Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

AMD have said they'll be releasing a 7nm GPU before the end of the year.

Oh god damn it, I missed their press release (link for it here ). Last I'd heard they'd halted 7nm until Navi in 2019. I feel a bit like I've jumped the gun and backed the wrong horse now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Has something changed? Vega 20(7nm chip) was due for this year but was going to be commerical only, pro and instinct line up. Which lines up with the understanding that its the market best suited for the Vega and HBM chips, profitable and more likely to take advantage of the huge compute power.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Thats for the data centre. There's nothing coming for the consumer space yet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

My bad, just seen they announced 7nm Vega and assumed it was for GPUs.

My bad, just seen they announced 7nm Vega and assumed it was for GPUs.

You're bad for my blood pressure man. ;)

(Doesn't help that their press release and the recent coverage was all ambiguous either)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

L wrote: »
    You're bad for my blood pressure man. ;)

(Doesn't help that their press release and the recent coverage was all ambiguous either)

Navi is meant to be early 2019, isn't it? If so that means we should only have about 6 months. Hopefully, Navi is the Zen of the GPU world and is really competitive with nVidia at a great price point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

The latest and greatest in GPU's only every lasts 6-12 months. My faith in AMD is shot on the GPU side after the vega thing, 7nm is a difficult process to get volume yield on so I am not holding my breath. Nvidia always have cards in the professional space with more power than the top end gamer card.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The latest and greatest in GPU's only every lasts 6-12 months. My faith in AMD is shot on the GPU side after the vega thing, 7nm is a difficult process to get volume yield on so I am not holding my breath. Nvidia always have cards in the professional space with more power than the top end gamer card.

IDK I've a 980 Ti (3+ yrs old now) and it's still holding up fine.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    IDK I've a 980 Ti (3+ yrs old now) and it's still holding up fine.

Its not the latest and greatest though. I buy any bargain machine I see on adverts and try flip them for a bit of fun and to scratch my pc building itch, and recently got a 2600k machine and put a 980 in it. Crysis 3 at 1080p ultra settings 60+ FPS, 11,500 3d mark, 5k timespy, doom at 100+ fps. total cost to me 500 euro. So the bargains are out there, and if your not at high res newer cards are a total waste of time.

I think when my RTX arrives I will put together a review against the 1080ti and the 980 to see how performance stack up with regard to the budget machine, the last gen high end and the current high end.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Navi is meant to be early 2019, isn't it? If so that means we should only have about 6 months. Hopefully, Navi is the Zen of the GPU world and is really competitive with nVidia at a great price point.

I really doubt AMD will compete in the high end for a long time. They need to focus on a amazing mid range card, at high efficiency with at a low price point. Like the 480/580 but really knock it out of the park.

• Advertisement

Its not the latest and greatest though.

It's beaten by 2-3 GPUs sooo... :pac:

It's beaten by 2-3 GPUs sooo... :pac:

.1070ti, 1080, 1080ti, Tian X, Titan Xp. 2070, 2080, 2080ti....so ninth best card you can buy :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What amazes me is peoples willingness to spend crazy money on parts just for the sake of it. People buying 1080ti's for 1080p60hz screens, people insisting on €300 motherboards just because they've a 2k budget even thought they've no intention of overclocking, or using 99% of the features of the expensive chipset/board, etc.

I only play Overwatch and have done for months, so at the moment I'm using a W3530 (2010) + 8GB 1066mhz DDR3....still gets me 120fps at 1440p! And cost about €90 on Ebay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Nvidia just dumped a ton of 10 series stock on their board partners, so expect 1070 and 1080 prices to tumble in a few weeks after the 20series cards hit the market. They ramped up production to try meet demand for the Crypto rush and then got caught them that bottomed out, now they're forcing their partners to take the excess stock. They partners will sell the old stock at well below MSRP to clear them after the initial Rush to buy RX cards dies down.

I won't be buying a 20 series any time soon, Ray Tracing is essentially pointless right now. There aren't many games designed for it and it won't benefit older games and all. I reckon if you have a 1070ti or up you're probably fine for another 18-24 months before the game engines catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Just for the craic I'm gonna say nope. We won't see a Titan card as nVidia seeks to segment the professional and consumer markets, I also don't see them getting the yields of such a large chip to put something between the professional and consumer space.

No refresh of the 2080ti either for similar reasons.

However what we will see is a new generation of cards (30XX) family faster than any previous generation IMHO as they move to 7nm before intel and AMD hit the consumer space.

Nvidia already has their $7k+ professional cards segmented from the consumer line. The Titan series has always really been just a halo level consumer product with a few of the professional level bells and whistles bolted on. The Titan even lights up with GTX branding on the side and the latest version even came in Sith and Rebel Star Wars branding which is pretty damn odd for a professional product.

Nvidia has known for years they can get the whales and benchmark chasers to fork out crazy money for Titans and you think they will just kill off the product line just because they suddenly hate money? If you believe that I've a bridge you can buy tongue.png

1070ti*, 1080, 1080ti, Titan X, Titan Xp. 2070, 2080, 2080ti....so ninth best card you can buy :pac:

980 Ti overclocked = 98% 1070 Ti overclocked (within margin of error).
    1080 & 1080 Ti, no debate.
    Titan cards are technically not consumer (and are 2-3x the price)
    2000-series not yet released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The gap between 980ti and 1070ti reference is about 20% isn't it? How do are get them being on par, both being overclocked? Is the headroom on the 980ti that much more reliably significant?

How are titan cards not consumer? There are star wars versions? There is one for sale on adverts? Quadro is the professional cards of which there are many many more above a 980ti level. The 20 series cards are what you were directly referring to in your post about how the 980ti is still awesome so I think it valid to include them. 1070ti is faster than a 980ti apples to apples comparison.... high price does not negate performance....

If your happy with your card thats great dont get me wrong.....

The gap between 980ti and 1070ti reference is about 20% isn't it? How do are get them being on par, both being overclocked? Is the headroom on the 980ti that much more reliably significant?

Not a single win for the 980ti, its close enough but faster is faster.

• Advertisement

Not a single win for the 980ti, its close enough but faster is faster.

I suspect that 980 Ti wasn't overclocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

heres hoping the 2070 is close to the 1080ti in non ray tracing, i doubt it will be though

heres hoping the 2070 is close to the 1080ti in non ray tracing, i doubt it will be though

Not a snowball's chance in hell, even with GDDR6 it doesn't beat the 1080 Ti in theoretical memory bandwidth.

http://www.hwcompare.com/36329/geforce-rtx-2070-vs-geforce-gtx-1080-ti/

I'd be surprised if the 2080 comes close, even.

I suspect that 980 Ti wasn't overclocked.

I suspect the 1070ti was not overclocked either.

The 20 series cards are supposed to be built for overclocking (according to nvidia marketing), with higher quality components and cooling overhead, there is a chance that the 2070 oc may be within touching distance of the 1080ti....in as much as the 980ti is to the 1070ti.

I doubt they'll clock much higher than Pascal until 7nm is used tbh

I suspect the 1070ti was not overclocked either.

The 20 series cards are supposed to be built for overclocking (according to nvidia marketing), with higher quality components and cooling overhead, there is a chance that the 2070 oc may be within touching distance of the 1080ti....in as much as the 980ti is to the 1070ti.

2070 has a 36% reduction in CUDA cores compared to 1080 Ti, no amount of overclocking will make that up.

2070 has a 36% reduction in CUDA cores compared to 1080 Ti, no amount of overclocking will make that up.

what price are the 2070's starting at, €600? if so you'd be a nutter to buy one while 1080ti stocks are around

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I wonder if the insane 20XX series pricing has something to do with the crazy amounts of 10XX series chips that are in abundance, due to the crypto mining market drying up!

That's my bet as well. The 2080 is coming in a couple of hundred more expensive than the 1080ti and has less cuda cores. I'd be impressed if it has better performance tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I've heard that only vendors that buy up large quantities of 10xx chips will be able to get reasonable size orders of 20xx chips.
    I guess Nvidia had to price things so it would be possible for them to shift all the chips they didn't really want to order.

Advertisement