Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Did that include Flight Sim 2020......:confused:

;)

More than likely not but I'd wager that DX12 will fix alot of FS2020 issues

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Going for the 3090, sat out the 20s as they were not worth the cost/increase.

Have a 1080ti

I've a 1080 and same boat but for a 3080, this is going to be a very good generation.
    Still waiting on Big Navi news though

• Registered Users Posts: 21,691 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I saw a Q&A session on Reddit with Nvidia about the vram sizing. Nvidia guy said that they monitored the amount of RAM in use for all the major current games and it was well below 10GB - even on 4k - peaking at 7Gb I think. So the decison was made to go with 10Gb to keep cost down on the lower end cards. Probably wont see any 30xx cards less than 8Gb

GDDR6X as well will probably play a part too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Cheap hardware upgrades is a hobby in and of itself now. You'd swear it was oil futures people are talking about on reddit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Doom eternal in 4k looks impressive did see it dip below 100 fps a few times but mainly hovering over the 120 mark

That is quite impressive. Little bit of a teaser bench against the 2080 ti as well

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Doom Eternal is such a good looking yet smooth running game. Hats off to the developers. At 1440p max settings I'm well north of 100FPS most of the time with 5700XT. Even had to turn on Enhanced Sync to stop tearing when I exceeded the 165Hz max refresh of my monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

EKWB waterblocks are up.

Interestingly, they are for "reference PCBs" but NOT the Nvidia Founder's Edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    EKWB waterblocks are up.

Interestingly, they are for "reference PCBs" but NOT the Nvidia Founder's Edition.

So the V-shape is non-reference. Does that mean all the AIB partners' launch cards are using the same "reference" board (non-V), I wonder? Edit: Never mind, I didn't read the link properly.

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What sort of money you think you'd get for a used 1070 these days, in light of this announcement? Couple hundred at best I guess?

awec wrote: »
    What sort of money you think you'd get for a used 1070 these days, in light of this announcement? Couple hundred at best I guess?

I'd say stick it up for 200 or so and see what offers you get. There's a couple up at the moment from anywhere from 210-300 but very few offers on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Rumours of a 20GB 3080 coming in October, from the same Twitterer who correctly predicted much of the initial launch yesterday (FWIW).

Saw a leaked spec sheet for the 3080ti and it had 20GB ram so it might be that.

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'd say stick it up for 200 or so and see what offers you get. There's a couple up at the moment from anywhere from 210-300 but very few offers on them.

Wouldn't be selling it til I can replace it, no way I could live without my fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

I dont see why they will release a ti variant with double the VRAM. Of all the things to increase I doubt its that. 2070 and 2070 S have the same amount of VRAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

jebidiah wrote: »
    I dont see why they will release a ti variant with double the VRAM. Of all the things to increase I doubt its that. 2070 and 2070 S have the same amount of VRAM.

Because the AMD cards probably have 16GB on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

awec wrote: »

€200 is absolute top IMHO... I wouldn't pay that much for one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Yeah, I have my 1060 up for about 3 weeks not a single bite. Wont even get a look in now......ahh well, the card owes me nothing. Shame I am gonna have a full i5 rig here doing nothing next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-provides-further-details-on-geforce-rtx-30-series / https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/iko4u7/geforce_rtx_30series_community_qa_submit_your/g3qkrzk/?context=3

Nvidia affirming that RTX 3070 is faster than 2080 Ti in all games.

Just for fun, I learned how to make charts!

1siZqj5.png
    As you can see, while RTX 2080 was a bad launch (799 for Founder's Edition), the previously championed 1080 Ti wasn't great either.
    It's clear however that 700-ish has been the norm for a while, with only the GTX 980 as an outlier in terms of relative value.

jqxVOLk.png
    Well!
    If Nvidia's claims of a 60-70% increase from RTX 2080 -> 3080 are to be believed, we have a generational leap on our hands, the likes of which haven't been seen since 8800 GTX -> GTX 280 & GTX 285 -> GTX 480!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

that's going to cause a lot of downward pressure on previous cards for sure so!

Just means the worst card anyone is going to put into a new build over the next few months is going to be a very very good card, because all the pricing has just moved one tier down i'd say

• Advertisement

Two sold for €700 yesterday too. Water cooled one up for €680 as well.

Because the AMD cards probably have 16GB on board.

But you're just ****ing yourself there as anyone who bought a 2080 now knows that a super will be coming out after launch for a slightly higher price. So why would anyone buy a 3080?

jebidiah wrote: »
    But you're just ****ing yourself there as anyone who bought a 2080 now knows that a super will be coming out after launch for a slightly higher price. So why would anyone buy a 3080?

Eh?

Eh?

Like why would I but a 30xx now if I know a far superior card is coming in two months for about 50 quid more?

Not a chance AMD are releasing something that comes close to these cards this year. Maybe in one or two years as seems to have been the case with their last two releases.

Hopefully proven wrong on that though.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I think AMD have something close, otherwise NVIDIA would have not have been as aggressive on pricing.

I don't expect AMD to try to compete with the 3090 but I suspect their highest end card will fall somewhere in between the 3070 and 3080 in terms of performance and they will be competitive on price.

I suspect NVIDIA will then counter those card next year with a 3070/3080 Super or Ti variant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

This is a great time for 2nd hand GFX cards, I will finally be able to build a Fortnite PC for my son that will support ray tracing for a reasonable price in the next couple of weeks (sick of him hogging my PC)

I feel for the 2080 guys though

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Azza wrote: »
    I think AMD have something close, otherwise NVIDIA would have not have been as aggressive on pricing.

I don't expect AMD to try to compete with the 3090 but I suspect their highest end card will fall somewhere in between the 3070 and 3080 in terms of performance and they will be competitive on price.

I suspect NVIDIA will then counter those card next year with a 3070/3080 Super or Ti variant.

I think the clue to AMD's potential performance lies with the claims being made my Microsoft and Sony and their upcoming next-generation consoles. I know its hard to compare the two but it's interesting none the less.

The Xbox One X and PS4 Pro were "managing" 4k at 30fps. Albeit somewhat cheating. These new consoles are promoting 4k 60fps, which by any stretch is impressive. If you were to take them at their word then that would put them above the 3080s on raw performance.

Now I'm not saying they are equivalent to 2080s - especially as they are more APU/Mobile chips than anything but they do promise significant gains over the 5700XT.

Who knows what type of chip the RDNA2 will be with the correct die size, cooling and dedicated performance.

I would wager that AMD's GPU division has had a significant boost in innovation purely on the back of developing these chips for the console market. Specifically on the back of what can only be guarenteed sales/volumes. Guarenteed revenue that can be future spent on dedicated GPUs - that future is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

You may have mixed up your gens there,the sries x GPU is more akin to a 2080 not a 3080.

Video a few posts back shows a 3080 running doom eternal @4K 120ish fps

Hard to compare consoles to PC these days with dynamic resolution and all the other rendering tricks used on console to give an impression of higher resolutions thus making framerate comparisons not an apples to apples scenario.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Different 3000 makers boards

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7puH-8aCfBY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

"THANK YOU FOR PAYING US TO BETA TEST THE RTX TURING FOLKS, YOUR MONETARY SACRIFICE WILL ALWAYS BE REMEMBERED"

- JENSEN HUANG

Advertisement