Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Arrears

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Only for rented places. It would push non rented places even higher. Which seems to the only consistent in Govt in policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Browney7 wrote: »
    Separate point, who is she paying rent to? If it's directly to your brother's bank account there are non resident tax issues to consider. If you are collecting and acting as an agent it would be different.

Yeah and then the tax issues become Farmer Blee's.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

FarmerBlee wrote: »
    Oh my Lord, our case seems mild in comparison. We're down 3K and hopefully in the process of being paid back. We'll still pursue this going down the right avenues. I just want to be as certain of ours and the tenants rights as possible.

At the last inspection last April, the house seemed to be pretty clean. The garden isn't being looked after though. All overgrowing and unkempt. House itself seemed clean, few damp patches and the walls need to be painted, but nothing major. I hope.

I just can't believe that things could escalate to the point where a tenant can stay in a house owing 15k and more. And the LL ends up down thousands at the end of the day. There's no fairness. Things need to change or LL's will be leaving the market in their droves.

If there are damp patches it means the windows are not opened daily especially when cooking or drying clothes also no heating on. Also vents filled with socks.
    Make sure you increase your number of inspections and make sure you report it and tell her in writing about the mold. One tenant I had I did an inspection every 6months but when she left there were black spots on the bedroom ceilings and when I did the last inspection I decided to check the windows and I could not open then. Never opened in years. Wd40 got the windows open. So just check this.

Also check what was agreed about having the garden in order as a few years ago it was the landlords responsibility to keep the outside in order. If she has a lawn mower for her to use then tell her the garden has to be kept in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Here's a crazy idea, but did you ask her what happened? Was her RA cut off? And in the three years, she was your brother's tenant, did she miss her rent at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 FarmerBlee

tvjunki wrote: »

Also check what was agreed about having the garden in order as a few years ago it was the landlords responsibility to keep the outside in order. If she has a lawn mower for her to use then tell her the garden has to be kept in order.

She has a lawn mower and in fact has kept the lawn mowed. More the rest of the garden hasn't been looked after, plants not watered and completely dead, hedges crazy overgrown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 FarmerBlee

Lux23 wrote: »
    Here's a crazy idea, but did you ask her what happened? Was her RA cut off? And in the three years, she was your brother's tenant, did she miss her rent at all?

We did ask her what happened.

She has missed rent sporadically over the years, but always managed to make it up. We chased her once or twice, but for the most part let it slide as the house was mostly well looked after.

She had a fulltime job and I believe was reasonably well paid. Then due to an illness for herself and her child, she couldn't work any more and had to go on social welfare. This was her story anyway. I don't know how much to believe.

She wasn't an RA tenant at the start of her tenancy, only became so some months ago.

While we're sorry for her troubles, my brother can't make them his troubles too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

So what happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Lux23 wrote: »
    So what happened?

It doesn’t matter what happened. Rent is in arrears and that is what matters to the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Doesn't matter what her issues are in not getting rent to the landlord. Rent allowance is paid directly to the tenant, what the tenant does with the rent allowance before it gets to the landlord is where the issue lies in many cases.
    A landlord knows if the tenant is in receipt of RA as landlord has to sign a form.
    It's wrong in so many ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Used to be it could get paid direct to LL. They stopped that. The only person out of pocket is the landlord. Who is paid a month in arrears. Again the only person effected by that is the landlord.

Well genuine tenants are also effected as it puts lls off the scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Little Miss Fun

Rent allowance can be paid directly to the landlord. The tenant pays their portion separately. The HAP scheme is a totally different set up ...which I will avoid if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

FarmerBlee wrote: »
    She has a lawn mower and in fact has kept the lawn mowed. More the rest of the garden hasn't been looked after, plants not watered and completely dead, hedges crazy overgrown.

If she has not got sheers to cut hedging or is not strong enough the you will have to either do it yourself or pay someone. Personally I would do that myself so I know the hedges are cut right..you should see my neighbours hedge..he has not got a clue and it is in bits. Should only take a few hours.

Water restrictions are still in place so maybe she is adhering to the law. Plants will come back after the rain we have had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Rent allowance can be paid directly to the landlord. The tenant pays their portion separately. The HAP scheme is a totally different set up ...which I will avoid if possible.

Rent supplement is paid to the landlord, rent allowance (where someone started a lease during employment and now unemployed and most of the rent is paid by the SW until the end of the lease).

Advertisement