Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir refusing to install a cable.

Options
  • 14-08-2018 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey, 

I live at Inis Alainn, Curryclough, Bandon, Co.Cork. Its one of the newer estates in Bandon, and is the bigger part of a very big housing estate. I've been living here for more than a year now and I don't have any internet or telephone access as there is no cable in the main road.

I've been contacting Eir for over a year now, each time they tell me to either order broadband, which I can’t or they move me from sales departament to costumer care, and from costumer care to sales, and the cycle continues. 

Around march I decided to make an bundle order, cellphone and broadband as I was told I an have whooping 2mb for 45 euros. I ordered it, Eir engineer arrived and informed me that I can’t have internet as the main road is not connected to the box. 

My neighbour fell for this too, as they ordered internet and engineer arrived to inform them they can’t have it. We cantacted Eir about this and they just said they will install it someday, 

Fast forward to May, we have a call from Eir to inform us, they will be installing the cable at our road, and it will be done by August. Well, here we are, still without internet or cable for it, we can’t have any broadband as Eir is just refusing to install it. Each time I call them now I get told that I need to make an order as I can have 2mb of internet, any ideas of what I can do about this situation ? Living without internet for over a year is no fun. 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Report it to Comreg 

EIR have to give you a cable under the USO (Universal Services Obligation)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Wordy.K

fergus1001 wrote: »
    Report it to Comreg 

I did report it Comreg, the lady on live chat informed me that Eir doesn't have to do that, and it could be their financial decision to not install the cable. She also told me that Comreg can't make Eir install the cable. Should I try to call them instead ?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Surely if 2mb is all that's on offer you would be better looking at a 4g router and sim?

Surely if 2mb is all that's on offer you would be better looking at a 4g router and sim?
    I did, none of the companies I tried cover my area, or they don't have any free spaces. 4G coverage in my house depends which room you are in. I tried Vodafone offer, of 150GB limit per month, but it was poor. Thing is the 2mb offer is only in their website, reality is I can't have any sort of broadband as cable is not installed. When they contacted me in May they said it will be a fibre cable that will be installed, but that did not happen. 

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Wordy.K wrote: »
    I did, none of the companies I tried cover my area, or they don't have any free spaces. 4G coverage in my house depends which room you are in. I tried Vodafone offer, of 150GB limit per month, but it was poor. Thing is the 2mb offer is only in their website, reality is I can't have any sort of broadband as cable is not installed. When they contacted me in May they said it will be a fibre cable that will be installed, but that did not happen. 

Are you thinking about satellite when you say no spare spaces? 4g is mobile . Simply place the router (proper 4g router) in the room with the strongest 4g signal and away you go - once the router is where the strongest signal is it doesn't affect coverage in the rest of the house.

If you have an unlocked router order a free sim from each of the operators and see which gives you the best coverage. Bit of trial and error involved but far better than wasting your time waiting for a cable with no idea of performance and being locked into a contract.

Three do a good bundle (coverage dependent) but any of the operators pay as you go or bill pay data plans can be used in a 4g router with some tinkering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Hey, 

I live at Inis Alainn, Curryclough, Bandon, Co.Cork. Its one of the newer estates in Bandon, and is the bigger part of a very big housing estate. I've been living here for more than a year now and I don't have any internet or telephone access as there is no cable in the main road.

I've been contacting Eir for over a year now, each time they tell me to either order broadband, which I can’t or they move me from sales departament to costumer care, and from costumer care to sales, and the cycle continues. 

Around march I decided to make an bundle order, cellphone and broadband as I was told I an have whooping 2mb for 45 euros. I ordered it, Eir engineer arrived and informed me that I can’t have internet as the main road is not connected to the box. 

My neighbour fell for this too, as they ordered internet and engineer arrived to inform them they can’t have it. We cantacted Eir about this and they just said they will install it someday, 

Fast forward to May, we have a call from Eir to inform us, they will be installing the cable at our road, and it will be done by August. Well, here we are, still without internet or cable for it, we can’t have any broadband as Eir is just refusing to install it. Each time I call them now I get told that I need to make an order as I can have 2mb of internet, any ideas of what I can do about this situation ? Living without internet for over a year is no fun. 

Hi Wordy.K,

I'm very sorry to hear about the long delays you are experiencing in getting a service up and running, I understand this is frustrating.

Feel free to PM me your order reference, full address, name and email address and I'll have a look into this for You.

Thanks

Tracey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Report it to Comreg 

I did report it Comreg, the lady on live chat informed me that Eir doesn't have to do that, and it could be their financial decision to not install the cable. She also told me that Comreg can't make Eir install the cable. Should I try to call them instead ?
    well unless eir is above the law yes they have to, its nothing to do with comercial decisions it is their duty as the main telecoms provider in the state to provide you with a phoneline 

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/eir-fined-3m-for-breaching-rural-service-obligations-1.3046575

Report it to Comreg 

well unless eir is above the law yes they have to, its nothing to do with comercial decisions it is their duty as the main telecoms provider in the state to provide you with a phoneline 
    I contacted them again, this time by phone, they guy asked his supervisor and he conformed that they cannot make Eir spend money if the don't want to. I told him about the USO, but he again said they can't make them do anything. 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

There's a cost threshold on the USO, and the legislation for the amount is reduced based on what services you can already get and it's main focus is voice service. Even if the 4g connection you get isn't great for data that still means you can get mobile signal and probably enough for voice so their obligation is limited.

As it cost more than the threshold they don't have to, they can ask you to pay the difference and supply it then but they usually don't.

Varik wrote: »
    There's a cost threshold on the USO, and the legislation for the amount is reduced based on what services you can already get and it's main focus is voice service. Even if the 4g connection you get isn't great for data that still means you can get mobile signal and probably enough for voice so their obligation is limited.

As it cost more than the threshold they don't have to, they can ask you to pay the difference but they usually don't and supply it then but they usually don't.
    Oh ye, that sort of makes sense. Still, there is 30 houses on this estate, and more being build down the road, and all of them have no access to simple landline, even if it would be 2mb. 

• Advertisement
Advertisement