Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Right Hand Drive v Left Hand Drive

• 14-08-2018 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking into buying a small campervan to go around Ireland for short trips with my boyfriend and 3 dogs from time to time but also to travel to the continent for longer trips.

I'm trying to figure out would I be better off with a LHD van as that would be easier when I'm abroad and not used to the roads whereas in Ireland it might be less scary being on the "wrong side of the van"! Does anyone have any experience of either driving LHD here or RHD on the continent? I don't want to get one of the big motor home type campers as I wouldn't be comfortable driving them (had experience of one before and it was just too much vehicle for my liking! Great to stay in though!!)

If I do decide to go with LHD, would I be better off going to France or Germany to get one? My budget would be around €10k.

Thanks!!

LHD or RHD? 10 votes

LHD
    10% 1 vote
    RHD
    90% 9 votes

Comments

Can I vote for both?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭willthiswork

Can I vote for both?

Two steering wheels?! 😂

+ forward facing reversing cam
    + RHD headlamp LHS,
    LHD headlamp RHS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Your budget is very small for a campervan. Try to avoid old rusty vehicles as cvrt annual test will be tough if bodywork is poor.. for me I'd definitely go left hand drive..not sure if it justified to travel to mainland Europe to purchase check around Ireland first.. probably a mid 90s Ducato 1.9 or similar for budget mileage might be high but as mentioned avoid rust.. I've driven through France a few times in my rhd van not too bad but you're too reliant on the passenger to let you know when it's safe to overtake trucks etc also awkward at toll boots etc.. I'd prefer the lhd here and it would be mighty around mainland Europe. But others will no doubt disagree..
    Best luck whatever you go for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

If youre gainfully employed you're probably going to end up doing 90% of your driving in ireland. Driving RHD abroad isnt that big a deal and barring Bosnia everywhere we've been has on the whole far better roads. Id be more perturbed driving the wild atlantic way in LHD. As sirliam says you can use a forward facing camera on the passenger side for overtaking or you could just hang they cost peanuts now.

• Advertisement

As sirliam says you can use forward facing camera on the passenger side for overtaking

That was your brainchild. :o
    [different thread, donkeys ago]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭nailer8

I would say RH drive all the way if you can find one.

Driving in Europe on on the wrong side is no prob at all as its a lot of motorway driving anyway and their roads are good. But driving in ireland on the wrong side of the van would definitely annoy me big time.
    Personally mentally i am tuned into the size and shape of a vehicle when sitting on the right, sitting on the other side is always somewhat strange.

Thank you for all the replies!

This is the type of camper I'm thinking of: something that size and shape anyway. I might be able to go up to €15k but obviously I'd rather not! I see what you mean about doing more driving in Ireland than on the continent but I'd be hoping to take a 2 month trip to drive around Europe in the summer time at least every 2 years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

THE most important consideration when purchasing is the layout of the van. If the layout is right its irrelevant whether its LHD or RHD. And obviously your options will be already limited with your budget.
    LDH is no big deal in Ireland. In fact, I think a LHD is easier judge on the smaller country Irish roads.

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    THE most important consideration when purchasing is the layout of the van. If the layout is right its irrelevant whether its LHD or RHD. And obviously your options will be already limited with your budget.
    LDH is no big deal in Ireland. In fact, I think a LHD is easier judge on the smaller country Irish roads.

Is there an optimal layout I should be looking for or is it all personal preference? Thanks :)

• Advertisement

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    THE most important consideration when purchasing is the layout of the van. If the layout is right its irrelevant whether its LHD or RHD

That's exactly why I did a self conversion and would again.
    No point paying for an electrical system that only works in a campsite or a layout that has no dancefloor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Layout is down to preference but if your planning on spending two months in it a decent bed is a must imo. A bed made from a bunch of dinette cushions and filler after a few days is a real pain in the ass, shoulder and neck. Dont underestimate the smelliness of dogs in a small space either. If it was me and it was only two of us I would go for a fixed bed witha seperately ventilated compartment underneath for the dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Layout is down to preference but if your planning on spending two months in it a decent bed is a must imo. A bed made from a bunch of dinette cushions and filler after a few days is a real pain in the ass, shoulder and neck. Dont underestimate the smelliness of dogs in a small space either. If it was me and it was only two of us I would go for a fixed bed witha seperately ventilated compartment underneath for the dogs.
    Layout is personal preference to be honest. Do you want 1 or 2 lounging areas? How do you intend housing 3 dogs when stationery and when on the move? A fixed bed is a good idea but I'm not sure you'll get one for €10k.
    Don't forget the adage - the day you buy, is the day you sell! and personally I would be very slow to buy a camper that had 3 dogs in it (but then again I'm not a massive fan of dogs!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

To paraphrase estate agents - The three most important considerations when buying a campervan are Layout, Layout and Layout.

When we went looking, we decided that we needed 2 bunks, a big overhead, and a table that could convert, with four seatbelts around it. We wanted decent external storage, and a shower.

It took *two years* to find the camper we wanted. I would not revise our course of action in retrospect. It was worth it in the end, even the 2 dozen lungfuls of mildew I got on all the disappointing viewings during that time.

Jaden wrote: »
    To paraphrase estate agents - The three most important considerations when buying a campervan are Layout, Layout and Layout.

When we went looking, we decided that we needed 2 bunks, a big overhead, and a table that could convert, with four seatbelts around it. We wanted decent external storage, and a shower.

It took *two years* to find the camper we wanted. I would not revise our course of action in retrospect. It was worth it in the end, even the 2 dozen lungfuls of mildew I got on all the disappointing viewings during that time.

Ideally I'd like two swivel seats at the front, a double bed and a dining area. Along with a fridge, hob and sink. Space for a portable dog pen if they exist and an awning would be good too. I'm probably getting into hymer size with all of that though!!

One of these days I think I'm getting a Vario....

...after a real house.

2 swivels, milk van sliding front doors, dancefloor, electric & gas hybrid kitchen, compressor fridge, fixed double bed(room), habitation/dining quarters ~800W solar, 16A single phase outlet, forklift battery, hybrid gas/electric shower, diesel heater...

4WD? ...tempting

Advertisement