Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Place for Wild Mussels

Options
  • 14-08-2018 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hey All,

I am staying in a self-catering place nearby Croagh Patrick in Mayo for a weekend. And I wonder if it is possible to find some wild mussels in the area? Nothing would be better than few mussels cooked in wine in the evening..

Thank you for any input
    D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I’m not familiar with the area but I am familiar with this saying. Only collect mussels in a month with an r so August isn’t recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Da11

Auldloon wrote: »
    I’m not familiar with the area but I am familiar with this saying. Only collect mussels in a month with an r so August isn’t recommended.

Thank you! It's nearly a last week of 4 months that are no go for mussels, I could be ok?...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

i wouldnt personally collect wild mussels without really knowing what I was doing.

They are bivalves, filter feeders and in the wrong area they can collect and accumulate a lot of bacteria and toxins. Some of which arent removed by cooking. I dont risk mussels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

I'd say there's someone up there offering foraging tours who could probably advise. There's a restaurant up there called the idle wall I think and I remember there were wild mussels on the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭capnsparkles

Current issue with mussels in Killary , would be very cautious.

• Advertisement
Advertisement