Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,653 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

errlloyd wrote: »
    Yeah. I am pretty brand oblivious at this stage, is there anything I should be looking out for?

Nah don't think there's any real standout issues with any of the cards at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

heffo9 wrote: »
    The best advice on this thread so far :)

I am taking that advise against my will and stock, its mostly stock tho :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Yeah. I am pretty brand oblivious at this stage, is there anything I should be looking out for?

Asus TUF is the best - but everyone knows this, so good luck getting one ever :pac:

The Zotac models aren't supposed to be great, but that's due to lower power draw mostly - perfectly fine if you can't be bothered undervolting yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

JoyPad wrote: »
    As many influencers keep saying, buying at launch is a gamble. Paying more for something that will be exceeded soon after, just for the bragging rights.

That's the core of it really. Exciting as new tech can be, it's not usually a necessary purchase. You buy it for bragging rights or to push the edge of performance well into diminishing returns.

We still haven't hit the tipping point where you'd *have to* upgrade from a 900 series card, and those came out 5 or 6 years ago now.

We might start hitting it soon now that there's a new generation of consoles, but up until now, most games at core had to be able to run on a 2013 era console.

In other words, 80 to 90% of the value of a modern GPU could still have been gotten with the GTX 970 you bought for €300 back in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

What you have to do depends on what you want to do. If you want to enjoy PC games as the PC games are meant to be enjoyed, a 900 series card is completely outdated. If you're willing to compromise and dial back the resolution and options, then I suppose you don't have to upgrade for at least another 6 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Cordell wrote: »
    What you have to do depends on what you want to do. If you want to enjoy PC games as the PC games are meant to be enjoyed, a 900 series card is completely outdated. If you're willing to compromise and dial back the resolution and options, then I suppose you don't have to upgrade for at least another 6 years.

Absolutely! I have a 3 years old 1080Ti and I want to try Ray Tracing!

Amazon UK seem to be putting up stock today, just narrowly missed out on a Palit OC there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Amazon UK seem to be putting up stock today, just narrowly missed out on a Palit OC there

Just had a gigabyte one up there too.

Just had a gigabyte one up there too.

Stupidly stopped to check the length of the palit when there was 7 left in stock and by the time I realised it was short enough for my case they were gone.

Should've just bought it and cancelled if it was too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

3080's or 3090's?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Stupidly stopped to check the length of the palit when there was 7 left in stock and by the time I realised it was short enough for my case they were gone.

Should've just bought it and cancelled if it was too long.

If that happens again, I will donate 50e to the charity of your choice if you go ahead with the order and sell it to me at cost price!

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Nvidia had restocks around this time last week and the week before (wednesday/thursday) so maybe we'll see some FEs today as well

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Cordell wrote: »

I'm not so sure "as PC games are meant to be enjoyed" is meaningful here. By design PC games have graphics settings because they're intended to be playable on a range of hardware.

Very very few games are primarily designed to be played on bleeding edge hardware because the market for that is absolutely tiny.

It's worth being clear eyed on this - steam hardware surveys repeatedly show most gamers are using the equivalent of a 970 or worse. We're very much the outliers.

Nvidia had restocks around this time last week and the week before (wednesday/thursday) so maybe we'll see some FEs today as well

Was 7pm last Wednesday the last drop. Their API is still down, but hopefully something drops soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

what are the odds of them dropping some cards at exactly 5pm when the amd cpu announcement start???

tazzzZ wrote: »
    what are the odds of them dropping some cards at exactly 5pm when the amd cpu announcement start???

Zero; they don't need the mindshare.
    More likely to do it near AMD's Navi event in 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Zero; they don't need the mindshare.
    More likely to do it near AMD's Navi event in 2 weeks.

i dont mean announce new cards i just mean release 3080/3090 stock to the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Anyopne else see the article on videocardz that the 3080s are dropping in December with 20GB Vram...?

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-20gb-to-launch-in-december

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Anyopne else see the article on videocardz that the 3080s are dropping in December with 20GB Vram...?

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-20gb-to-launch-in-december

No 6144 CUDA cores makes Sam sad :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

L wrote: »
    I'm not so sure "as PC games are meant to be enjoyed" is meaningful here. By design PC games have graphics settings because they're intended to be playable on a range of hardware.

Very very few games are primarily designed to be played on bleeding edge hardware because the market for that is absolutely tiny.

It's worth being clear eyed on this - steam hardware surveys repeatedly show most gamers are using the equivalent of a 970 or worse. We're very much the outliers.

I'd say it's 1060 or better, but that's not really relevant, some of the steam gamers are kids that will enjoy whatever their parents get them :)
    I'll make the PCMR argument, although I don't really like it, but still: you're supposed to play the games on PC with better quality and framerate than on consoles. But I agree that a lot of people will not really care as long as it runs, so let's leave it at this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Well looks like Big Navi is a load of crap from the Zen 3 launch figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Fitz II wrote: »
    Well looks like Big Navi is a load of crap from the Zen 3 launch figures.

Is it somehow referred to in the benchmarks? Don't have time to watch or investigate this evening - would love a TLDR

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Maybe for you Fitz that want's the best.

If it's priced good it will still be a compelling card for high end 1440p/144hz or 4k/60-75hz gamers.
    Is it somehow referred to in the benchmarks? Don't have time to watch or investigate this evening - would love a TLDR

They showed some benchmarks for an un-named rdna2 card that puts it a fair bit faster than a 2080ti, should be faster than the 3070, but slower than the 3080 by around 10%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I am going to get a 3080. I've a 1440p 144Hz G-Sync monitor so it makes sense.

But I'm stretching what I deem to be my acceptable budget for it - so I was delighted to see the price point - particularly for the FE. My concern is that if Big Navi is a bust the prices of the 3080 cards will mushroom!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

the benchmarks are a way behind 3080. 4k CODMW - 83 FPS while the 3080 is 121, shows a tie in boarderlands 3 if that means anything. No way a big complex card will be cheap, maybe it will fit into some budget/performance category well, but it certainly does not seem to be the great white hope that everyone was holding out for, which is disappointing. It unlikely from the figures to compete with the 3080 so its the same old story where its trying to get share in the 3060 maybe 3070 space. I was hoping for some competition in the enthusiast space this cycle. On a plus note the Zen 3 processors look good, although price hikes on the lower bins. Not the result this much hyped launch was supposed to deliver, good...but not great.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There's a German seller on Amazon claiming to have 5 Zotac 3090's in stock, so I've ordered one, and I'll soon see if it's legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

We'll have to wait for real benchmarks but it looks to be a lot faster than the 2080ti which put's it at the very least in the 3070 space.

Probably between the 3070 and 3080 at around €600.

The other benchmarks are a lot closer.

Radeon-RX-6000-Performance.png

COD is the outlier but no mention of what mode it was. If it's warzone they made a big mistake by not saying that as the 3080 only gets around 90fps in that. It's far more demanding than the normal small maps.

Fitz II wrote: »
    the benchmarks are a way behind 3080. 4k CODMW - 83 FPS while the 3080 is 121, shows a tie in boarderlands 3 if that means anything. No way a big complex card will be cheap, maybe it will fit into some budget/performance category well, but it certainly does not seem to be the great white hope that everyone was holding out for, which is disappointing. It unlikely from the figures to compete with the 3080 so its the same old story where its trying to get share in the 3060 maybe 3070 space. I was hoping for some competition in the enthusiast space this cycle. On a plus note the Zen 3 processors look good, although price hikes on the lower bins. Not the result this much hyped launch was supposed to deliver, good...but not great.

All CODMW benchmarks I've seen in DX12 put it a lot lower than 121fps @ 4k Highest settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

BloodBath wrote: »
    We'll have to wait for real benchmarks but it looks to be a lot faster than the 2080ti which put's it at the very least in the 3070 space.

Probably between the 3070 and 3080 at around €600.

I really don't see the 3070 being faster than the 2080ti bar a few select titles and in ray tracing so if it's a lot faster than the 2080ti it's closer to the 3080 than it is the 3070, I don't trust nvidia saying the 3070 is faster than the 2080ti.

Advertisement