Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

A 7700K isn't bottlenecking anything.

For reference how the 7700K stacks up against the 3300X

Kitguru

Now bear in mind the 3080 is c.30% higher performance than the 2080Ti tested and that was being bottle necked by the quadcore in more demanding titles albeit at 1080p.

Not trying to piss on the guys system, it's still a good PC I just wouldn't be getting a 3080 unless I was going to upgrade the platform or in fairness run at a high resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

For reference how the 7700K stacks up against the 3300X

Kitguru

Now bear in mind the 3080 is c.30% higher performance than the 2080Ti tested and that was being bottle necked by the quadcore in more demanding titles albeit at 1080p.

Not trying to piss on the guys system, it's still a good PC I just wouldn't be getting a 3080 unless I was going to upgrade the platform or in fairness run at a high resolution.

To be honest, it depends at what resolution he plays. I really doubt he is buying 3080 to play on 1080p. If he is 1440p+ or ultra wide, then bottleneck will be irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

To be honest, it depends at what resolution he plays. I really doubt he is buying 3080 to play on 1080p. If he is 1440p+ or ultra wide, then bottleneck will be irrelevant.

It may look that way but look at the 1% and 0.1% lows. They are terrible in some games with the quad cores even at 1440p.

They are the ones responsibility for terrible fps drops and jittery gameplay.

Using a quad core even at mid range these days is a bad idea. It's only going to get worse too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

If it's of any help , when I buy and play a game I want to see it all . I'm not a 'try hard' , those days are long behind me, turn up the details to 11 .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

BloodBath wrote: »
    It may look that way but look at the 1% and 0.1% lows. They are terrible in some games with the quad cores even at 1440p.

They are the ones responsibility for terrible fps drops and jittery gameplay.

Using a quad core even at mid range these days is a bad idea. It's only going to get worse too.

Its an i7 though,not sure I've seen many games struggle with 8 threads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

People said the same thing about normal quads not long ago.

There's already a few games where the quads even with HT do a fair bit worse than 6/12's and that's only get worse as well.

Next gen consoles have fast 8/16 cpu's. Expect a lot of games to need more than 4/8's very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yes it's not about struggling, but bottlenecking. Now, at 60hz, it's no issue at all. It's more when you're moving towards 144hz.

As said above, people to this day still make out that 4/4 7th gen i5's are still "fine" for GPU upgrades when it's not at all true.

With the new consoles being 8/16, and mainstream CPU's now being 6/12, the day of the 4/8 is long past us.

Will they bottleneck a new card right now? Not really, in most popular games, but the next year or two, they will increasingly start to show weakness.

It's not black/white, like a 7700K is still better now than say, a Ryzen 1600. But generally speaking, if you're considering dropping a bomb on a RTX3 card, it's about time to consider a 3600/3700X based build (or whatever the 4th gen equivalents are).

Its on average its about on par with a 2600 and is only a little bit behind a 3600 in benches,maybe it will start to show its age in the next few years but for now it fine imo.

No point in upgrading for games that may be years away from now so if it was me I certainly wouldn't be thinking of upgrading now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

You can mash F5 on the 17th on the Nvidia site but it seems like all reports are pointing towards low stock. So could be a while longer before they're more widely available.

No real suprise, this is just to get the cards out the door ASAP, realistically Im not expecting general availability this side of christmas, when I looked at upgrading to the 2080TI last time it was January by the time I got the new cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

So it's the 17th on Nvidias site for purchasing and a few days later on overclockers, scan etc? No gfx card at the moment and I'm missing my good ol Rainbow Six Siege :)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

x33mpyuq0bm51.jpg

Hooooly damn!
    Hope we get firesales like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,033 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Jesus it looks great. Not to impressed with that ****ty cable included though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,650 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    x33mpyuq0bm51.jpg

Hooooly damn!
    Hope we get firesales like this!

400 euro for a 2080 super, would absolutely destroy the second hand market!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Whats a PHP ? :D:D

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Whats a PHP ? :D:D

Philippines currency I'd guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

400 euro for a 2080 super, would absolutely destroy the second hand market!

... which needs destroying. Looking at stuff lately on Facebook marketplace, Adverts etc... fellas are trying to sell stuff for just under and in some cases over current retail prices.

I haven't seen a secondhand bargain in a long time. Let alone something fairly priced.

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    ... which needs destroying. Looking at stuff lately on Facebook marketplace, Adverts etc... fellas are trying to sell stuff for just under and in some cases over current retail prices.

I haven't seen a secondhand bargain in a long time. Let alone something fairly priced.

Oh big time. I managed to grab a 1080 off of eBay there the other day for 200 quid or so, most people on adverts were still listing them for 350+ which is mental.

I was originally gonna put up my 1080 for €300 and take €250 before the announcement,now id sell it for €200.

That seems fair enough to me

EoinHef wrote: »
    I was originally gonna put up my 1080 for €300 and take €250 before the announcement,now id sell it for €200.

Yeah I'd say that's more than fair to be honest unless newer cards took a big tumble, but I can't see the RTX 2070 dropping down to 200 quid, which the 1080 would be most comparable too without ray tracing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Not sure what to do with my 2080 right now, might switch to the new Zen chips (going from 8600k) and then look at 3080 Super if that becomes a thing in a few months!

Probably silly to sell the 2080 if stocks are gonna be low of the new stuff (and the fact that it's completely fine for 1440p...but there's always the itch for MORE!)

Shlippery wrote: »
    Not sure what to do with my 2080 right now, might switch to the new Zen chips (going from 8600k) and then look at 3080 Super if that becomes a thing in a few months!

Probably silly to sell the 2080 if stocks are gonna be low of the new stuff (and the fact that it's completely fine for 1440p...but there's always the itch for MORE!)

I'm on 1440p UW at 60Hz. My 5700XT is perfectly fine. I feel your pain/itch!

Shlippery wrote: »

I'd love to upgrade, 2070 Super isn't enough for 1440p 144fps in most of my games.

Is it 1080 or 1080ti?

1080 shadowhearth,Zotac Amp Edition

1080 shadowhearth,Zotac Amp Edition

Just checked some videos, it would really give some more umph to my oldy pc comapred to 1060 6gb in it hehe.

I'll give ye a heads up when I'm letting it go if you want bud,have to get a new GPU first though. Not sure how stock levels will pan out

Reckon I'm not gonna wait for AMD at this point. There taking too long,end of October announcement and then who knows when they will launch.

Price drops reported in Malaysia now, too.

6if056qsabm51.jpg
    ylbin8qsabm51.jpg
    a08cg6qsabm51.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

It seems Amazon Netherlands have mistakenly added a Gigabyte OC 3080 for preorder @ €785. I checked and you can add it to the basket

https://www.amazon.nl/Gigabyte-GeForce-GAMING-GDDR6X-grafische/dp/B08HLZXHZY/ref=sr_1_8?__mk_nl_NL=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=RTX+3080&qid=1599767980&sr=8-8

Screenshot-2.jpg

• Advertisement

slade_x wrote: »
    It seems Amazon Netherlands have mistakenly added a Gigabyte OC 3080 for preorder @ €785. I checked and you can add it to the basket

https://www.amazon.nl/Gigabyte-GeForce-GAMING-GDDR6X-grafische/dp/B08HLZXHZY/ref=sr_1_8?__mk_nl_NL=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=RTX+3080&qid=1599767980&sr=8-8

Screenshot-2.jpg

Looking on Reddit apparently there was a Gigabyte Eagle available on Amazon.it that let people order yesterday.

Advertisement