Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 4G router and speed help!

Options
  • 14-08-2018 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

Hi,
    I got my new HUAWEI b525 router with 3 yesterday. 4-5 bars on, connected to my mac, PS4, android box via Ethernet.
    Mac speeds of 60-120mbps depending on speed checker. Downloaded a podcast of 200mb in approx 30sec.
    Ps4 was taking 43 min to download a game of 1,2gb. Giving speeds of 20-35mbps.
    Android box giving speeds of 15-25mbps. Struggling to stream without pauses.
    All at similar times of the day.
    The wan/lan light on the router is blinking regularly even when no internet on.
    Minimal instruction came with it.
    Wondering why the big discrepancy between the speeds?
    Is it normal for the was/lan to constantly flash?
    If it says I'm getting 20-30mbps, why is my ps4 not downloading at those speeds/android box not faster?
    Have I missed something in setting it up?
    Cheers
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

Your ISP is shaping or prioritising traffic, and/or the streaming service is not particularly well connected with three. Blinking isn't an issue; 'some traffic' will be passing and cause the activity light to pass.

Basically; a speedtest will be tuned to give 'headline' speeds, but heavy services at peak times will be throttled somewhat. Hopefully not unusable, but streaming services of maybe dubious legality can be a minefield to get working.

In other words: Probably not the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sounds much more likely that they're using WiFi and seeing expected results.

Cable up.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭kopite davo

They were all cabled up.

Advertisement