Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

No, they're related.

https://babeltechreviews.com/nvidias-ceo-is-the-uncle-of-amds-ceo/

Eh, doesn't sound like they're close.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

BloodBath wrote: »
    Nvidia did kind of low ball the memory amounts on these cards considering next gen consoles have 16GB's of GDDR6 with around 12+ usable by games.....
    ....This will only get worse with next gen console games being designed to take advantage of 12+.

For console's that's shared memory, not dedicated to graphics. All other required assets and code (on top of the OS) will take up space also. I think they lowballed it aswell but I'm also thinking that the benefits they see from DirectStorage and loading to the GPU may offset some of the traditional need for larger space on it. Also game designers being the lazy bunch they are will engineer for the consoles for quite a while so ~10Gb will probably be a reasonable standard for a year or 2. Still a bit of a bump to 12-15 would have added some future proofing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Your screen isn't 4K Ultrawide, it's 1440p UW.

Never said it was in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The only time I've come close to using the full 8gb of memory on the 1080 was modded skyrim,200 mods and an ENB.

Hit 7.6GB peak usage @ 1440P. Granted I wasn't playing at 4K ultra settings but does anyone use ultra other than for screen shots?

One thing I do find strange though,how the hell they gonna give a 3070 Ti 16GB and the 3080 10GB.

They mention trying to hit a price point in the AMA but sure the 3070 Ti has to be cheaper than a 3080 and hit a price point too? Guess the €200 gap between the the 3070 and 3080 allows them more wiggle room but still doesn't sit quite right with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

EoinHef wrote: »
    The only time I've come close to using the full 8gb of memory on the 1080 was modded skyrim,200 mods and an ENB.

Hit 7.6GB peak usage @ 1440P. Granted I wasn't playing at 4K ultra settings but does anyone use ultra other than for screen shots?

One thing I do find strange though,how the hell they gonna give a 3070 Ti 16GB and the 3080 10GB.

They mention trying to hit a price point in the AMA but sure the 3070 Ti has to be cheaper than a 3080 and hit a price point too? Guess the €200 gap between the the 3070 and 3080 allows them more wiggle room but still doesn't sit quite right with me.

The 3070s use GDDR6, everything above uses the new GDDR6X.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I honestly can't get my head around those selling 2080ti's for low money, especially before anyone has seen an independent benchmark but I suppose people are trying to get as much coin as possible.

Its nowhere near a bad card right now that you'd need to be binning asap though. If bought at launch, yeah I get it, sell it for as much as you can get, its paid its dues, if bought this year, keep it. I mean even if the new cards are miles better, can or will anyone actually use that extra power? Where is the target at now, 4k 144hz?

I won't be selling mine for silly money it does me just fine for what I use it for, although the HP Reverb G2 I have on order may change that :D

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    The 3070s use GDDR6, everything above uses the new GDDR6X.

So the potential 3070 Ti would be GDDR6,that makes more sense then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Good watch

Review NDAs lift on 14. September for Founder's Edition, 17th. September for AIB models.

(via HardwareCanucks)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,033 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Review NDAs lift on 14. September for Founder's Edition, 17th. September for AIB models.

(via HardwareCanucks)

Launch date is 14th for Founder's isn't?

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Launch date is 14th for Founder's isn't?
    17th.
    So 3 days ahead.

(via HardwareCanucks)

FPS aside, I'm actually very curious to see how the FEs perform in terms of temps and acoustics.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

I wonder if you will be able to pre order the 3080 prior to reviews??? i wouldnt put it past them....

FPS aside, I'm actually very curious to see how the FEs perform in terms of temps and acoustics.

Same,its a totally new take that looks to be based off making the most of the majority of cooling setups.

One fan blower style and the other making use of where most people intake cold air into their cases.

On paper it makes a lot of sense to me

Stupid Question, But If I did want to purchase a FE RTX3080 would you have to buy it directly of nvidia website?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Stupid Question, But If I did want to purchase a FE RTX3080 would you have to buy it directly of nvidia website?

Yeah if you want the FE edition I think you have to go through there

Might be the only option, with everyone else hammering F5 on OCUK when released...lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Are the FE available from Nvidia on the 14th?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

wingnut32 wrote: »
    Are the FE available from Nvidia on the 14th?

No, the 17th. NDAs expire on the 14th.

I want the Founder Edition but the Zotac is the next best looking one for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,650 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/palit-geforce-rtx-3070-gamerock-8gb-gddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-05h-pl.html

That surely has to be the ugliest of the AIB cards yet. Absolutely woeful

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

Where can you even buy these cards in Ireland?Does the nvidia website even deliver to Ireland.First time I would be buying a card since my pc came with a 1070 pre installed.So am a bit confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,650 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Where can you even buy these cards in Ireland?Does the nvidia website even deliver to Ireland.First time I would be buying a card since my pc came with a 1070 pre installed.So am a bit confused.

Nvidia site will deliver to Ireland, and the likes of overclockers.co.uk will have stock too. Eventually they'll be available on the likes of Amazon too.

However nobody knows what the stock levels will be like yet so it could be a case that the first few batches sell out fairly fast everywhere and couple be a couple weeks/months after release before they're widely available.

Can confirm, bought my 2070 Super from Nvidia directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Looks like a really bad drawing with MS Paint.

I'm pretty sure Nvidia uses Digital River Ireland for selling cards/dealing with returns in Europe.

I'm pretty sure Nvidia uses Digital River Ireland for selling cards/dealing with returns in Europe.

They do. When I bought my 2060 it was three days late. Eventually the driver turned up and said he had called three times but I never answered. Never had a missed call.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

Delivery in Ireland is such a pain.So stressful

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I want the Founder Edition but the Zotac is the next best looking one for me.

Jaysus no....if you have heard of the brand "Colourful" they have some nice looking designs. But I really like the Inno3D cards and the EVGA as the red lip you wont see in the case.

• Advertisement

Good, so when all the others are sold out, there will be loads of these left as a last resort!

:D

Advertisement