Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrong Decision

• 14-08-2018 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19 Paulyman

Maybe I am a bit hard on myself. I just started a new job in AP. To be honest while the salary is great I do not feel it is for me.

Over 2 weeks ago I had a first round interview with a bank for a really interesting position. It went on for an hour and a half including a test which I found extreme but I felt that I did well. I made the interviewers aware that I was starting a new job in 2 weeks and I would need feedback asap. They gave me no deadline but said that this was ok. However they made it look that they were very interested in me.

I have received no feedback in 2 weeks. I maybe acted a little rashly and said that I started a new job and had lost interest in their job and to delete my CV. The HR person advised first round interviews are not finished and people would get feedback in due course without naming a time. She said she would delete my CV. Looking back maybe I should have just asked for feedback and seen what happened. I suppose I was just so frustrated from making a huge effort and getting seemily nothing from it.

Do people think I was too hasty or am I beating myself up too much over it? Thanks for any thoughts

Comments

Pretty silly decision op. Can you contact them again and explain the other job fell through and you are still interested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Pretty silly decision op. Can you contact them again and explain the other job fell through and you are still interested?

Very few would be interested in hiring someone who just messed them around and told them to keep their job.

Time to move on OP.

Too hasty altogether but you live and you learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Paulyman wrote: »
    Do people think I was too hasty or am I beating myself up too much over it? Thanks for any thoughts

Both things may be true! I would definitely say you were too hasty, but no point in dwelling on it.

How snotty were you with them? There might be no harm in asking for them to continue to consider you. Not much to lose.

I'd lower my expectations on how soon to hear back after a first round interview though. Certainly you'd hope to get a stronger hint within 2 weeks, but if there's lots of applicants, they genuinely may not know where you stand against the others for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

What had you to lose by waiting?

I think it was a very silly thing to do, but it's done now so chalk it down to experience and move on, learn from it, and don't do it again. Recruitment is a lengthy process and you need to accept that when you start interviewing. Remember that next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,614 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We all make wrong decisions from time to time.

There’s nothing to be lost by contacting them again and explaining you made a mistake, they will either consider you or they won’t.
    I was once leaving the house for interview and realised I was 24 hours late. I phoned, explained my case and offered to facilitate whatever schedule they had for a chance of interview, I was given a place at the second round of interviews and blew them away, worked there for years and myself and the boss often joked about it.

Lastly, don’t dwell on it too much. If it doesn’t happen just let it go and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Have you started a new job?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Paulyman

_Brian wrote: »
    We all make wrong decisions from time to time.

There’s nothing to be lost by contacting them again and explaining you made a mistake, they will either consider you or they won’t.
    I was once leaving the house for interview and realised I was 24 hours late. I phoned, explained my case and offered to facilitate whatever schedule they had for a chance of interview, I was given a place at the second round of interviews and blew them away, worked there for years and myself and the boss often joked about it.

Lastly, don’t dwell on it too much. If it doesn’t happen just let it go and move on.

Thanks Brian for your well written comments. Before people say it was a very silly thing to do, there is a long time between tests, 2 interviews before you get offered the job. There should have also being a realistic timescale given but that is my fault for not asking. I was not very snotty. I made a mistake saying I was not interested and a timeframe should have been given but should have asked for feedback instead.

I have this evening apologized and asked for feedback etc. If I get it great, if not I won't do what I did again. Yes I have started the other role. It is going fine so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

One job I got took 9 months to get back to me after interview.

beauf wrote: »

9 months???? Seems far too long. How come?

• Advertisement

Some places are slow. They had a medical after that and got a final ok about a month maybe more later.

When I was contacting I would do a bunch of interviews and Id forget about them all unless I got called back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

beauf wrote:

When I was in the private sector it was often 3-6months from beginning to end of recruitment process. 9momths is a little extreme but not unknown. Things happen during the process to delay it.

The OP behaved very rashly IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Paulyman wrote: »
    9 months???? Seems far too long. How come?

Quite possible somebody else got offered the position and started and then it didn't work out I imagine?

Quite possible somebody else got offered the position and started and then it didn't work out I imagine?

No just slow. Other colleagues had the same experience.

Just an update. I apologized to the company in question. They were good enough to give me feedback and said that I would not have gone forward to the next round. I have learned my lesson and am moving forward.

I can do my current job which is within the account payable department. It is however not for me. It is very routine and I am getting little satisfaction from going in each day. My mistake for accepting it. Some promises set out such as getting training abroad have been put on the back burner.

I have 2 interviews coming up during the next week and a half plus I have some well paid work I do on the side. I am lucky therefore to not have any financial pressures at the moment. I am therefore thinking of leaving after I month. I feel if the work is not for me then it is best been honest about it rather then having it on my CV.

Has anybody had a similar experience? Thanks for any feedback.

Advertisement