Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir Vision - what's it like?

• 14-08-2018 1:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭

Have just signed up to Eirvision, moving from VM, installer coming tomorrow. Combination of the latest offers and all the rugby in one place has me sold.

What's it actually like? The tv channels lost are really only Sky Entertainment channels, MTVs and National Geographic - everything else I can get fta on satellite. Actually I was surprised at how little difference there was in the tv packages. There doesn't seem to be any catch up or box sets, but these were seldom used on VM.

Broadband (fibre to the home:rolleyes:) - is it solid? In south Dublin.

Anyone else who's moved and happy with it? Or is this a great mistake??

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I've had it a while and it's fine. No bells and whistles, fairly reliable, and cheap. It's TV for people who don't really watch TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

BeerNut wrote: »
    I've had it a while and it's fine. No bells and whistles, fairly reliable, and cheap. It's TV for people who don't really watch TV.

Sorry for lots of questions.

What are you paying per month?

Have you C4, ITVs and C5?

Are the recording/timeshift functions ok?

Can you stream tv on phone away from home?

Thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

What are you paying per month?
    Dunno how much it was extra at the start and it's all in a bundle now, so I couldn't tell you.
    Have you C4
    Yes.
    ITVs and C5?
    No.
    Are the recording/timeshift functions ok?
    They're perfect.
    Can you stream tv on phone away from home?
    Apparently, yes. Never tried it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

I'm in South Dublin and moved from Virgin to Eir.
    I've had no problems with TV, Broadband or Phone.
    My only complaint is the unavailability of HD for Sky Sports, particularly having watched the World Cup in HD on BBC and RTE.
    It's becoming a real pain as my kids are starting to moan about it....
    ...first world problem I suppose, but there you go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

BeerNut wrote: »

Sounds about right, sounds like it'll be grand with the sports as the sweetener. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Just out of curiosity, does eir tv still have the HD versions of RTE/TV3/TG4 etc way down the Epg, instead of having them at the beginning, like Sky, Vodafone etc ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭kooga

I have it more as an add on as for the extra €15 on my broadband/phone as it comes with the bt/eir sport channels (ideal for those who don't have a sky dish)

Rte 1, 2 tv3 and tg4 HD are down at channel 115

unfortunately they don't come as default you have to ring to ask for those channels - its the free HD pack - but once switched on it includes the eir/bt sport hd channels by default.

kooga wrote: »
    I have it more as an add on as for the extra €15 on my broadband/phone as it comes with the bt/eir sport channels (ideal for those who don't have a sky dish)

Rte 1, 2 tv3 and tg4 HD are down at channel 115

unfortunately they don't come as default you have to ring to ask for those channels - its the free HD pack - but once switched on it includes the eir/bt sport hd channels by default.

Nice touch, that it doesn't cost extra to get eir/BT sport in HD.

galtee boy wrote: »
    Nice touch, that it doesn't cost extra to get eir/BT sport in HD.

No - well i'm not paying it.

There is a HD pack for €5 extra but that is bbc 1 2 4 and a couple of others

Ok, this was installed yesterday so my initial impressions as follows:

Broadband seems very stable. Android box etc works the same as on virgin media. Speed tests showing full 150mb speed being obtained over wifi. Time will tell...

TV - actually pleasantly surprised with this. Browsing through channels using now/next is much smoother and quicker than Virgin Media. The TV Guide itself is as useless on Eir as it was on VM. Eir need to make tweaks here to skip forward days etc. Ability to hide channels is a plus.

Eir need to swap the SD channels with their HD counterparts, at the moment its a bit of a mess, but nothing like the mess of the SKY EPG!

Channel line up, Eir are missing SKY channels so Sky 1, Sky News, Sky Living, together with the music channels. Some channels, such as Fox HD and National Geographic HD are actually on Eir even though they don't have them advertised. Indeed there are some additional channels on Eir not on VM. No great shakes here either way.

Sport is obviously the big plus on Eir. Their rugby line up is impressive for next year, so all in HD is a great bonus and the driver for me switching. I have no interest in sky sports so the fact it is not available in HD isn't relevant to me.

Picture quality actually pretty good, although VM have additional HD channels (E4 etc) but not significant for me.

No catch up TV, play from start or box sets but this was rarely used on VM.

Box itself is much neater than the horizon box. Eir remote is annoying in that it can't t control the TV power or volume.

All in all, a positive start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

According to eir's website VM One HD and Three HD are available but VM Two HD isn't

Is this correct?

According to eir's website VM One HD and Three HD are available but VM Two HD isn't

Is this correct?
    Yes - but vm three hd is part of the 5€ pm extra hd pack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

kooga wrote: »
    Yes - but vm three hd is part of the 5€ pm extra hd pack

Thanks. Strange that VM Two HD isn't available

Thanks. Strange that VM Two HD isn't available
    After tying to watch the football on Sunday on vm3sd it was appalling quality i posted a question on the talk to eir thread asking all those questions

Is this correct?

The only two platforms that have VM 1,2&3 in HD are Virgin themselves and Vodafone TV.

Is this correct?

I have the HD pack and have 2 versions of VM3 in SD, what is badged as HD is most definitely not HD. It doesn't carry the HD logo on screen, although it does in the channel listings. So unless I have a faulty package (???) its definitely not on Eir, even though it is advertised as such.

Advertisement