Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Curse of Defective Concrete (Mica, Pyrrhotite, etc.) in Donegal homes - Read Mod warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I wonder do the groups campaigning for redress know this fact about the head of the Working Group?
    I'd be surprised if they do, as I'm sure it wouldn't sit well with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Makes a startling point when she started pulling at the wall and almost took off a whole section, followed by the nervous laugh after.

I noticed that but perhaps predictably it's almost vanished off the Irish Media Radar, not a mention on the main sites over the past two days, let alone main news bulletins.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I'm not on Facebook, but has no one on the mica action group flagged his appointment as being odd or strange

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm not on Facebook, but has no one on the mica action group flagged his appointment as being odd or strange

He was appointed 5 months ago or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭jj880

NIMAN wrote: »
    I wonder do the groups campaigning for redress know this fact about the head of the Working Group?
    I'd be surprised if they do, as I'm sure it wouldn't sit well with them.

A lot of posters in the 100% redress group are already asking the question: how do we trust the blocks that will be used for redress?

You would think this working group would have some input and homeowners wont be happy. Like hiring the big bad wolf to rebuild the little piggy's houses after he's blown them down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Mcdock

https://www.facebook.com/groups/297785338568131/permalink/321847536161911/

Just to show that there is more than cassidys at it

Mcdock wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/297785338568131/permalink/321847536161911/

Just to show that there is more than cassidys at it

From what I can make of this is some people are saying that the blocks supplied by mc daids could of come from Cassidys.
    I haven't a clue if this is correct or not.
    Surely after what has happened in the Last month or so these quarries would of had a thorough inspection and produce tested.

From what I can make of this is some people are saying that the blocks supplied by mc daids could of come from Cassidys.
    I haven't a clue if this is correct or not.
    Surely after what has happened in the Last month or so these quarries would of had a thorough inspection and produce tested.

Yeah I have heard that also,
    But they do use a different stone to cassidys, more of a brown stone, were cassidys is like a crushed lime stone,

Yeah I have heard that also,
    But they do use a different stone to cassidys, more of a brown stone, were cassidys is like a crushed lime stone,

If Mcdaids had put out blocks that had come from Cassidys you think it would be in there interest to admit to this for their own sake.

If Mcdaids had put out blocks that had come from Cassidys you think it would be in there interest to admit to this for their own sake.

They have admitted to this, they say that they couldn't keep up with supply,
    But I have worked on few houses that used there blocks, replacing outer skin, that they say are ones that came from Cassidys, but there not cassidys blocks, compeatly different colour,

And now I see they have started making blocks again since cassidys stopped,

• Advertisement

They have admitted to this, they say that they couldn't keep up with supply,
    But I have worked on few houses that used there blocks, replacing outer skin, that they say are ones that came from Cassidys, but there not cassidys blocks, compeatly different colour,

And now I see they have started making blocks again since cassidys stopped,

Surely to jesus someone from council or government is checking the blocks leaving the quarries now.
    Surely it's still not self certification after all that has happened here.

Surely to jesus someone from council or government is checking the blocks leaving the quarries now.
    Surely it's still not self certification after all that has happened here.

Not sure but have not heard of a rule change yet
    Alot of people starting to use Robinson blocks now,

• Registered Users Posts: 46,083 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Seriously folks, would you really believe anything you read on Facebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

jj880 wrote: »
    Big questions for Donegal County Council to answer here.

How were tenders awarded to companies without suitable insurance to cover products purchased by the tax payer?

And then why wasnt the quarry immediately prevented from producing any more defective blocks?

https://merrionstreet.ie/en/news-room/releases/minister_obrien_appoints_mr_seamus_neely_to_chair_independent_working_group_on_defective_housing.html

Well let's hear from Mr Neely as it seems to be a perfect fit for his current job description. As I understand it he was head of DCC for 10 years from 2010 - 2020.

This has to be got to the bottom of. People have to be held to account here. Redress is one thing but this cannot be allowed to happen again.

What an absolute joke, Seamus Neely being made head of a group to look into the councils affairs while he himself was in charge of the council! You couldn’t make this shiit up if you tried!

If he had an ounce of morals or decency he’d excuse himself from the job due to the absolutely screaming CONFLICT OF INTEREST!!!!

muffler wrote: »

Regarding what

There are rumours going around that because Cassidys was making blocks so cheap they were supplying all over the country. Of course this is conjecture, but it could be true I guess. I’ve said it before but this is only the tip or the iceberg. I’ve seen houses built in Donegal in 2018 and the chimneys are cracking already. Scary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

It's pretty sad and unlucky, but Remind me again why it should be a taxpayer issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It's pretty sad and unlucky, but Remind me again why it should be a taxpayer issue?

No we won’t remind you. Why don’t you start at the beginning of the thread and read for yourself or is that beyond your capabilities?

Well as someone who is in the cassidys block house, I have been told by my qs I will need at least 70,000 euro, along with the grant to fix my house,
    I can put up some money for it, but not a hope of anyone giving me that kind of money

Regarding what
    Regarding anything

• Advertisement

Well as someone who is in the cassidys block house, I have been told by my qs I will need at least 70,000 euro, along with the grant to fix my house,
    I can put up some money for it, but not a hope of anyone giving me that kind of money
    Grant?? or is this the redress scheme?

Have you applied for it?

Have you applied for it?

Sorry meant redress scheme
    I have applied, but now my engineer, is waiting to see if they will change the scheme now, before he gives me a final report and what he would recommend I do
    But he told me to get prices for full rebuild,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Don’t let the door hit you on the arse as your leaving…there’s a good child.
    … your like a petulant child telling stories …
    No we won’t remind you. Why don’t you start at the beginning of the thread and read for yourself or is that beyond your capabilities?

Cee-Jay-Cee, your posts are not of an acceptable standard. You do not have to agree with other posters but you are required to be respectful and civil when you reply to posts and address other members of this site. I am giving you a chance to adjust your posting style. If you fail to do so, further mod action will be taken.

Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

The quality of information posted on social media is dependent on who is posting it. I wouldn’t write it all off. There are some level headed people using Facebook. It’s just another platform to publish information. Some factual, some not so much. I find it relatively easy to decipher how reputable the source of posts is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

What an absolute joke, Seamus Neely being made head of a group to look into the councils affairs while he himself was in charge of the council! You couldn’t make this shiit up if you tried!

If he had an ounce of morals or decency he’d excuse himself from the job due to the absolutely screaming CONFLICT OF INTEREST!!!!

I heard about this last week. What a friggin joke! Have these people no shame? Laterly didn't a large part of this scandal happen during this gentleman's employment? You couldn't make it up. A public enquiry is needed now. The people of Ireland need to see the scale of incompetence, ineptitude and malfeasance that allowed this catastrophe to happen. Oh, I forgot, it's not what you know it's who you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭GSBellew

kippy wrote: »
    Yes, the loading goes to tax payers instead either directly or indirectly.
    Someone has to pay.
    The redress option you outline is not viable for what should be obvious reasons.
    The issue will eventually be a state problem anyway and a worse one if it isn't sorted.

Can you please explain the obvious reasons why those benefitting from a redress scheme should not bear some of the costs?

It's not obvious to me, what you are suggesting is that the state pays for uninsured screw ups.

I will compare that to the uninsured drivers fund, MIBI, we pay into it on our premiums to cover uninsured accidents, you want the tax payer to underwrite every concrete block from now to the end of time, that'll require a levy on every block to underwrite any potential problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I heard about this last week. What a friggin joke! Have these people no shame? Laterly didn't a large part of this scandal happen during this gentleman's employment? You couldn't make it up. A public enquiry is needed now. The people of Ireland need to see the scale of incompetence, ineptitude and malfeasance that allowed this catastrophe to happen. Oh, I forgot, it's not what you know it's who you know.

I don't think it follows that he should be made a scapegoat. The regulations regarding Mica have been around since 1949 so it is difficult to see what he has done differently from any of his predecessors.

I don't think it follows that he should be made a scapegoat. The regulations regarding Mica have been around since 1949 so it is difficult to see what he has done differently from any of his predecessors.

I take it your new to this thread. If you go back to the start and read what has been going on you might want to change your point of view .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Have you applied for it?

The redress scheme is a grant.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭jj880

Great idea. His predecessors should answer questions too. Good man jimmy.

Advertisement