Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,411 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I wonder did they manage to get a hold of Big Navi figures are realise they are safe performance wise.

According to the article it’s supply chain for GDDR6X

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Overheal wrote: »

How much better is GDDR6X over GDDR6?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I wonder did they manage to get a hold of Big Navi figures are realise they are safe performance wise.

Holding the higher memory variants to use as a carrot with the 7nm refresh / Super cards which will drop next year I'd imagine.

It never really made much sense to me for them to introduce higher memory cards so close to the initial launch of the series, especially given the ongoing supply issues.

We'll get higher memory cards eventually, I think we can be certain of that. I'd say Nvidia want to kill off any hope of them arriving soon though. It's only putting people off from making the jump to upgrade now if they think higher memory cards are just a matter of weeks away.

I'm surprised at the extent of the supply issues though, especially given Nvidia have said they will last well into 2021. It makes me suspicious that the yields they are getting from the Samsung fab process might be poor. That in turn raises the possibility of Nvidia moving to TSMC 7nm much sooner than originally anticipated - i.e. a Super refresh of the series may be months away rather than a year plus away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I did read that and I know it's an issue but if they were afraid of AMD I think they would have launched it anyway - even if it's not available - they seem to be good at that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

I watched something not too long ago, dont ask me where cant remember, that suggested nvidia bought up massive amounts of supply for gddr6x and were drip feeding it out in order to keep stock low and prices high for their cards... all sounded a little bit over the top to me but it was getting thrown around a wk or two ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

tazzzZ wrote: »
    I watched something not too long ago, dont ask me where cant remember, that suggested nvidia bought up massive amounts of supply for gddr6x and were drip feeding it out in order to keep stock low and prices high for their cards... all sounded a little bit over the top to me but it was getting thrown around a wk or two ago.

This makes no sense at all.
    Nvidia does not make a profit from AIB prices being higher than MSRP.
    Nvidia does not sell the FE cards above MSRP, so no profit there either.

The only way Nvidia profits is from higher stock price, which is bumped by higher sales.

I just read up on GDDR6X and Micron is the only supplier since it's their technology. It's not suppose to overclock well either as it affects the working of the technology.

You can read up about it here.

its error correcting memory. so from what ive seen you have a sweet spot with it and after that if you push it further it actually gets worse because it start to generate far more errors which need to be corrected. gamersnexus, jaystwocents etc talk about it a few times during their RIP series

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It has been put out there alright that shortage of GDDR6X might be the reason for the shortages but Micron, the company that produces the memory, have been pretty forceful in stating that they are not experiencing any supply related issues.

Samsung and Nvidia are suspiciously mute about their fabrication process though and any difficulties that may have arisen. Simply refusing to discuss it.

Nvidia took a big gamble going with Samsung to fabricate Ampere. It's a new node from Nvidia and Samsung are rumored to have had to do some serious tailoring to get it to work. It also looks like Nvidia wanted release the series sharpish to get out in front of Big Navi. Rumor has it that they botched it and yields are terrible as a result.

We'll know soon enough anyway. If AMD do not experience the same sort of supply issues with Big Navi then it points to an issue with the Samsung process rather than an industry wide supply chain issue. Similarly, if Nvidia dump Samsung and go to TSMC with a 7nm refresh in a few months then that will be telling in itself.

Also worth noting that AIB partners have made it pretty clear that they simply can't get a hold of enough Ampere chips. Nvidia saying that's due to the 'unprecedented demand' for cards. Hasn't been an issue for previous launches though so it makes you wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Hardware Unboxing did a good review of the Palit RTX3080 Game Rock OC edition, if you can get past the LA RAPPER bling look its a very solid card, very well made and performs really well.

But you will either love it or hate it looks wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

That truly is a horrendous looking card though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

"Game Rock" so what kind of rock did they have in mind?

Star Lord wrote: »
    That truly is a horrendous looking card though!

If it was in stock I would get it and just set the RGB to white...or subtle colour. I rather have it then wait for 6-8mths for a 30 series.

Cordell wrote: »
    "Game Rock" so what kind of rock did they have in mind?

They should call the 3070 Game Paper and the 3090 Game Scissors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    They should call the 3070 Game Paper and the 3090 Game Scissors.

I had a game rock 1080ti back in the day, was an excellent card, dodgy aesthetics, but a great card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

JoyPad wrote: »
    I think this might have done the job.
    After a safe mode cleaning, I was able to play 2 complete games, plus training session between them, without a crash. Too tired to try more games, etc.

I'm quoting my own post, as I'm in trouble once again. However, this time I might have an idea.

So, while the failures seem to have disappeared after the DDU cleanup, they have then returned. To the point where once again I cannot complete a FIFA game. Sometimes the crash happens quickly, sometimes I get to score a goal, and one time it let me finish the match only to crash before I could save the progress.

So, this morning, I once again booted to Safe Mode and did a DDU cleanup, and once again things seem to work.

The one thing that I noticed, and could be the thing, is that Windows installs a slightly older version of the Nvidia drivers (456.38), and the crashing might be related to the latest drivers (456.71).

Right now, I am still on 456.38, and no crashes yet. This time, I intend to not install GeForce Experience or 456.71 drivers, and see if it crashes.

JoyPad wrote: »
    I'm quoting my own post, as I'm in trouble once again. However, this time I might have an idea.

So, while the failures seem to have disappeared after the DDU cleanup, they have then returned. To the point where once again I cannot complete a FIFA game. Sometimes the crash happens quickly, sometimes I get to score a goal, and one time it let me finish the match only to crash before I could save the progress.

So, this morning, I once again booted to Safe Mode and did a DDU cleanup, and once again things seem to work.

The one thing that I noticed, and could be the thing, is that Windows installs a slightly older version of the Nvidia drivers (456.38), and the crashing might be related to the latest drivers (456.71).

Right now, I am still on 456.38, and no crashes yet. This time, I intend to not install GeForce Experience or 456.71 drivers, and see if it crashes.

have you tried undervolting by any chance? also have you daisy chained the 8pin connectors or 2 separate 8 pin cables.

im on FE im afraid so cant give much insight into your exact model

Using the driver that triggers the crash to desktop reduce the GPU clock by 100MHz and see if it gets stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭heffo9

Process I follow for driver installation on new card.

1. Download the latest driver directly from Nvidia.
    2. Disconnect your network, remove the RJ-45 from NIC > Stops Windows update installing a driver.
    3. Run DDU...pick your card from dropdown
    4. DDU > 'Clean and Restart'
    5. DDU > 'Clean and Shutdown'
    6. Reseat your GPU in the chassis
    7. Boot up the system
    8. Run the previously downloaded Nvidia driver.
    9. Reboot the machine
    10. Reconnect NIC.

Another area is the Windows 10 version are you up to date with the latest and greatest?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

I've no 3080 myself, however I've see this crashing to desktop a few times. One particular one was due to their RAM speed. I believe that their RAM was overclocked or just running a bit fast or something and putting the settings on that back seemed to fix the issue. Here is the original link I have on it:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/401356/valorant-crashing-to-desktop-without-any-errors-ev/

Let me know if that helps.

You could also try this:
    Use nsight to analyze your system for causes of hitching and stutters
    https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/using-nsight-systems-for-fixing-stutters-in-games/

Then follow on with these if it doesn't display a trigger or theres evidence the issue is in the nvidia driver.

Performance reports require the user to submit a gpuview or gpu-z log.

How to generating an event trace log for GPUView to troubleshoot performance issues/low FPS/game stutter
    https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3507/~/how-to-generating-an-event-trace-log-for-gpuview-to-troubleshoot-performance

Collecting GPU logs using GPU-Z
    https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4749/

• Advertisement

Fitz II wrote: »
    I had a game rock 1080ti back in the day, was an excellent card, dodgy aesthetics, but a great card.

Well I watched 2 reviews on it now and its meant to be the best build quality out there at the minute and it goes like the clappers....if it was available Id get it.

its error correcting memory. so from what ive seen you have a sweet spot with it and after that if you push it further it actually gets worse because it start to generate far more errors which need to be corrected. gamersnexus, jaystwocents etc talk about it a few times during their RIP series

Yikes. I overlooked that, because well I'm not going team green this time around either I don't think.

I guess nvidia couldn't in their right minds come out and tell people at launch 'yeah you can't overclock these' but letting the community find out like this alongside the stocking issues, they really crashed this product launch.

Yikes. I overlooked that, because well I'm not going team green this time around either I don't think.

I guess nvidia couldn't in their right minds come out and tell people at launch 'yeah you can't overclock these' but letting the community find out like this alongside the stocking issues, they really crashed this product launch.

Tbh I've been more than pleased with the undervolting results. and I went with a modist memory overclock of +250. So that side of the cards I think they got right.

Launch as a whole has been a disaster ofc. Stock issues... Price gauging... Etc.

I'm obviously going to have a brighter outlook because I got one and an fe model at that, so I got msrp.

I do hope amds have a good offering though. Anything that will compete with the 3080 would be great. If I wasn't in the whole gsync eco system I could actually consider them

Exactly problems like that why I've not ventured back into Nvidia's waters, having left after the shambles of the GeForce 8000/9000 series, and I was team green for a couple desktop cards before that - this was my laptop though and the problems literally burned me, if not just utterly made me feel ripped off by nvidia (it didn't help that HP customer service was god awful about support, because I bought a special edition SKU that had the same defect as every other mainstream SKU they had already announced recall for). The thing couldn't play 1080p video without burning up, and there were constant artefacting issues and GPU crashes where my screen would become triangle vomit. When it was time to build a PC again PhysX was bought up by Nvidia and game features that had no reason to be locked to their hardware, were, eg. Arkham Asylum physics effects were just blowing papers around. G-sync is just more of the same, just on a much more committed scale, I'm sure it has it's benefits now! Don't get me wrong! But as a previously burned consumer I don't want to be committed for a grand worth of branded hardware and have always admired AMDs more open source approach.

G-sync works with almost any Freesync monitor.

G-sync works with almost any Freesync monitor.

You mean adaptive sync works with any Freesync monitor.

Don't be giving Nvidia any credit for something they had no part in.

And that's nested in my other point, that I wouldn't go buy a branded G-sync monitor, unless it was a cheaper option. Freesync is open source working with either GPU vendor, and honestly by extension any GPU vendor, even Intel - by the way, good for them on the DG1 card and diversifying. I look at the G sync monitor the same way I would look at a Nespresso or whatever Keurig machine, yeah I'm sure it works great but the pods are niche and I'm gonna just buy whichever one is the most compatible with the most cartridges out there. A monitor with bells and whistles that only work if I commit to nvidia is not great for the consumer.

Both G-sync and Freesync require hardware at the monitor end, proprietary with arguably better performance in NVidia's case, royalty free but not open source in the AMD case.

Both G-sync and Freesync require hardware at the monitor end, proprietary with arguably better performance in NVidia's case, royalty free but not open source in the AMD case.

You are wrong. Nvidia uses a proprietary device for Gsync and Freesync/adaptive sync does not.

I don't know where you got the idea the that G-sync was better that is a old saying people who forked out the extra on a Gsync monitor used to say but have you honestly ever heard any body who uses a Nvidia card complain that adaptive sync is no good.

• Advertisement

You mean adaptive sync works with any Freesync monitor.
    Adaptive sync is the protocol. G-sync is the implementation GPU/driver side.
    Don't be giving Nvidia any credit for something they had no part in.
    They were the first with G-sync, Freesync is free because of that.

Advertisement