Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Curse of Defective Concrete (Mica, Pyrrhotite, etc.) in Donegal homes - Read Mod warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Penfailed wrote: »
    The cores are 110mm. Don't forget 23% of the total is VAT.

In fairness 23 percent vat doesn't make up 7 grand there is some shenanigans going on here. This simply isn't complicated work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,585 ✭✭✭Penfailed

listermint wrote: »
    In fairness 23 percent vat doesn't make up 7 grand there is some shenanigans going on here. This simply isn't complicated work.

It's easy to throw figures at it and come up with the wrong answer. You're guessing how much it is to take a core, you're guessing how much it costs to get a core tested, you're guessing how much it costs to reinstate a core, you're guessing how much a chartered engineer charges for their time and how much time is spent on it...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭jj880

Behind a paywall unfortunately.

The full article has been posted in the 100% redress group. Its well worth a read.

jj880 wrote: »
    The full article has been posted in the 100% redress group. Its well worth a read.

"This is like watching an earthquake in slow motion."

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The council are not going to look good when all this is over.

I don't do FB, could someone perhaps cut and paste the article in here?

I think there will be more media coverage this week. Claire Byrne Show covering it, not sure if radio or TV, hopefully both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's a shame Waterford whispers pathetic attempt at comedy failed to point out that the average monetary compensation that the mica scheme will pay out is double that of the pyrite one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's easy to throw figures at it and come up with the wrong answer. You're guessing how much it is to take a core, you're guessing how much it costs to get a core tested, you're guessing how much it costs to reinstate a core, you're guessing how much a chartered engineer charges for their time and how much time is spent on it...

Guessing? Did I not already explained I drilled 14 holes in my own house for ventilation 110mm and I got quotes for the work. So I bought my own core drill and then sold it on afterwards.

Guessing I am not. So over to you opinion man.

This work is not worth 7 grand. Anyone saying it is I'm immediately suspicious of motivations.

Also I've had chartered engineer on my house to certify steel works. I know the costs. It seems you don't that's the key here.

NIMAN wrote: »

I think there will be more media coverage this week. Claire Byrne Show covering it, not sure if radio or TV, hopefully both.

Group and all posts are public. Article screenshots accessible here without a facebook login:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/297785338568131/permalink/315098120170186/

you can right click each screenshot and download if you have any trouble with a login banner at the bottom of the screen.

This story is still not getting the national media attention it should be.

Does anybody remember the news coverage surrounding Priory hall apartments in Dublin many years back? It rightfully got huge attention at the time.
    But compare that to what is happening here now with this mica issue which is affecting a larger amount of people.

If this same mica issue happened in Dublin there would be massive media attention on it now.
    I really hope for all involved that the planned protest in Dublin brings more attention to this, but I feel that only something like blocking up the M50 or something else that may cause disruption in Dublin may be the only thing to start getting proper coverage on this.

Priory Hall wasn't in the news every day. In fact "Priory Hall" Dublin returns 65k Google hits. Mica and Donegal 199k hits and pyrite and Dublin 250k hits.

The idea that the issues in Donegal are not getting similar levels of attention to issues elsewhere is not borne out by the facts at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/mica-controversy-we-were-toldit-was-best-tosay-nothing-40506620.html

Former FG councillor turns whistle blower. It's all kicking off now.

Headline: Mica controversy: ‘We were told it was best to say nothing’

not a very good councillor if he gets put off chasing things down in his own office

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Priory Hall wasn't in the news every day. In fact "Priory Hall" Dublin returns 65k Google hits. Mica and Donegal 199k hits and pyrite and Dublin 250k hits.

The idea that the issues in Donegal are not getting similar levels of attention to issues elsewhere is not borne out by the facts at all.

How many people were affected by priory hall.

How many people were affected by priory hall.
    This rural Ireland persecution complex is tiresome mainly because it's almost entirely false. Priory Hall effected a few hundred people so yes it was small relatively speaking. Consequently the coverage was less.

When you contrast mica with the long running pyrite problem the amount of coverage is quite similar.

not a very good councillor if he gets put off chasing things down in own office

Should have spoken up sooner for sure. That is not lost on the redress group which is full of his former constituents. Content of the article is good though and in national media. A welcome article for the campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

If any of the people affected have to demolish their homes and rebuild, they shouldn't have to go through the whole planning process. And if they have to, all planning fees should be waived.

It's a shame Waterford whispers pathetic attempt at comedy failed to point out that the average monetary compensation that the mica scheme will pay out is double that of the pyrite one.

Why? What difference should that make?

listermint wrote: »
    Guessing? Did I not already explained I drilled 14 holes in my own house for ventilation 110mm and I got quotes for the work. So I bought my own core drill and then sold it on afterwards.

Guessing I am not. So over to you opinion man.

This work is not worth 7 grand. Anyone saying it is I'm immediately suspicious of motivations.

Also I've had chartered engineer on my house to certify steel works. I know the costs. It seems you don't that's the key here.

Again, you are not comparing like for like. Those 14 cores that you took...did you send them to England to get tested for anything? Anyway, it's about €5,500 plus VAT, not €7,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

NIMAN wrote: »

ALL current affairs tv & radio shows, north and south should be covering this until a satisfactory conclusion is reached.

This rural Ireland persecution complex is tiresome mainly because it's almost entirely false. Priory Hall effected a few hundred people so yes it was small relatively speaking. Consequently the coverage was less.

When you contrast mica with the long running pyrite problem the amount of coverage is quite similar.

Agreed so no need to bring priory hall up again as an example but we will settle for the same redress package as the pyrite issue got.
    Also I heard very little on our national broadcaster about the mica in Donegal and anything I did hear for example the amount of people at a March were very far off the mark, so a real interest of reporting the truth about the issue is still along way off in my opinion.

MrMusician maintains that because the bill for mica will be bigger than for pyrite that mica home owners should be happy getting screwed in comparison on redress. So if there is ever a bigger scandal requiring a bigger redress bill in the coming years, which includes where he lives, will MrMusician be happy if that redress scheme is even less fit for purpose than the current mica scheme? No he wouldn't and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

If the tax payer should pay for faulty buildings, should they also pay for businesses that fail , wrong business decisions, poor investment decisions etc. Where does the liability of thr tax payer end ?

• Advertisement

Agreed so no need to bring priory hall up again as an example but we will settle for the same redress package as the pyrite issue got.
    Also I heard very little on our national broadcaster about the mica in Donegal and anything I did hear for example the amount of people at a March were very far off the mark, so a real interest of reporting the truth about the issue is still along way off in my opinion.

So you'll be happy with a compensation package that averages €70k, since you want the same as those that were affected by pyrite.

So you'll be happy with a compensation package that averages €70k, since you want the same as those that were affected by pyrite.

Are you trolling for a reaction?

Because they are implying that the state is standing idly by and doing little because they're rural. The truth of the matter is that the proposed scheme offers twice as much financial support in absolute terms over the pyrite one.

That's twice the level of support per family when it has no liability requiring it to help at all.

This isn't trolling, just pointing out that reality.

Some gymnastics going on here. So this is your new approach? If you have pyrite in your house you should get x amount but if you have mica you are still only entitled to x amount and no more. So again tough sh!t if you got mica instead of pyrite. Deary me.

Course not and you know this. Just treated the same as the people affected by pyrite were.
    Would you be happy having to take out a second mortgage on your home of anything from 30,40,50,000 or more to fix your home that was caused by no fault of your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Are you trolling for a reaction?

I'm pretty sure that's the case. The "average of €70k" one is the clincher.

I'm unfortunately going to have to just bail out of this thread til he gets bored and sods off.

Some gymnastics going on here. So this is your new approach? If you have pyrite in your house you should get x amount but if you have mica you are still only entitled to x amount and no more. So again tough sh!t if you got mica instead of pyrite. Deary me.

No it just points to the absurdity of trying to equate the two different issues. "We want to be treated the same as the pyrite houses", the State could easily turn around and say sure, we will give you the same amount of money that we gave to them. Isn't that equality?

Course not and you know this. Just treated the same as the people affected by pyrite were.
    Would you be happy having to take out a second mortgage on your home of anything from 30,40,50,000 or more to fix your home that was caused by no fault of your own.

And no fault of the State either we should add.

First answer the question was put to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

State failed to properly regulate Cassidys, whether laziness or something else ,we'll probably never know, Now we have FG HQ telling their councillors to stay quiet which would suggest some guilt and Blaney and McConnellogue's willingness to commit political suicide to protect the party would suggest state knowledge of the problem

Advertisement