Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing power jack for amateurs

Options
  • 14-08-2018 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Hi
    I have an acer aspire 5250, it's around 6 years old, it's slowing down a bit but I'm hoping to get another while out of it before I have to replace it.

I've a problem with the power jack, I have to wiggle the plug to get it to charge, seems the jack is damaged or loose. I'm looking at something like this

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/183058415645

and there's lots of videos on youtube on how to replace it. I think the cost to do this in a shop would be a good chunk of the price of a new laptop so I'd like to do it myself. I have taken the laptop apart before to fix the hinge so I'm not completely unfamiliar.

Do you think this is best left to the professionals or is it a simple case of unscrewing the old one and inserting the new one? Is there any danger of frying the laptop, or myself? I can back up all my data to a spare machine

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If you are comfortable dis-assembling the laptop to get at the jack then there is no problem doing it yourself.
    The jack seems to be a push in fit rather than screwed in.
    Just take note of the orientation of the cable when you are removing it so you get the new one in without problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

If you are sure that the fault is not in the power supply lead and that it is definitely the socket. Be a shame to finish the job and the fault be still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

Good point, I'm fairly sure though, the whole corner screen hinge and socket goes on those laptops after a while. I can feel the socket wobbling and the weak spot is inside the laptop rather than on the cable. It beeps to tell you it's charging and there's a beep every time the socket moves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 castlereapc

You can do this yourself as no soldering needed it's just a push in connection

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

You can do this yourself as no soldering needed it's just a push in connection

Cool. Just waiting on delivery now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement