Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F off Brown Thomas

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Aegir wrote: »
    Christmas decorations? The schools haven’t gone back yet.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/2978945/brown-thomas-christmas-trees-shops/

Just designed to get attention and it worked.

I really wish they didnt skip Halloween and turned that into a bigger celebration.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,428 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

People should be well used to it now.

This is not the first time Brown Thomas has rolled Christmas out early with the luxury retailer unveiling their Christmas Shop in the middle of August annually.

Last year, Brown Thomas Managing Director, Stephen Sealey explained that some customers love the chance to stock up months in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all here at AH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Same every year with BT and someone always starts a thread about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Brown Thomas is a cancer on humanity :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I can't wait to visit the store :D Merry Christmas!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

The Sun?

Yeah, that's a no from me dawg.

Only 132 days until Christmas though! Better get shopping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

132 more sleeps ‘til Xmas!

verycool wrote: »
    The Sun?

Yeah, that's a no from me dawg.

Only 132 days until Christmas though! Better get shopping.

Does your dog take the Irish Times.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/brown-thomas-prepares-for-christmas-with-127-days-to-go-1.2320231

I'd eat a rake of mince pies right now in fairness.

Would love a ham, turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce sambo.

Mmmmmmm.

Anything to get my mind off this closeness. It's FIERCE close! Too close. When will it break?

• Advertisement

Its Hilary Weston's shop, and there are year-round Christmas shops in Canada. This is where that idea is coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Only 150 sleeps till Christmas. Maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭DonalK1981

People should be well used to it now.  

This is not the first time Brown Thomas has rolled Christmas out early with the luxury retailer unveiling their Christmas Shop in the middle of August annually.

Last year, Brown Thomas Managing Director, Stephen Sealey explained that some customers love the chance to stock up months in advance.
    Tell Stephen Sealey the only time it is worth doing early is when everything is on clearance sale in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

mad muffin wrote: »
    Brown Thomas is a cancer on humanity :mad:

As is Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Its Hilary Weston's shop, and there are year-round Christmas shops in Canada. This is where that idea is coming from.

There's two in Edinburgh no idea how they get through most of the year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Whoop! Whoop! Should be all year round. Had a fab time visiting “The Christmas Loft” in U.S.A this Summer and one of the co- owners is Irish!
    https://christmasloft.com/

Thanks for the heads up Ageir 🎄🎄🎄

Only 150 sleeps till Christmas. Maybe.

If you're an insomniac, it is only about 10.

If you're an insomniac, it is only about 10.

"I haven't slept for ten days, cos that would be too long." - Mitch Hedberg.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Oh hai everyone! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

This isn't new they've being doing this since about 2011 at least.
    I'd say they started copying Selfridges in the UK which can start selling stuff in July.
    From speaking to people who work in that area and my little experience in hotels you only do things that make you money.
    Our shops have changed so much in the past few decades. Just look at Brown Thomas's over heads, location, rates, staff, etc. They have massive costs. Every scrap of floor space has to be used to it's best potential.
    Some people say oh put out the Halloween stuff first. This isn't the market fBrown Thomas goes for also if they did cater for it would they sell much or make a loss
    I am late twenties now and their was very little Halloween decorations when I was growing up. Now they are mainly stuff bought cheaply in € shops and Lidl/Aldi/etc not things to Brown Thomas standards. You'd see the odd Halloween decoration on Carraig Donn but they are expensive and don't seem to sell.
    Yes, I know the kids aren't back at school. All you can really do about this is avoid Brown Thomas and other places. Kids will be demanding no matter what we do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Would love a ham, turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce sambo.

Mmmmmmm.

Anything to get my mind off this closeness. It's FIERCE close! Too close. When will it break?

It must be very warm in the kitchen when you were stuffing the bird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all here at AH!

Happy Christmas to you too.

"Oh Holy Night , the stars are brightly shining....."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    132 more sleeps ‘til Xmas!
    unless of course you are an insominac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Last year, Brown Thomas Managing Director, Stephen Sealey explained that some customers love the chance to stock up months in advance.[/I]

Those budget conscious Brown Thomas shoppers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Don't blame The shop. If the demand wasn't there they wouldn't sell the stuff. Blame the sheep for buying it. Probably the same people who are so time poor they have to skip half their meals, do the make up while they drive and can't go 5 mins without checking the phone yet have the foresight and planning to get ready for Christmas in August.

131 days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

To be honest, I am more offended that its a link to an article in The S*n, and more click bait for them and their rag.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    To be honest, I am more offended that its a link to an article in The S*n, and more click bait for them and their rag.

"I'm not offended OP, just disappointed." :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I'd devour them anytime. Mince pies are the food of the gods:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

wat

Elementary my dear
    wat
    son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Switzers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

131 days!

So only 141 then to a nadir of black depression going back to work on a January Monday morning with the rain sweeping sideways from a leaden sky with nothing to look forward to for the next month but putting away decorations, paying bills, flicking through channels, and emptying biscuit tins into the recycling?

Counting them down baby, counting them down!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Maybe they are the Christmas Decorations for 2019.

topper75 wrote: »
    So only 141 then to a nadir of black depression going back to work on a January Monday morning with the rain sweeping sideways from a leaden sky with nothing to look forward to for the next month but putting away decorations, paying bills, flicking through channels, and emptying biscuit tins into the recycling?

Counting them down baby, counting them down!

That's the spirit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

It's literally the same week every year. It's designed to get consumers into the frame of mind for Autumn/Winter shopping. They don't actually expect people to start Xmas shopping, although plenty do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

'Christmas' in August can fvck right off.

Wouldn't darken their doors on account of that stunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I’m pretty sure that I heard somewhere that they do it for sick kids who might not see Xmas, they bring in Santa for them.

• Site Banned Posts: 24 Cilantro2000

Well it is Autumn now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

The biggest load of bollox since they want to bleed as much cash out of you as the can for the Christmas season

Yet when it.comes down to it, they open again at 6am in 26th, ruining Christmas for many of the staff

You'd think after 133 days of putting up with Christmas retail they could close for just 2 days and have all the sales they want online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Switzers.

Best in-store Santy ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I’m pretty sure that I heard somewhere that they do it for sick kids who might not see Xmas, they bring in Santa for them.

Aye - but those kids won't see any glorious summer sun in 2019 either so maybe a display with suntan lotion, beachballs, and bucket and spades is only right for balance sake. Have a heart BT - give them that one day at the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

Switzers.

Switzers Cash's Moons and Todd's. Remember the ad. That's going back a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Switzers.

I remember being brought into Switzers to see Santa as a kid. I think my mum still has pictures of me with Santa a few different years in there!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The biggest load of bollox since they want to bleed as much cash out of you as the can for the Christmas season

Yet when it.comes down to it, they open again at 6am in 26th, ruining Christmas for many of the staff

You'd think after 133 days of putting up with Christmas retail they could close for just 2 days and have all the sales they want online

Completely Agree with this. I miss the days the shops closed for Christmas Day and St Stephens Day. They beat feeling about those days is the calm in the air like the whole world is taking a break.

Except now people are leaving to go queue at 4am for a sale which is no different than any other sale throughout the year!

Loughc wrote: »
    Completely Agree with this. I miss the days the shops closed for Christmas Day and St Stephens Day. They beat feeling about those days is the calm in the air like the whole world is taking a break.

Except now people are leaving to go queue at 4am for a sale which is no different than any other sale throughout the year!

yeah i couldn't be doing with that all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Those trees are probably for xmas 2022

Advertisement