Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl drill return.

Options
  • 14-08-2018 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I bought a cordless drill in my local Lidl store in march 2017,it hasn't had heavy usage,but today when I tried to use it the chuck is spinning but it won't release the drill bit I have in it,i'd like to return it but don't know the right way to do it. do I take it back to the store I bought it as I still have the receipt? or do I have to contact a customer care department?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

Take it back to the store where you bought it with the receipt, don't listen to any BS about "having to go back to the manufacturer", you are entitled to a replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 30,596 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I know somebody who had an issue with Lidl products on two different occasions.
    Both times the product was purchased more than thirty days.
    The store told them to contact customer care. They then arangened for a new item to be delivered to them via courier. On one occasion they also arrsngened for the collection of the faulty product the second time they didn't.

Assuming you did not damage the item yourself or use it in appropriately then your contract is with the store where you bought it unless you were advised otherwise by the guarantee, bring it back and ask for either a replacement or a refund, let the store deal with whatever internal procedures they have e.g. customer care etc. that it not your concern

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭glaswegian

Stanford wrote: »
    Assuming you did not damage the item yourself or use it in appropriately then your contract is with the store where you bought it unless you were advised otherwise by the guarantee, bring it back and ask for either a replacement or a refund, let the store deal with whatever internal procedures they have e.g. customer care etc. that it not your concern

cheers,the drill has never had heavy usage,the chuck just wont release, do the Lidl staff try and make returning faulty goods difficult to put people off?

Apologies but I've just noticed that you bought the item in March 2017 and have had the use of it for almost a year and a half which makes your case more problematic, a return at this stage might be difficult to achieve but I would try it anyway, LIDL staff don't deliberately make the return of goods any difficult than others, they will just return it to the manufacturer, you may get a repair tho.

• Advertisement

isn't there a three year warranty with electrical goods like drills,and other DIY goods?

glaswegian wrote: »
    cheers,the drill has never had heavy usage,the chuck just wont release, do the Lidl staff try and make returning faulty goods difficult to put people off?

In my experience no. They are very good in store in my experience.
    When the person I know dealt with customer care. It took a phone call, an email of the receipt and the drill was sent out within a few days.

isn't there a three year warranty with electrical goods like drills,and other DIY goods?

Lidl is generally three years.
    I even know people who returned good to Lidl which they broke themselves with no issue.

Not necessarily, most shop warranties are 12 months and some times the manufacturer will offer 3 years if the item is registered with them on purchase

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

All this 12 month/3 year warranty talk is irrelevant.

OP, you have purchased a product that must fulfill it's expectations as laid out in the Sales of Goods act.
    A drill that packs in after this amount of time is not of reasonable quality IMHO.

As others have said, back to store, not a care help line or manufacturer, refund/repair/replacement - whichever of those three ye agree on.

Talk with firmness, don't take any BS

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Just to note the main reason why I said to contact the care helpline is I found you get faster results than dealing with the store it's self especially when the product isn't in stock.

slave1 wrote: »
    All this 12 month/3 year warranty talk is irrelevant.

OP, you have purchased a product that must fulfill it's expectations as laid out in the Sales of Goods act.
    A drill that packs in after this amount of time is not of reasonable quality IMHO.

As others have said, back to store, not a care help line or manufacturer, refund/repair/replacement - whichever of those three ye agree on.

Talk with firmness, don't take any BS

cheers,have you had cause to return goods yourself before?how did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

First port of call after this amount of time is to phone them
    1800 20 10 80

Will need the reference for the item off the receipt

Don't just turn up in the shop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

My experience recently was with a kettle that leaked after 6 months, brought it back to store with receipt, they were quite helpful and phoned manufacturer for me..who took my name address and phone number and receipt details.

A few days later got phone call back from them asking for serial number on item and to double check my address ...4 days later courier arrived with replacement item.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rock22

Hi all, I bought a cordless drill in my local Lidl store in march 2017,it hasn't had heavy usage,but today when I tried to use it the chuck is spinning but it won't release the drill bit I have in it,i'd like to return it but don't know the right way to do it. do I take it back to the store I bought it as I still have the receipt? or do I have to contact a customer care department?

thanks.

Was the bit left in the chuck for some time?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,014 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Stanford wrote: »
    Take it back to the store where you bought it with the receipt, don't listen to any BS about "having to go back to the manufacturer", you are entitled to a replacement

The care line number will get that replacement a day or two faster. The shop is more likely to refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Have you given it a spray of wd40 and a bit of a knock? The chuck might just be sticking from infrequent use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Have you given it a spray of wd40 and a bit of a knock? The chuck might just be sticking from infrequent use.

Exactly. I've had this happen with an expensive drill and a cheap bit which has been left in it for months. Bit sticks to inside of chuck, wd40 and a pliers to remove the bit, then clean the chuck.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

cheers,have you had cause to return goods yourself before?how did you get on?

Yep, a number of times and all well outside shop "warranties", three times on more expensive products I had to take Lidl and Dell to the Small Claims Court and I won full refund on every occasion, a freezer that packed in after 2.5yrs (told me nothing they could do, they don't sell it anymore and I should deal with manufacturer) and a monitor that I can't honestly remember exactly what the issue is after 2years where Dell just ignored my emails.
    You pay good money for whatever you buy, you should get what you paid for, just because it's more than a year later does not mean you have no rights.
    The sticky here is perfect guidance...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Thanks all,the bit was only put into the chuck an hour or so before I tried to remove it,tried Wd40 but no go,the chuck spins alright but when it meets any resistance from a screw it just makes a ratchety sound and won’t drive the screw any further.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Thanks all,the bit was only put into the chuck an hour or so before I tried to remove it,tried Wd40 but no go,the chuck spins alright but when it meets any resistance from a screw it just makes a ratchety sound and won’t drive the screw any further.

You know the drill probably has a built in clutch that is supposed to work like that if you don't turn it up to the max setting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Stanford wrote:

Nope, thats weong.
    Lidl do not keep these items in store. Read the manual you got with the drill.

There will be a contact number for customer care, call them and your situatuon will be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I doubt very much they will take it back unless there's a 2 year warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 69,014 ✭✭✭✭L1011

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I doubt very much they will take it back unless there's a 2 year warranty

Pretty much all Lidl electronics have 2 or 3 year warranties. Usually refunded in store or replacement / replacement parts from a helpline

Path of least resistance is easier normally - helpline if you want it fixed

Hi all,thanks again for your time and your input.
    I have the problem solved now and it’s quite embarrassing, seems I had the drill on the lowest setting and that was why there wasn’t enough power to release the chuck,but at least I know now what to do if I ever have a faulty item to return.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Stanford wrote:

Or a repair

Advertisement