Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it ok to prune an apple tree now?

Options
  • 14-08-2018 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

folks,

Is it ok to do a crown cleanup of an apple tree at the moment ?

I thought it was a terrible time of year - but I was told its fine ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i went medieval on an ailing flowering cherry yesterday - basically pollarded it. however, cherries are best pruned at an odd time of the year, it's less susceptible to one or two known diseases.
    however, i don't think that applies to apple trees - but it seems the worst time to prune them (after a quick google) is the autumn - you can get away with pruning in the summer if needs must. however, i think winter is the best time unless there's something forcing your hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Why not wait for winter?

You can see what you're doing when it's naked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭standardg60

Lumen wrote: »
    Why not wait for winter?

You can see what you're doing when it's naked.

Especially when the light's on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

One of the presenters on BBCs Gardeners World (probably Monty Don but I can't remember) says to prune mature apple and pear trees in summer to encourage more fruit the following year and to prune younger trees in winter to encourage growth.

Cherries and plums should only be pruned when they are in active growth (summer time) or else they run the risk of picking up diseases. I have a very large cherry tree that has never fruited and is now shading other things so it has a date with a chain saw. Sad, but I was probably being too optimistic all of those years ago.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭standardg60

lottpaul wrote: »
    One of the presenters on BBCs Gardeners World (probably Monty Don but I can't remember) says to prune mature apple and pear trees in summer to encourage more fruit the following year and to prune younger trees in winter to encourage growth.

Cherries and plums should only be pruned when they are in active growth (summer time) or else they run the risk of picking up diseases. I have a very large cherry tree that has never fruited and is now shading other things so it has a date with a chain saw. Sad, but I was probably being too optimistic all of those years ago.... :)

Yeah it was Monty, but pruning this years growth back to spurs to encourage next years fruiting is completely different to a crown clean up where you may be removing large boughs.

Op I would also wait til winter so you can see what you're doing/no sap rising but if it needs to be done now and you know what you're doing it shouldn't be detrimental to the tree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭looksee

'went medieval' - that's a new one to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Feckin crows are in the process of pruning mine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

CJhaughey wrote: »
    heh, i think that's precisely where i got the usage.

Advertisement