Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

so is it confirmed anywhere whether fe releases midnight on 17th or 2pm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Ah, something for a Peasant like me! On paper looks really good. Cant wait to see it in action and ofc price tag.

Presume price will be around 400 quid so. Its not out until around October too?

I wonder what Psu we can get away with for the 3060Ti? Atm I only got 500w [bronze 80+] which is fine for the 1660 I currently run - have a feeling I'd need more like a 650 for the 3060

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I wonder what Psu we can get away with for the 3060Ti? Atm I only got 500w [bronze 80+] which is fine for the 1660 I currently run - have a feeling I'd need more like a 650 for the 3060

1200W Platinum.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    1200W Platinum.

I don't want to run PCs for the whole street :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

500w is fine. The newer cards barely use much more power than the old cards. Don't know why everyone thinks they need new psu's all of a sudden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,650 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

BArra wrote: »
    so is it confirmed anywhere whether fe releases midnight on 17th or 2pm ?

Overclockers are saying 2pm of the 17th on their site for the AIBs, but no word from Nvidia.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/news/-pre-order-dates-announced-for-nvidia-3000-series-gpus-with-pricing-on-the-overclockers-website-550.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

BloodBath wrote: »
    It's closer to 100% than it is to 50%.

2 apples is 50% of 4 apples. 4 apples is 100% more than 2 apples.

what happens if mary hides one apple

BloodBath wrote: »
    500w is fine. The newer cards barely use much more power than the old cards. Don't know why everyone thinks they need new psu's all of a sudden.

It's not so much all of a sudden in my case. When I was ordering the parts for a custom build I didn't think I would get back into gaming so much. I use the PC more for image editing than gaming, or used to - but since I got a half decent gpu started playing again and found I'm enjoying it more than I did years back. The Gpu I have now is completely fine with the 500w, even if I have power hungry apps like Lightroom in the backdrop, but there are always limits. Nvidia recommend a 650 - 750 for anything above my card. I mean, if I thought I'd get away with it for an upgrade to something like a 3060Ti, all good ... but isn't it a bit of a risk?>

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

but isn't it a bit of a risk?>

Depends on the PSU tbh. A good PSU will be fine running nearer it's limits, a junk one not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I had my last PSU for 11yrs...It was a good make but not badged for efficiency etc....did not want to take a chance with it on a high end Ryzen 9 build and a 3080/3090 GPU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

It's not so much all of a sudden in my case. When I was ordering the parts for a custom build I didn't think I would get back into gaming so much. I use the PC more for image editing than gaming, or used to - but since I got a half decent gpu started playing again and found I'm enjoying it more than I did years back. The Gpu I have now is completely fine with the 500w, even if I have power hungry apps like Lightroom in the backdrop, but there are always limits. Nvidia recommend a 650 - 750 for anything above my card. I mean, if I thought I'd get away with it for an upgrade to something like a 3060Ti, all good ... but isn't it a bit of a risk?>

It all depends what power limits you have for your CPU, but if you don't overclock and have enormous cooling, you'll be fine.

The recommendation is based solely to put you in the PSU sweet spot of effectiveness, which typically is at 40-60% of maximum capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭Homelander

It's not about efficiency, it's about PSU quality. It's why you see cards like GTX1050's recommending a 500W supply despite the entire system using about 150W in a modern PC.

There are absolutely tons of junk PSU's out there that can deliver nowhere near their rated wattage. Some brands, "500W" models crash under 200W load. It's what you get when you get a 500W PSU for £15.

Then there are models that are better but still very low-end, but can still tend to be unstable/unreliable anywhere near to close to their rated wattage.

For example, Nvidia recommend a 650W PSU for the RTX2070 Super. You don't need a 650W PSU or anything close, but it covers Nvidia as even the very low-end PSU's that are 650W/700W should be OK. (putting aside the absolute trash like "Ace 700W for £20").

For some reason people are taking Nvidia's PSU recommendations for this generation as gospel, when they have always been like this. The recommendation for the RTX3070 is the exact same as the RTX2070 for example.

Unless you have a little SFX 300W PSU or something, you're not going to need an upgrade for these cards.

Homelander wrote: »
    It's not about efficiency, it's about PSU quality. It's why you see cards like GTX1050's recommending a 500W supply despite the entire system using about 150W in a modern PC.

There are absolutely tons of junk PSU's out there that can deliver nowhere near their rated wattage. Some brands, "500W" models crash under 200W load. It's what you get when you get a 500W PSU for £15.

Then there are models that are better but still very low-end, but can still tend to be unstable/unreliable anywhere near to close to their rated wattage.

For example, Nvidia recommend a 650W PSU for the RTX2070 Super. You don't need a 650W PSU or anything close, but it covers Nvidia as even the very low-end PSU's that are 650W/700W should be OK. (putting aside the absolute trash like "Ace 700W for £20").

For some reason people are taking Nvidia's PSU recommendations for this generation as gospel, when they have always been like this. The recommendation for the RTX3070 is the exact same as the RTX2070 for example.

Unless you have a little SFX 300W PSU or something, you're not going to need an upgrade for these cards.

It's definitely cheaper end the one I got, a Kolink 500w 80+, think it was £35 from the UK. Looking about at reviews/views on this psu seems it's 'ok' for the money, haven't seen anyone thrash talk it at least. I won't rush on it anytime soon either way, it's doing the job for me atm but that's with a lower end gpu.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

dont panic Jay says

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuiBeaY8Du8&ab_channel=JayzTwoCents

i panicked already and sold a mint 1080ti on adverts for 350E :rolleyes:

dont panic Jay says

That was a decent price for it in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,650 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

dont panic Jay says

Ah I think that's more aimed towards the 2080ti owners who are selling their cards that they bought new less than a year ago for $500. 350 isn't a bad price to get for the 1080ti to be honest, especially if you were thinking of upgrading anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Yeah, you'll have a very nice increase in performance going from a 1080 Ti to Ampere. I wouldn't sweat it.

dont panic Jay says

You sold it without too much hassle though I'd say? whereas there's a bunch of them on adverts atm ranging from 450 to over 500 [still the odd one 350-400], and they aren't going to shift so easily without some major haggling and a bunch of low ball offers for weeks - and they will eventually cave and sell for 350

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

More like 200 when the 2080ti is going for 400.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I didn't read through thread so sorry if it is posted already but AdoredTv from YouTube posted a new video slamming Samsung 8nm and Nvidia deing too cheap to pay up for the expensive TSMC 7nm.

• Advertisement

I haven't seen his video - kinda gone off him tbh, but I doubt TSMC would have had the capacity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

you would be crazy to sell cards now the new ones will be in short supply and Ireland will be last place to get deliverys

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I haven't seen his video - kinda gone off him tbh, but I doubt TSMC would have had the capacity.

I stopped watching him also once he started posting podcast videos but I still watch when he posts normal YouTube videos which he has done two so far on Nvidia since the new cards were released.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I stopped watching him also once he started posting podcast videos but I still watch when he posts normal YouTube videos which he has done two so far on Nvidia since the new cards were released.

The dude has a extreme bias for AMD. He will criticise them but he will also go out of his way to find something bad to say about the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

The dude has a extreme bias for AMD. He will criticise them but he will also go out of his way to find something bad to say about the others.

Lot of that in the GPU space, adored tv is also so verbose and dense with info that there is zero entertainment value to the vids,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    you would be crazy to sell cards now the new ones will be in short supply and Ireland will be last place to get deliverys

People are panicking, The 3070 seems like it won't touch the 2080TI really, especially at 4k. You might get some similar benchmarks, but as you push up to Ultra, gaps will appear. The different in Memory Amount / Bandwidth is too much to ignore. Especially for a 300W card. I wonder how hot it runs for AIB cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Giblet wrote: »
    People are panicking, The 3070 seems like it won't touch the 2080TI really, especially at 4k. You might get some similar benchmarks, but as you push up to Ultra, gaps will appear. The different in Memory Amount / Bandwidth is too much to ignore. Especially for a 300W card. I wonder how hot it runs for AIB cards.

Hot or not. What difference does it make once it is quiet enough?

I don't check how got my car engine runs, I don't check how hot my TV runs etc. Why should it suddenly matter for a GPU? Are you touching it or something?

grogi wrote: »
    Hot or not. What difference does it make once it is quiet enough?

I don't check how got my car engine runs, I don't check how hot my TV runs etc. Why should it suddenly matter for a GPU? Are you touching it or something?

300w of cooling will be loud, is my point.

Giblet wrote: »
    300w of cooling will be loud, is my point.

And the cooler could use magic and unicorns to be silent but that heat still has to be dissipated somewhere, and that somewhere is the room you're sitting in.

• Advertisement

And the cooler could use magic and unicorns to be silent but that heat still has to be dissipated somewhere, and that somewhere is the room you're sitting in.

Winter is Coming, as someone once said.

Advertisement