards. Between the 2070s and the 3070 you have the 2080, 2080s and 2080ti. So now the €350 for the 2070s doesn't seem that good value.

the 3070 has squashed the last generation cards together in terms of real value to the point that the €200 - €400 range is ultra-competitive and demand will be for the higher RTX cards - pushing the value of the others even lower.

All of this without considering current and future AMD cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Aint gonna ****e all over peoples ads on adverts but some people are bat **** crazy......the prices they are looking for. Suddenly the €180 for my GTX1060 Inno3d iChill x3 (6GB) looks a bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Aint gonna ****e all over peoples ads on adverts but some people are bat **** crazy......the prices they are looking for. Suddenly the €180 for my GTX1060 Inno3d iChill x3 (6GB) looks a bargain!

Completely agree, anyone buying a 2080ti for more than 450€ right now is making a mistake.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Completely agree, anyone buying a 2080ti for more than 450€ right now is making a mistake.

At the very least they should just wait a week or 2 and see what the benchmarks and reviews are like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,649 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

More than likely. But if it turns out the 3070 is only better in raytracing scenarios and the 3080 is just a bit better across the board, anyone who got one for 450 has gotten a steal. Big gamble though, but the 2080ti isn't just going to drop off a cliff performance wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

In fairness this is being reported on over at hardwareswap on reddit and that, people are losing their **** trying to sell their 2080TI's because they think they've plummeted in value even though we've yet to see actual benchmarks and real application testing. 3070/3080 also lacks nvlink and have less ram than the 2080TI as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

More than likely. But it turns out the 3070 is only better in raytracing scenarios and the 3080 is just a bit better across the board, anyone who got one for 450 has gotten a steal. Big gamble though, but the 2080ti isn't just going to drop off a cliff performance wise.

Absolutely, at this stage it' might be better to hold onto a 2080ti and let the dust settle a week or two.

Absolutely, at this stage it' might be better to hold onto a 2080ti and let the dust settle a week or two.

Yeah I suppose the other side that sellers are probably looking at is it's a gamble on their end too to try and find someone who's willing to pay 500+ for it now vs it being confirmed in a couple weeks that a brand new 500 quid card is going to be better than theirs.

I don't envy them, but to be honest if I was in their shoes I'd just hold on to it either way and get a bit more time out of it and wait for a super/ti range and take the hit then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Given I'm still running a 980Ti, I'm really wanting to grab a 3080 for the significant upgrade (especially since the 3090 is a few hundred quid out of my budget). The fact it only has 10GB of VRAM has me a little concerned that I won't be future-proofed for very long though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Rumours of a 20GB 3080 coming in October, from the same Twitterer who correctly predicted much of the initial launch yesterday (FWIW).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Rumours of a 20GB 3080 coming in October, from the same Twitterer who correctly predicted much of the initial launch yesterday (FWIW).

It makes sense. If it doesn't come in October I would imagine it won't be too far off. Highly likely Nvidia are holding back cards to drop when Big Navi comes to try and spoil AMD's launch.

I'd say it's a certainty we will see a 3080Ti with more VRAM being the main selling point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

When can we expect to see an actual real use benchmark of the 3000 series cards?

kingtiger wrote: »
    When can we expect to see an actual real use benchmark of the 3000 series cards?

Usually about 2-3 days before release....so roughly about the 15th Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Im probably going to pick one of these up when released, tempted by the 3090. The only problem is Im working out of a silverstone SG13 itx build and would obviously need to upgrade the case. Any recommendations on a SFF case that would house one of these monsters?

wingnut32 wrote: »
    Im probably going to pick one of these up when released, tempted by the 3090. The only problem is Im working out of a silverstone SG13 itx build and would obviously need to upgrade the case. Any recommendations on a SFF case that would house one of these monsters?

CoolerMaster NR200 should be able to squeeze a 3090 founders, but it's not really a true SFF case at 20L but it's still pretty small considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

CoolerMaster NR200 should be able to squeeze a 3090 founders, but it's not really a true SFF case at 20L but it's still pretty small considering.

I was keeping an eye on that one, just no availability anywhere atm.

• Administrators Posts: 53,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Really considering that 3090, but I'm rocking a 1070 at the moment so would probably need a whole new build. Hard on the wallet!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

awec wrote: »
    Really considering that 3090, but I'm rocking a 1070 at the moment so would probably need a whole new build. Hard on the wallet!

Im really hoping to get an EVGA 3080 and go for the step up. With the leaks coming out of ti or super variants being held back for big navi, ill either upgrade to the 3080ti or 3090(if 3080ti doesnt actually arrive) then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Hrrm. Rumourmill says limited stock until the end of the year. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to whether Nvidia's having supply issues, or if they're holding something better back to spoil AMD's next reveal?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

L wrote: »
    Hrrm. Rumourmill says limited stock until the end of the year. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to whether Nvidia's having supply issues, or if they're holding something better back to spoil AMD's next reveal?

Strange overclockers lads have said they expect there to be plenty of cards available from launch. "We expect good volume on these cards"

Also if they were that stuck for supply i wouldnt have expected so many partner cards to be available from launch. Either way i plan on pre ordering!

L wrote: »

Had heard both, that there'll be decent stock and that there won't be enough. Few people saying it might be a ploy to try and push early sales too to get ahead of the AMD release. Not the most believable of tactics though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

wingnut32 wrote: »

Probably won't be available in time, but the upcoming Sugo 14 can take triple slot cards up to 330mm in length and 148mm wide.

Big debate on the OCUK forum that 10GB on the 3080 is not really enough, considering that the 1080ti had 11GB memory. And that the ti variant is not too long behind it hence the low RAM onboard.

Them boys have nothing better to do.....lol

Think I will wait for the 4000 series!

1080ti seems to have dropped right down to $350 and going regularly over on r/hardwareswaps, and 2080 supers for $400.

Mental stuff.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Big debate on the OCUK forum that 10GB on the 3080 is not really enough, considering that the 1080ti had 11GB memory. And that the ti variant is not too long behind it hence the low RAM onboard.

Them boys have nothing better to do.....lol

Think I will wait for the 4000 series!

I saw a Q&A session on Reddit with Nvidia about the vram sizing. Nvidia guy said that they monitored the amount of RAM in use for all the major current games and it was well below 10GB - even on 4k - peaking at 7Gb I think. So the decison was made to go with 10Gb to keep cost down on the lower end cards. Probably wont see any 30xx cards less than 8Gb

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I saw a Q&A session on Reddit with Nvidia about the vram sizing. Nvidia guy said that they monitored the amount of RAM in use for all the major current games and it was well below 10GB - even on 4k - peaking at 7Gb I think. So the decison was made to go with 10Gb to keep cost down on the lower end cards. Probably wont see any 30xx cards less than 8Gb

Did that include Flight Sim 2020......:confused:

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Doom eternal in 4k looks impressive did see it dip below 100 fps a few times but mainly hovering over the 120 mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

And yet we see games with no more than 4-5G usage and streaming / pop-in on 8G cards. It doesn't matter how much memory you have physically if the software is not using it.

Advertisement