Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting an air rifle

Options
  • 14-08-2018 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi all
    I’m going to get an air rifle but am not sure which one to get
    I’m looking for a pcp fac air rifle second hand or new for hunting with a range about 80 yards or so. I have €500 to spending like the air arms fac gun but they are a bit pricey would anyone have any recommendations on a good air rifle to get
    It seems hard to find second hand air rifles for sale in Ireland but very easy to find them on Guntrader.co.uk. If I was to buy from Guntrader how would I go about importing it and then licensing it
    Thanks for all replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I'm not up on air rifles, but for the import of a gun you will need to pick a gun, get the relevant info from the dealer, make , model serial number etc., then apply for a licence over here for it. When you get your licence you will apply for an import permit from the DOJ (free), then arrange for it to be exported out of UK and into Ireland via a courier / shipping company and usually to a registered firearms dealer here. Problems can arise with the courier / shipping company. Have a look in the North, but before so have a good look around the various gun dealers and give them a ring as not all of the web sites are up to date.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Don't bother importing, go up North and look in the flesh.

Most dealers in the North especially along the border at very used to Southern lads coming up so are well up on the import process. Tannyoky have a good selection and a great shop.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭HW100S

Williamjg wrote: »
    Hi all
    I’m looking for a pcp fac air rifle second hand or new for hunting with a range about 80 yards or so. I have €500 to spending like the air arms fac gun but they are a bit pricey would anyone have any recommendations on a good air rifle to get
    If you want to kill at 80m then €500 is not going to cut it IMO. Also if you go PCP remember all the extras that go with the rifle - the tank/foot pump, scope, additional moderator, bipod etc .These alone will set you back €500. (Assuming you don't have these already)
    Plenty of threads on here about different air rifles so you will get good recommendations if you read them. You mentioned Air Arms - these are great, you may get a used one for €500 but its the extras that will catch you.
    Best of luck, hopefully you get something and start enjoying hunting with an air rifle...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sniperman

If you want to kill 80 yrds get a .22,less expensive,

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭HW100S

sniperman wrote: »
    If you want to kill 80 yrds get a .22,less expensive,
    Agreed. With a 22 rimfire you won't have the additional costs for filling that I mentioned above.
    However, with a 22 rimfire you won't have the ability to shoot in around farmyards or in sheds.
    So, all depends on what your need is. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Williamjg

HW100S wrote: »
    If you want to kill at 80m then €500 is not going to cut it IMO. Also if you go PCP remember all the extras that go with the rifle - the tank/foot pump, scope, additional moderator, bipod etc .These alone will set you back €500. (Assuming you don't have these already)
    Plenty of threads on here about different air rifles so you will get good recommendations if you read them. You mentioned Air Arms - these are great, you may get a used one for €500 but its the extras that will catch you.
    Best of luck, hopefully you get something and start enjoying hunting with an air rifle...:)

I was looking at secondhand bsa super tens
    They are an older gun but they are very accurate and all the reviews I have read seem great and it is a 28 foot pound gun so 80 meters should be ok and they usually come with a Hawke or Tasco 3x9x50 scopes which will do the job nicely and the rifle has a moderator that comes as standard with all bsa super tens and the rifle costs about €450 with the scope and moderator and a 200cc bottle
    I have already looked at pumps and on amazon you can get a air rifle foot pump with adapters that fill a gun to 3000 psi and they cost €50 and for a bipod again amazon Good looking bipod with great reviews for only €15
    So I think i have found a good starter setup that will sort out my criteria

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

My old man has a BSA PCP running in the +20ft/lb range. 80 yards is fine for plinking but I personally wouldn't attempt too many hunting shots at this range. Yes I've seen YouTube videos of people making good shots at these ranges but they are trying to show themselves in a good light. They're not showing the misses or ones they wound.

I've experienced, what I consider, solid hits at much closer ranges and the quarry is not dispatched cleanly. This can be very frustrating and disheartening. I prefer to be over than under gunned :D

Saying that, I love PCP air rifles they're just brilliant.

Is the 200cc cylinder tested?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

As above - air rifle in 22 isn't up to that sort of range as a baseline. 45-50 is perfectly fine, but that's where it stops.
    Yes shots can be made beyond that but there are simply too many variables in play to be able to place such a small and light projectile, travelling so slowly, with the sort of precision required for a humane kill at those energy levels, with any measure of consistency at that range.

Plinking - sure. They're well able for it, just the same way that a 22LR on subs is able to reach out to 300 yards; but not for hunting. ;)

Advertisement