Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,411 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Another batch of FEs gone up for sale in the US, still nothing for Europe. Disaster of a launch, what a joke.

I'd drive to Best Buy and try and buy one but they're probably only getting 0-2 in stock for the store Im guessing. Still interested to see what Big Navi puts forth too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,654 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Overheal wrote: »
    I'd drive to Best Buy and try and buy one but they're probably only getting 0-2 in stock for the store Im guessing. Still interested to see what Big Navi puts forth too though.

They're online only I think. Nvidia have stopped selling on their site and are using best buy as a partner instead

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Just looking at scan.co.uk there, and the stock inventory was updated today at 2:30pm. They have 3,681 RTX 3080 pre orders across all brands, with EVGA and Asus the most sought after with 1,963 between them.

I am after the Gigabyte Vision 3080 (White) and they have 528 orders currently for gigabyte cards, cant see too many being for the white one tbh. Might pull the trigger and hope that with 500 orders I might see a card in the next month???

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Just looking at scan.co.uk there, and the stock inventory was updated today at 2:30pm. They have 3,681 RTX 3080 pre orders across all brands, with EVGA and Asus the most sought after with 1,963 between them.

I am after the Gigabyte Vision 3080 (White) and they have 528 orders currently for gigabyte cards, cant see too many being for the white one tbh. Might pull the trigger and hope that with 500 orders I might see a card in the next month???

Worth a shot if they're taking preorders on it and you're happy to wait (or try cancel in case something comes up in the mean time). They've cleared down the Palit backorder completely, but aren't taking more preorders on them. Lead times all depend on what shipments they get in really tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

If I knew for sure that a 20GB was launching in December (more rumblings online rtoday) I would wait....have no real interest in the AMD offering tbh dont know why but I hope its competitive to relieve at least some of the pressure on stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

This should tide me over.....My strix went from 365 on the list in overclockers to 345....so at this rate should have one next christmas, got impatient and got this on adverts from a very nice seller.

Whats-App-Image-2020-10-18-at-12-40-41.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

Ah jesus man, don't tell me that was the lad who wanted €2,500 for it.

Homelander wrote: »
    Ah jesus man, don't tell me that was the lad who wanted €2,500 for it.

Yep....but that was asking price, very reasonable guy wanted to do a deal and a deal was done. Paid less for it than the card I am waiting for from overclockers. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭heffo9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Having a bit of trouble with the new 3090.

My games keep crashing to desktop. I've tried F1, FIFA, and Wildlands, and each one has crashed, some multiple times.
    Sometimes quickly, sometimes after a while.

The driver was already up-to-date, but I also re-installed it, and it's not better.

Sometimes, I get a popup, with a lot of gibberish about DirectX (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG). Other times, the game gets stuck for a few seconds, and then disappears, returning me to Windows.

This is a Zotac 3090 Trinity, with an i7-7700K, 32GB RAM 3000MHz.

Few more notes:
    - with the default fan curve, temps were going all the way up to 80C.
    - after setting a more aggressive fan curve (noise be damned!), temps were kept under 70C. My best Timespy had an average of 67C.
    - I didn't see any crashes while playing ETS2 (DirectX 11) or during 3DMark tests.

Not sure what to do next? Re-install Windows from scratch would be a lot of trouble, but would it help?

P.S. My son says he hasn't seen any crashes with his MSI card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Have you DDU'd the old drivers?

JoyPad wrote: »
    Having a bit of trouble with the new 3090.

My games keep crashing to desktop. I've tried F1, FIFA, and Wildlands, and each one has crashed, some multiple times.
    Sometimes quickly, sometimes after a while.

The driver was already up-to-date, but I also re-installed it, and it's not better.

Sometimes, I get a popup, with a lot of gibberish about DirectX (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG). Other times, the game gets stuck for a few seconds, and then disappears, returning me to Windows.

This is a Zotac 3090 Trinity, with an i7-7700K, 32GB RAM 3000MHz.

Few more notes:
    - with the default fan curve, temps were going all the way up to 80C.
    - after setting a more aggressive fan curve (noise be damned!), temps were kept under 70C. My best Timespy had an average of 67C.
    - I didn't see any crashes while playing ETS2 (DirectX 11) or during 3DMark tests.

Not sure what to do next? Re-install Windows from scratch would be a lot of trouble, but would it help?

P.S. My son says he hasn't seen any crashes with his MSI card.

I suspect the Power Supply.

Happened to Linus & Co while they were demonstrating 3090 SLI, demonstrates an issue where power spikes can crash the PSU to put it crudely.

https://youtu.be/i1dGQiNfCAc?t=444

What is your PSU rated for? Nvidia has stressed that the 3090 requires a 750W Power Supply, presumably at a minimum.

Serephucus wrote: »

I use GeForce Experience for the drivers, and I always perform a Custom Installation, with the "clean installation" option checked. Is that no enough?

Nvidia has stressed that the 3090 requires a 750W Power Supply, presumably at a minimum.

I just replaced the PSU: brand new Corsair RM850x (850W, 80 Plus Gold).
    Also, my PC does not shutdown/restart. It's just the game that dies, and I am returned to Windows.

If you have the software installed from Zotac, try drop the power target 5% and see what happens? I am running the same power supply without issue on a 3950x. Also is your Mobo up to date, a 7700k is an old girl now.

Mobo shouldn't be impacting the problem..

Mobo shouldn't be impacting the problem..

Still easy way to rule it out. More than likely its a power supply issue, or the card is overdrawing across the PCIe bus, or it could be a thermal issue with the mobo, my 3090 is putting a contestant 360 - 390 watts into the case, good bit of heat, but a 2080ti put in a good 300w anyway.

Fitz II wrote: »
    Still easy way to rule it out. More than likely its a power supply issue, or the card is overdrawing across the PCIe bus, or it could be a thermal issue with the mobo, my 3090 is putting a contestant 360 - 390 watts into the case, good bit of heat, but a 2080ti put in a good 300w anyway.

But if the problem would be motherboard or PSU, wouldn't this cause a reboot, or a system crash? Why would I only experience D12 crashes, but not D11?

Serephucus wrote: »

I think this might have done the job.
    After a safe mode cleaning, I was able to play 2 complete games, plus training session between them, without a crash. Too tired to try more games, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The amount of people who post about this and don't use DDU,it should be your FIRST port of call after installing a new gpu.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

EoinHef wrote: »
    The amount of people who post about this and don't use DDU,it should be your FIRST port of call after installing a new gpu.

I wipe for GPU installs, its takes about 25 minutes and Steam Games etc are easily reinstalled to exiting game folders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Maybe a sticky thread or something with basic trouble shooting tips would be helpful for people.

Got gpu problems:
    1. Make sure all power cables are fully connected and seated properly
    2. Make sure gpu is fully inserted into PCI slot
    3. Do a clean driver install using DDU in safe mode
    Etc etc

EoinHef wrote: »

It's actually the first time I replace the GPU.
    I haven't had a gaming PC before this one. I was playing on PC prior to 2004, but wouldn't call those "gaming PCs".

Anyway, the error is back. Took a bit longer to appear, but it did.
    Any other things I can try?

Scan support guy said it's a known issue, and to wait for a newer Nvidia driver to address the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

New GPU's, new architecture, some issues are par for the course.

Shows it's not only AMD that have these teething problems. Nvidia just tends to be a bit quicker fixing them.

So looks like Scan are selling the FE now

https://www.scan.co.uk/shops/nvidia/3080-founders-edition

Edit: FE 3090 still in stock too https://www.scan.co.uk/shops/nvidia/3090-founders-edition

• Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

According to Reddit they actually had stock earlier.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    According to Reddit they actually had stock earlier.

Yeah I f'in missed it while on my lunch break, so frustrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

nvidia store shows up still. got my order through with est delivery of 21st.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

tazzzZ wrote: »
    nvidia store shows up still. got my order through with est delivery of 21st.

Not seeing that at all and I was on their site about 15 minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭heffo9

Ordered est delivery Wednesday 21st Oct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Not seeing that at all and I was on their site about 15 minutes ago.

Im not convenced im going to get my order tbh... i found it on the nvidia store as i said and i could add it on scan then. my m8 went direct to scan and it wasnt available there. he then went through the nvidia store which redirects and he could buy it. id imagine there may have been a delay in the nvidia store displaying out of stock. or ... and i hope this is the case... i just got lucky and got one!!!! fingers crossed... as soon as i get shipped notice i will cancel my order with ocuk...

Advertisement