Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Visting the Gaeltachts

• 14-08-2018 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I've always wanted to travel to the Gaeltachta in this country. I have a good(not perfect) level of Irish. I'm studying it in UL and now I really want to improve it. Which Gaeltachts have the most widely spoken Irish? I was in Dingle on holidays last year for a week and heard no Irish. Also, which ones have ye had the best experiences in? It's awful not having a Gaeltacht in Limerick.
    Thanks for any suggestions given.
    Luimneach abú.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Connemara I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Ballyvourney in Cork where they speak a mix of Irish and English. I'd imagine most can speak fluently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

I've always wanted to travel to the Gaeltachta in this country. I have a good(not perfect) level of Irish. I'm studying it in UL and now I really want to improve it. Which Gaeltachts have the most widely spoken Irish? I was in Dingle on holidays last year for a week and heard no Irish. Also, which ones have ye had the best experiences in? It's awful not having a Gaeltacht in Limerick.
    Thanks for any suggestions given.
    Luimneach abú.

You mean like the rest of the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

You mean like the rest of the country?

Dingle is supposedly a Gaeltacht, brainiac.

Dingle is supposedly a Gaeltacht, brainiac.

And hows that going for you?

Plenty of irish being spoken down there I hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Which dialect do you speak? You'd be best visiting a area which speaks that one ...

Which dialect do you speak? You'd be best visiting a area which speaks that one ...

english

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Ring in Waterford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

english

Do you have a problem about a person being interested in the Irish language and trying to find out where he should best go to improve his command of it?

feargale wrote: »
    Do you have a problem about a person being interested in the Irish language and trying to find out where he should best go to improve his command of it?

I have no problem with anyone else learning a dead language that nobody speaks in public and hasnt done in any meaningful way in my lifetime.

• Advertisement

And hows that going for you?

Plenty of irish being spoken down there I hear.

Er, it’s not going for me. I was explaining your mistake.

I have no problem with anyone else learning a dead language that nobody speaks in public and hasnt done in any meaningful way in my lifetime.

This might not be the thread for you, then.

Er, it’s not going for me. I was explaining your mistake.

Ok, so I've been speaking English to myself for the last 40 years. My bad.

I've never had an Irish conversation in my life but apparently I've been living a parallel universe.

This might not be the thread for you, then.

Oh no. I think it is.

I want to hear all about the widespread conversations that you've all been having with each other through the glorious dead language of Irish.

I'll just remove my head from my English speaking arse over here.

Ok, so I've been speaking English to myself for the last 40 years. My bad.

I've never had an Irish conversation in my life but apparently I've been living a parallel universe.
    Oh no. I think it is.

I want to hear all about the widespread conversations that you've all been having with each other through the glorious dead language of Irish.

Have a ****.

I've always wanted to travel to the Gaeltachta in this country. Luimneach abú.

I haven't been in Dingle for years. When I was there there was a little to be heard in the town. You would probably hear more west of Dingle.
    You will hear little anywhere in the tourist season. Ring is better out of season.
    As for Cork, I have been in Ballyvourney and Cape Clear and wouldn't have known I was in a Gaeltacht.
    The best in my experience were the Aran Islands, especially Inishmaan.
    I know little or nothing of Donegal.

Oh no. I think it is.

I don’t speak Irish at all. This thread is a guy asking questions about the best Gaeltacht for him. So, not a thread therefore for pathological haters of a minority language.

There are places you might feel comfortable though, the orange order I’m told do a nice cup of tea.

feargale wrote: »
    I haven't been in Dingle for years. When I was there there was a little to be heard in the town. You would probably hear more west of Dingle.
    You will hear little anywhere in the tourist season. Ring is better out of season.
    As for Cork, I have been in Ballyvourney and Cape Clear and wouldn't have known I was in a Gaeltacht.
    The best in my experience were the Aran Islands, especially Inishmaan.
    I know little or nothing of Donegal.

I definite just heard Irish a few years ago in Dingle, but there are dozens of languages spoken in Dingle in any one day.

Have a ****.

Perhaps I'll crack one off in Irish.

Oh wait. I dont know what **** is in irish.

Just watch Ros na Run and the rest will follow.

• Advertisement

It seems OP cannot make a simple enquiry without being barracked and ballyragged.
    Before you come in here to use your profound ignorance of language to project your bigoted trolling you should google to learn the difference between languages that are threatened, endangered, moribund, dead, extinct and revived. But I guess one needs a brain for that. It's easier to throw out mindless, cornerboy yobbish jibes that have no basis in education, such of it as you have or not. There is nothing as pathetic as a yob who is convinced that he is smarter than the rest of the world. Some day when you are out of short pants you will come to realise that you have alot to learn. Now, off you go, Mr. Ross O'Carroll-Kelly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

It is the same, except it has a fada over the a.

Tàim ag wànk...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Was in dingle last year found that out in Baile an Fheirtéaraigh especially I could hear Irish being spoken. That said everywhere I went if I spoke Irish on dingle peninsula I was responded to in Irish
    I speak it on a daily basis and regularly do business in Connemara. Different dialects are no harm to hear and work with no different to different regions of France or Spain and their accents on their language. OP I'd go to which ever is closest and enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭boardise

I think any Irish person is entitled to express reservations about the way Gaelic is dealt with in society without being subjected to vituperation and abuse. Such phrases as 'hating a language ' are intrinsically ridiculous.
    I hold degrees in Gaelic and have a high level of knowledge of all phases of the language back to Sean-Ghaeilge-from the study of which I have indeed derived much profit and pleasure. That is entirely an academic pursuit.
    Having thought about it over many decades ,I have concluded that the whole Gaelic Revival' policy is a total nonsense -
    an exercise in pointlessness and futility which generates a mountain of puzzlement and frustration as well as an enormous waste of money.
    It is a great pity that any discussions about Gaelic quickly degenerate into inflamed bouts of insults and name-calling and that people cannot maintain a sense of calm and reason to try to clarify and apprehend better a complex situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

You keep believing this if it makes you happy. Your username is fitting.
    I know Russians, French, Americans and even people from Africa, with a decent command of the Irish language.
    Also they speak it regularly in public.
    Maybe you would like to meet them?
    They are definitely not dead...

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

OP alternative to visiting the gaeltacht is to find a local 'ciorcal comhra' local to you, they usually cater to all levels.

boardise wrote: »
    I have concluded that the whole Gaelic Revival' policy is a total nonsense

I can never fully understand how Hungary succeeded where Ireland failed.
    It must be because of population size?
    Or is it historical factors like how Irish was viewed as backward?
    One of my Great-Grandfathers had no English!
    It is kind of sad how a language can be systematically attacked, first by foreign powers then attacked by societal pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭mazwell

I speak it. My family speak it. And everyone in my area speaks it.
    Come to west Donegal op. I suspect well have a different dialect to yours but we'll help you out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

No one cares about your dialect. Just use some Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭mazwell

No one cares about your dialect. Just use some Irish.

You'd be wrong there. Speaking as a native speaker of Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

It depends on what dialect you speak first. There are some strong gaeltachtaí and some weak ones. Gaoth Dobhair/The Rosses are really strong up in Donegal. Galway Gaeltacht is also strong - Ceathrú Rua/Leitir Mór or head out to the Aran Islands. I've over spent a day in the Cork Gaeltacht, so I can't speak much on it. I'm from Waterford, and have visited An Rinn loads. While I wouldn't say it's the strongest gaeltacht, Irish is definitely spoken there. Sometimes people will speak English to you, but if you switch it to Irish they'll speak back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I definite just heard Irish a few years ago in Dingle, but there are dozens of languages spoken in Dingle in any one day.

Try Sunday Mass in Ballydavid in DIngle... and afterwards... I spent a while woth young families, little ones being raised bi-lingual.

Here the ferryman is totally bi-lingual but would not dream of speaking Iirsh around someone who did not.I was on the ferry once with an official from the Islands council and pure Irish echoed...

West Mayo; offshore island... last week when I was out I met someone who wanted to hear Irish spoken ... directed him here. pm me of you need details...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭benneca1

Dave0301 wrote: »

Tàim ag wànk...

Ag ****áil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They only speak it to get the free money and grants.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ag glacaireacht if you're interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

They only speak it to get the free money and grants.

actually the reverse is true. that is why many rural irish speak engiish ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Reati

I can never fully understand how Hungary succeeded where Ireland failed.
    It must be because of population size?
    Or is it historical factors like how Irish was viewed as backward?
    One of my Great-Grandfathers had no English!
    It is kind of sad how a language can be systematically attacked, first by foreign powers then attacked by societal pressure.

It requires a stronger will than partial classical language education and learning of poems. For example if all schools were thought 50 50 through Irish and English, if RTÉ had more either Irish language shows with English subs or vice versa. This is something Iceland has and many of them speak fluent English, with an American twang.

Immersion is the lacking factor. Irish could be a daily spoken language within 2 decades by a majority of the younger population if the right will and weight was thrown behind it. It's again not a priority for the government and attempts to push its priority up is met with mindless aggressive commentary about dead languages and a waste. Its almost like the brits embedded the concept that its a language of the poor and peasant class deep in the Irish psyche.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Dave0301 wrote: »

Tàim ag wànk...
    benneca1 wrote: »
    Ag ****áil

Pure ignorance.

There's no 'W' in Irish. It's 'bhank'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod: That's nice. So how about you let everyone who wants to discuss the topic at hand do so without your moaning?

Don't post in this thread again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP, Connemara is probably your best bet.
    I see you also posted in Teach na nGealt.
    Probably best as the usual anti-Irish crowd cannot read what goes on there, win-win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

elefant wrote: »
    Pure ignorance.

Ag fail taitneamh as me fein

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Ag ****áil

Good stuff - you were clearly listening in school that day. :D That other lad there was typing Scots Gaelic or something.

People referred to dialects. Not relevant. We who learned Irish in school as monoglot English speakers learned school Irish, a fake made up 'standard' that wasn't spoken anywhere any more than Esperanto was. That is why you don't always get the TG4/RnaG people when they are off at 100mph.
    Therefore, with regard to engaging with a real spoken version of the language - pick any dialect or Gaeltacht that you like.

I have encountered similar disappointment in the Kerry Gaeltachts OP. A place that never let me down is Carna in Connemara. Bíonn sí á labhairt ansin fós gach lá den bliain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭benneca1

elefant wrote: »
    Pure ignorance.

Joke Ha Ha correcting the grammar in a make up word and you thought it was a serious grammar lesson

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Joke Ha Ha correcting the grammar in a make up word and you thought it was a serious grammar lesson

Sadly, whatever about jokingly correcting Irish grammar on the topic of masturbation, I don't know where to start with your English. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

I think Connemara is your best bet. Most people are happy to speak it but watch out for the snobby Gaelgoirs that will sneer at your attempts.

You will see Gaelteacht signs around places like Claregalway and Moycullen but it's a scam; there are very few Irish speakers around those places - you need to go to Spiddal and west of Spiddal to find the real native speakers. Inveran, Carna, Rosmuc, Lettermore, Costelloe would be good.

I personally have no issue with people wanting to learn Irish but I do see a huge amount of money wasted to keep the language anyway relevant.

I think Connemara is your best bet. Most people are happy to speak it but watch out for the snobby Gaelgoirs that will sneer at your attempts.

You will see Gaelteacht signs around places like Claregalway and Moycullen but it's a scam; there are very few Irish speakers around those places - you need to go to Spiddal and west of Spiddal to find the real native speakers.

I personally have no issue with people wanting to learn Irish but I do see a huge amount of money wasted to keep the language anyway relevant.

Money that could be spent on teaching kids subjects relevant to 21st century living.

Mod: That's nice. So how about you let everyone who wants to discuss the topic at hand do so without your moaning?

Don't post in this thread again.

Perhaps you'll discuss it in Irish. Oh wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You will see Gaelteacht signs around places like Claregalway and Moycullen but it's a scam; there are very few Irish speakers around those places - you need to go to Spiddal and west of Spiddal to find the real native speakers. Inveran, Carna, Rosmuc, Lettermore, Costelloe would be good.

The removal of bilingual signs and installation of Irish-only ones was money p*ssed down the drain for no good reason.

Money that could be spent on teaching kids subjects relevant to 21st century living.

Totally agree, there are so many subjects that should be ahead of Irish and especially Religion for young people. They are really suffering in the modern world for lack of guidance and information. Subjects like;
    • Mental Health and Depression
    • Drugs and Impacts
    • Sex Education
    • Social Media - threats and impacts
    • Physical Education and Nutrition
    • Bullying (schools improving here)
    • IT skills
    • Career Guidance

The schools pay lip service to above while prioritizing useless stuff.

The removal of bilingual signs and installation of Irish-only ones was money p*ssed down the drain for no good reason.

Correct I saw that all over Galway. They removed perfect good bilingual signs to replace them with Irish only equivalents.

For example, I used to pass a relatively new road sign saying;

Barna
    Bearna

which was replaced with a brand new one saying just;

Bearna

Utterly stupid, completely wasteful, arrogant.

The Irish lobby is powerful though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement