Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timing of Long Run Before Marathon

• 14-08-2018 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭

I am in the middle of prep for the Valencia Marathon in December.  I am using Matt Fitzgeralds 80/20 running book for my plan as it served me well for last half marathon in May.  This will be my first marathon.  
    My questions are that according to the plan the longest run comes exactly 2 weeks before the marathon itself and it is works out at 29km, is this too soon before the actual race and is it long enough?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

kilns wrote: »
    I am in the middle of prep for the Valencia Marathon in December.  I am using Matt Fitzgeralds 80/20 running book for my plan as it served me well for last half marathon in May.  This will be my first marathon.  
    My questions are that according to the plan the longest run comes exactly 2 weeks before the marathon itself and it is works out at 29km, is this too soon before the actual race and is it long enough?
    Kilns, it sounds like a strange plan if I'm being honest. There are lots of different approaches and people respond differently. There's only one way to find out what works for you. I would normally have done a few 30/32 (up to 36k) runs in a marathon programme and yes the longest would probably be 3 or 4 weeks out. This time I'm going to try a different type of plan (Hansons) but as from this morning I'm on the sick bench with a right painful hip. Check out a few training logs and the Valencia Marathon thread. Also maybe check out the sub 3, or 4!, threads for ideas and debates. 
    Good luck with the first one. Mind me asking what you're aiming for?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shayno90

First marathon guide would be this:

https://www.halhigdon.com/training/marathon-training/

It is an 18 week plan with last 4 weeks below (Novice 1):

15 Rest 5 mi run 10 mi run 5 mi run Rest 20mi Cross
    16 Rest 5 mi run 8 mi run 4 mi run Rest 12mi Cross
    17 Rest 4 mi run 6 mi run 3 mi run Rest 8mi Cross
    18 Rest 3 mi run 4 mi run 2 mi run Rest Rest Marathon

Last long run is 20 miles which 3 weeks before Marathon, you should have greatly reduced mileage in the run in.

Advertisement