Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving Notice at the start of a New Lease

Options
  • 14-08-2018 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Hi

Tenants living in apartment 1 year. They have just signed a new lease. Can an owner of the apartment give them notice now because they need to move in? Am i correct in saying it would be 2 months notice?? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Can't give notice and evict if tenant has a fixed term lease until the lease expires. You can only give notice if you want to move in if the tenant has a Part 4 tenancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭remembering

I just rang citizens advice and they said I definitely could but i would have to give the correct amount of notice???

I just rang citizens advice and they said I definitely could but i would have to give the correct amount of notice???

Citizens advice are definitely wrong, if your tenant recently signed a fixed term lease, say for a year, then you cannot evict them during that term unless they breach the lease.

Thanks . What if they didn't sign a new lease for the new year??

Thanks . What if they didn't sign a new lease for the new year??

If no fixed term lease was signed, as long as the tenant was there for more than 6 months they have part4 tenancy rights and you could evict if you wanted to move in, provided you serve them with the correct notice of termination. If they signed a term lease, then they have a right to stay until the end of that term.

You said in your op that they have signed the lease though.

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/ending-a-tenancy/ending-a-fixed-term-tenancy/

• Advertisement

Thanks a mil . Much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Does the lease have a break clause in it?

Not sure cause my ex deals with lease side of things. I need to see a copy I guess ������

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It’s not straightforward to answer. Does the lease have a break clause? Once we know that, then we can give more accurate advice.

Advertisement