Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Review Embargo lift is still set for 2pm today isn't it?

While we wait, Gamers Nexus has a pretty nice walkthrough of some of the architecture and process changes for Ampere here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

grogi wrote: »
    Hot or not. What difference does it make once it is quiet enough?

I don't check how got my car engine runs, I don't check how hot my TV runs etc. Why should it suddenly matter for a GPU? Are you touching it or something?

If it doesn't dissipate the heat properly you'll have thermal throttling and performance issues. If it is dissipating the heat properly then there is going to be some level of noise. I find it hard to believe these cards will be whisper quiet under load, I also have reservations about the airflow design especially since I have an incredibly small form factor rig. Looking forward to seeing the reviews and how it all turns out but I do have some concerns about these designs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

L wrote: »

While we wait, Gamers Nexus has a pretty nice walkthrough of some of the architecture and process changes for Ampere here.

Just for the 3080, and just for the FE cards. Smart guys these NVIDIA dudes. Get people to salivate over the FE 3080, need to sell their current cards to people who believe the 3070 will beat it. AIB cards will need expensive coolers to reduce noise / heat, but not reviewed until the 17th (and people ignore anything but the FE Benchmarks). Then the 3070 review comes out in October (and may disappoint), showing the 2080TI still matters.

Giblet wrote: »
    Just for the 3080, and just for the FE cards. Smart guys these NVIDIA dudes. Get people to salivate over the FE 3080, need to sell their current cards to people who believe the 3070 will beat it. AIB cards will need expensive coolers to reduce noise / heat, but not reviewed until the 17th (and people ignore anything but the FE Benchmarks). Then the 3070 review comes out in October (and may disappoint), showing the 2080TI still matters.

That's always the way these days. It's been their model for a long long time. Bleeding edge upgrade fever drives their profitability but the older cards now remain viable for a surprising length of time.

We're at a stage where cards from 5 or 6 years ago are still quite appealing and relevant value propositions at second hand prices (980 Ti is still 40% of the power of a 2080 Ti these days - still beats most of the modern midrange).

That said, looking at the transistor density/die size, I'm cautiously optimistic that the 30 series is actually going to deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

We will find out soon enough I guess. Embargo lifts at 2pm today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

BloodBath wrote: »
    We will find out soon enough I guess. Embargo lifts at 2pm today?

Yep

Bets on who'll be first out of the gate with a review?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I would say they are all queued to go live at the same time. Gamers Nexus is the one with the most info usually, but buy god are they hard to concentrate on for 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Oh you're back Fitz? Are you getting a 3090?

Steve is not the most entertaining but he knows his stuff and usually keeps it clear and concise. I don't mind him. I'd take him over Linus anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,033 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I find Hardware Unboxed very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

9iHgKJj.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

BloodBath wrote: »
    Oh you're back Fitz? Are you getting a 3090?

Steve is not the most entertaining but he knows his stuff and usually keeps it clear and concise. I don't mind him. I'd take him over Linus anyday.

Linus's reviews on GPU are rubbish agreed, GN is defo the best. Jayz2cents is a middle ground I suppose.

Yeah back in action, going for a 3090 FE if I can get one will try order on launch day, lovin the cooler design, and seems it will be a beast. Waiting on a Samsung G9 monitor to stress it a bit. Selling the 2080ti on to my little cousin for cents on the euro...but I got good time out of it so not feeling hard done by.

Mostly oddly looking forward to Crysis remastered on the 18h at the moment

Despite their AMD bias I think Hardware Unboxed gets the right balance on info and 'entertainment'. I will always, eventually, watch the Games Nexus review though, albeit in bite sized chunks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,650 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I'd love a summary version of the GamersNexus breakdowns. Don't get me wrong they go into great detail and cover all of the bases, it's just hard to listen to Steve for longer than 5 minutes.

Jesus that was pretty intense.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'd love a summary version of the GamersNexus breakdowns. Don't get me wrong they go into great detail and cover all of the bases, it's just hard to listen to Steve for longer than 5 minutes.

They publish most of their reviews in written form 1-2 days after the video.
    Due to the way monetization works, they rely on youtube views for revenue. Steve has publicly stated, many times, that the site loses money.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Where's Hardware Unboxed's review :(

So, they look very good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I can literally hear the bottom fall out of the 2nd hand GPU market

Hyzepher wrote: »

My 1070 is now worth about €4.37.

Still concerned for the 3070 performance - I can't see it beating the 2080ti.

Also reckon the VRAM is a bit low on both cards.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Also reckon the VRAM is a bit low on both cards.

Why?

Why?

8gb on the 3070 is grand for now but some games are already at or very close to saturation for that mich vRAM, which won't get any less true in the next few years.

Why?

The Hardware Unboxed review explains it pretty well. Basically the 3080 card comes into it's own at 4K. Doom Eternal already has an issue with 8GB, although 10GB is fine now, I don't think it's enough for next gen gaming.

The 3070 is going to be the 1440P card and I just have the same concern over 8GB and next gen games.

Maybe nVidia have it just so, and it'll be grand but I reckon we're going to see 12 and 16GB cards from AMD closely followed by 16GB Ti versions of the 3070 and 3080 at quite high prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

The Hardware Unboxed review explains it pretty well. Basically the 3080 card comes into it's own at 4K. Doom Eternal already has an issue with 8GB, although 10GB is fine now, I don't think it's enough for next gen gaming.

The 3070 is going to be the 1440P card and I just have the same concern over 8GB and next gen games.

Maybe nVidia have it just so, and it'll be grand but I reckon we're going to see 12 and 16GB cards from AMD closely followed by 16GB Ti versions of the 3070 and 3080 at quite high prices.

I'd agree with this. The fact that I bought a Radeon Vii over a year ago with the 16GB vram being a big part of that decision I think given the 4k performance jump on the 3080 the vram seems a little short and would suggest a more expensive ti/super relaunch later on.

The 1440p results are surprising and it seems that the architecture may not be so great at resolutions lower than 4k.

Also the more I watched that the more I kept looking at the 5700XT results over 60FPS which is as fast as my current monitor goes anway :pac:

Although that said I just fired it up on Adverts looking to do an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

8gb on the 3070 is grand for now but some games are already at or very close to saturation for that mich vRAM, which won't get any less true in the next few years.

GN contradicts both your views.

"When a card is showing as 10Gb VRAM use, it's not actually using 10Gb - it is asking the OS to allocate it that many resources." (paraphrasing)
    Anyone want to take a modded 2070 Super?
    I will accept 2 boxes of Tayto :pac:

/s

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    GN contradicts both your views.

"When a card is showing as 10Gb VRAM use, it's not actually using 10Gb - it is asking the OS to allocate it that many resources." (paraphrasing)

I am aware of the allocation v actual use situation but Hardware Unboxed showed the performance hit the 8GB cards were taking in it's benchmarks.

Advertisement