Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving new job for other job?

Options
  • 14-08-2018 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice here. I am having a bit of a moral dilemma. I'm not a regular user of beaords but I need advice.

So I just started a new office based job 3 weeks ago. I recently finished college, although Im 29, and this is the first job I've had related to it. Before I started the job I had never done much office type work because I prefer jobs that are more physically active. I like to be busy and not sit down in front of a computer for too long. Right before I started this job a similar position came up in a charity which has always been my dream to work for.

I applied for the charity job and got invited to interview, I had to tell my current job I had a previously booked appointment. I have since been offered the position. I informed them I need some time to think about the offer and I will let them know my answer in the next day or two.

I don't know what to do. I'm 29 and I don't want to waste time in a job but I'm stuck.

I feel like a terrible person at the through of leaving a job I just started after they have done so much training with me and setting up my position within the company. They sent out a statement to all the other business which the company liaise with informing them of my new position. I tell myself the job will serve me well in the future and will improve my skills and confidence in certain areas.
    But then I think of the charity job. It is my ultimate career goal to work for them anyway and the jobs are very rare. The job is also more of an active role and not based in the office as much, however this would also not allow me to develop my skills as much as my current job in certain areas.

Basically I feel like a terrible person at the though of letting these people down and I dont know what to do. In the future, if I leave for the charity job now, there may be times when our paths will cross and I would hate to have left a negative opionin of me behind that would affect my future.

So what Im asking is do you think I should just bite the bullet and leave or wait it out, gain more experience and hope a job comes up in the charity in the next few years.

Advertisement