Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Female sexual harassers and double standards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

In spite of all the benefits that women have in Western countries (legal/social), in addition to living longer, and generally avoiding the more dangerous jobs in society, there always needs to be more done to help women... and very little for men.
    Very little for men... because men’s rights lobby groups are the poor relation of women’s rights groups. They’re not even in the same league.

I don't hold it the fringe ones against the whole spectrum of feminists. I admire their success in changing society over the last century. I just wish men were as active.

Infrablue wrote: »
    An example of a feminist campaigning for women to lose an unfair advantage.
    I support regiging the family court system to make it fair. I’d put that under the banner of men’s rights but it’s the same effect.

I’m feminist and I support reworking the family court system to give men lore rights at the expense of women’s rights. The goal would be to have a more equal family court system.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

"spaniel cock-er" :confused::pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I support regiging the family court system to make it fair. I’d put that under the banner of men’s rights but it’s the same effect.

I’m feminist and I support reworking the family court system to give men lore rights at the expense of women’s rights. The goal would be to have a more equal family court system.

I'm a feminist and I support this too, I believe society can only benefit from fathers (married or not) having equal rights of access to their children.

As for campaigning for it, I've done a google search, and found 2 groups Fathers rights Ireland and irishdads.ie. Both seem to offer a lot of advice on what to do in situations where children are being kept from their fathers, but there does not seem to be a whole lot in terms of actual activism.

I find this endlessly frustrating tbh because as a feminist day after day I read crap online about how feminists are xy and z, the cause of the worlds problems with their blasted campaigning for womens rights, if they were interested in equality they'd do blah blah blah, but not a word said about the mens groups who aren't organising marches, or flyers, or using #campaigns.

When women as a group wanted to achieve political advancement for themselves and other women, they had to put on their big girl pants and go out and fight for it. If men want to achieve advancement they're going to have to fight for it, there's already a template for how to do it, women have done it, gay people have done it, black people have done it. It's literally a case of just copying it. If your point is reasonable and rational like for example "I want the right to be part of my childs life" people en masse will support it, but you have to actually get out and say it, and make the statement, and start a movement nothing will be achieved by getting online complaining that if feminists really cared they'd do it for you.

I'm a feminist and I support this too, I believe society can only benefit from fathers (married or not) having equal rights of access to their children. [...]

I find this endlessly frustrating tbh because as a feminist day after day I read crap online about how feminists are xy and z, the cause of the worlds problems with their blasted campaigning for womens rights, if they were interested in equality they'd do blah blah blah, but not a word said about the mens groups who aren't organising marches, or flyers, or using #campaigns.

When women as a group wanted to achieve political advancement for themselves and other women, they had to put on their big girl pants and go out and fight for it. If men want to achieve advancement they're going to have to fight for it, there's already a template for how to do it, women have done it, gay people have done it, black people have done it. It's literally a case of just copying it. If your point is reasonable and rational like for example "I want the right to be part of my childs life" people en masse will support it, but you have to actually get out and say it, and make the statement, and start a movement nothing will be achieved by getting online complaining that if feminists really cared they'd do it for you.

I couldn’t agree more.

So much energy is spent naking the tiny point that if feminists cared about equality then they’d take care of all the campaigning on men’s behalf.

It might be an interesting point if it was a premise that lead to the conclusion that men need to become active to campaign for the changes they want. But instead the whole point is to give out about feminists. The end.

Sexual harassment is a perfect example of how men just need to copy and paste the campaigning done for women’s sexual harassment over the last few decades. This thread topic could have been a call to arms for men who experience sexual harassment. To show them that they don’t have to accept harassment from a superior and they have the support of other men (and in this case, the institution).

But instead it was just a feminist bashing thread in which the only people who bothered to show support for the guy at the centre, was dreaded feminists.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Tbf they are called feminists, they are looking for social political and economic equality for women. It's right there in the name. There may be aspects of this that are beneficial to wider society but they are side effects.

What social, political and economic equality do women not currently have in Ireland ?

What social, political and economic equality do women not currently have in Ireland ?

I would say socially the next thing is around childcare, mat leave etc. I think in this instance there will be a bit of overlap in men's rights interests ie if fathers have more rights and greater opportunity for paternal/parental leave then over time we will move to a more equal model of childcare. At the moment and for most of recent history women hold all the rights here and by extension all of the responsibilities, I know some couples make it work with the father as primary caregivers but the current mat leave system does not support that as a choice which is a shame.

I don't believe in gender quotas or hiring women against different standards, imo they just serve as a stick to beat women with. They were both suggested, by men in my workplace and I refused to be a part of it (we never proceeded down that road because my objection was so strong). I think there are other ways to increase female participation in tech companies more organically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I just can't keep up with all the social and fun threads flooding this forum these days.

You should have about 8 pints and go out turfcutting, then post the hilarious episodes that follow!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

The double standards lie in the punishment (often lack thereof) of female perpetrators.

The big laugh it is when women make inappropriate comments in the workplace etc.

The feminists that will see this post as a hatred of women adds to the enormous double standard in society.

• Advertisement

py2006 wrote: »
    The double standards lie in the punishment (often lack thereof) of female perpetrators.

The big laugh it is when women make inappropriate comments in the workplace etc.

The feminists that will see this post as a hatred of women adds to the enormous double standard in society.

We’ll see if any feminists come forward with that opinion. I doubt it personally.

If someone makes ‘inappropriate comments’ in work, then it’s men’s rights supporters job to support the one who was harassed.

I’m sure lots of people make inappropriate gestures by accident - both men and women. The trend has been for women’s rights supporters to hand together and change the culture so there are consequences for harassing women. I don’t begrudge them that. Fair play.

If men want the same outcome they need to go through the same process of pushing for change and support the harassed man. Whining about how feminists should do this or that on men’s behalf or else they’re engaging in false advertising, is trivial in so far as it’s true and is also completely useless to men’s rights.

I would say socially the next thing is around childcare, mat leave etc. I think in this instance there will be a bit of overlap in men's rights interests ie if fathers have more rights and greater opportunity for paternal/parental leave then over time we will move to a more equal model of childcare. At the moment and for most of recent history women hold all the rights here and by extension all of the responsibilities, I know some couples make it work with the father as primary caregivers but the current mat leave system does not support that as a choice which is a shame.

I don't believe in gender quotas or hiring women against different standards, imo they just serve as a stick to beat women with. They were both suggested, by men in my workplace and I refused to be a part of it (we never proceeded down that road because my objection was so strong). I think there are other ways to increase female participation in tech companies more organically.

Completely sensible and I fail to see why that doesn't happen.

Give a year "baby leave" and let the parents divvy it up as needed. What's wrong with that ?

py2006 wrote:

py2006 wrote:

How is that hatred of women?

I'd go one further and say it's not funny for people to make inappropriate comments in the workplace, making it about men and women implies that men can't be sexually harassed by other men and women can't be sexually harassed by other women.

Completely sensible and I fail to see why that doesn't happen.

Give a year "baby leave" and let the parents divvy it up as needed. What's wrong with that ?

There’s nothing wrong with it. I whole heartedly support shared parental leave. There just isn’t enough drive among men to push for that change.

If the people complaining that feminists don't do enough men’s rights equated to actual men’s rights campaigners, these things would be much further down the road towards being addressed

There’s nothing wrong with it. I whole heartedly support shared parental leave. There just isn’t enough drive among men to push for that change.

If the people complaining that feminists don't do enough men’s rights equated to actual men’s rights campaigners, these things would be much further down the road towards being addressed

Sadly there's little impetus amongst many feminists to do anything about anything other than women's rights.

Look at TERF's for example!

Wait! Do you want to believe equality is or isn't the goal??

His point I believe was let's wait to see feminist groups campaign for anoymity for both complainant and defendant in rape cases; for equal sentencing for men and women committing the same crime and for female violence towards men to be taken seriously.

It'll never be a campaign sadly.

• Advertisement

I really don't know, given the low up take in pat leave since its introduction I think we're still in a place where child rearing is largely seen as women's work so there's less push towards change.

How is that hatred of women?

I'd go one further and say it's not funny for people to make inappropriate comments in the workplace, making it about men and women implies that men can't be sexually harassed by other men and women can't be sexually harassed by other women.

It isn't a hatred of women!!

The point I was making about the inappropriate comments is that men have to be VERY careful what they say and how they say it. Whereas women don't have to walk on eggshells as much.

Sadly there's little impetus amongst many feminists to do anything about anything other than women's rights.

Look at TERF's for example!
    And I hear the heart foundation says it’s concerned with health but does bugger all to help with cancer.

If only the heart foundation were to solve cancer, then we wouldn’t need to do anything about cancer.

The feminists are busily achieving change. And i don’t begrudge them their success. IF people care about men’s rights they need to start supporting men’s rights.

I see lots of energy devoted to complaining about feminism. And so little actual interest in supporting men’s rights.

Does anyone else find it ironic that the ones in this thread who are actually interested in men’s rights are also feminist?

And I hear the heart foundation says it’s concerned with health but does bugger all to help with cancer.

If only the heart foundation were to solve cancer, then we wouldn’t need to do anything about cancer.

The feminists are busily achieving change. And i don’t begrudge them their success. IF people care about men’s rights they need to start supporting men’s rights.

I see lots of energy devoted to complaining about feminism. And so little actual interest in supporting men’s rights.

Does anyone else find it ironic that the ones in this thread who are actually interested in men’s rights are also feminist?

So, deflection.

His point I believe was let's wait to see feminist groups campaign for anoymity for both complainant and defendant in rape cases; for equal sentencing for men and women committing the same crime and for female violence towards men to be taken seriously.

I know that's his point it's the point of a lot of people who want to deride feminists online. Tbh I don't disagree I think it's condescending to not treat women as a credible threat in the judicial system, and anonymity of both parties in rape cases just seems sensible. I wouldn't object to either of those things. I'm probably not going to start a campaign about it though.

• Advertisement

It isn't a hatred of women!!

The point I was making about the inappropriate comments is that men have to be VERY careful what they say and how they say it. Whereas women don't have to walk on eggshells as much.

The point you seem to miss is that change happened for a very specific reason. They campaigned for change and eventually achieved it gradually.

We have the perfect experiment. Women campaigned for change and men didn’t. Now we have different outcomes.

What needs to happen next... I wonder what should we do next... I know! Complain that feminists don’t do enough for men’s rights!

Or maybe support men’s rights.

The point you seem to miss is that change happened for a very specific reason. They campaigned for change and eventually achieved it gradually.

We have the perfect experiment. Women campaigned for change and men didn’t. Now we have different outcomes.

What needs to happen next... I wonder what should we do next... I know! Complain that feminists don’t do enough for men’s rights!

I haven't missed any points. I have two working eyes, two working ears and a working fairly decent brain. I see, hear and process what I see going on in society today.

py2006 wrote:

If men objected to those comments in the way women have in the past, then we could all walk on eggshells. For some reason or another (that I don't understand) men don't seem to want to. You see it all the time in threads here men talk about being groped and saying they would never do anything about it or say anything, they minimise it a lot, which is fine if that's how they feel about it, but if you don't try and force change then change will never come.

If men objected to those comments in the way women have in the past, then we could all walk on eggshells. For some reason or another (that I don't understand) men don't seem to want to. You see it all the time in threads here men talk about being groped and saying they would never do anything about it or say anything, they minimise it a lot, which is fine if that's how they feel about it, but if you don't try and force change then change will never come.

You are confusing the frustration/annoyance at the double standard and the vilification of men.

Men generally don't care about 'banter' in the workplace for example. They laugh along or just ignore it. What they don't do is go over the top and make accusations or run complaining to HR or whatever.

Some women today buy into the extreme feminist narrative that seeks to destroy any man for any little reason. Rational women don't of course.

So you're saying men getting harassed in the workplace is an issue except it isn't an issue and it's only an issue when you want to use it as a stick to beat feminists with

py2006 wrote:
    You are confusing the frustration/annoyance at the double standard and the vilification of men.

I don't get what the double standard is, sure if I make a sexually inappropriate comment to you and then complain when you make one to me then very much double standard.
    If I make it my business not to get involved in that kind of banter and someone says something sexually inappropriate to me in work there is no double standard in me taking them to task on it.

bluewolf wrote: »
    So you're saying men getting harassed in the workplace is an issue except it isn't an issue and it's only an issue when you want to use it as a stick to beat feminists with

Don't think I am wording correctly

Men generally don't care about 'banter' in the workplace for example. They laugh along or just ignore it. What they don't do is go over the top and make accusations or run complaining to HR or whatever.

Some women today buy into the extreme feminist narrative that seeks to destroy any man for any little reason. Rational women don't of course.

If men don’t care about banter/sexual harassment then those men can’t really be sexually harassed so what’s the problem?

The thing this attitude assumes is that if you don’t care about sexual harassment, then nobody else should have the right to object to being harassed.

You have no use for anti sexual harassment, so you don’t want anyone else to have it either. That’s a very self centred approach.

The guy who was subject of this thread would disagree with you, as do I.

I haven't missed any points. I have two working eyes, two working ears and a working fairly decent brain. I see, hear and process what I see going on in society today.

Good. So using your eyes, ears and brain, tell me why you think attitudes towards sexual harassment has changed over the last few decades.

Why is female sexual harassment treated differently to Male sexual harassment?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Good for you, I suppose. There are really important issues going on besides being the umpteenth poster to make the same argument as if it’s novel or interesting.

You must have met his type before el_d. The guys who proudly tell you they don’t care about starving African people, and everyone’s a hypocrite. Username should be holden_caulfield

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It's genuinely good to hear that there are people, who identify as Feminists, also care about the rights of men/males, to be fair, it is unusual, it does underline the belief that Feminism is about advocating the rights of women, therefore has little or nothing to do with equality.

Also, it should be noted, Feminism has been given a whole lot more invaluable exposure in Mainstream Media, which has never been extended to men's rights issues.

I also agree than men do not tend to work as well collectively when it comes to pursuing their rights and gender equality, that is, despite the existence of "the patriarchy"...or the glass ceiling men seemingly impose of the progression of women in the workplace...or the imposition of the gender pay gap which I assume is men collectively paying men more than women...there is something not adding up!

LLMMLL wrote: »

You must have met his type before el_d. The guys who proudly tell you they don’t care about starving African people, and everyone’s a hypocrite. Username should be holden_caulfield

Lol. It’s interesting that people hold those opinions alright. I’ve never really understood how someone would be so vigorously apathetic about such a small point.

It's genuinely good to hear that there are people, who identify as Feminists, also care about the rights of men/males, to be fair, it is unusual, it does underline the belief that Feminism is about advocating the rights of women, therefore has little or nothing to do with equality.

It's not that unusual really, most women I know identify as feminist and I don't know a single one who doesn't care about men's rights. We all have men in our lives the things that affect men affect all of society.
    Also, it should be noted, Feminism has been given a whole lot more invaluable exposure in Mainstream Media, which has never been extended to men's rights issues.

Feminism has garnered media exposure because it's over a hundred years old and has made huge leaps forward in a relatively short space of time. It got that attention by refusing to be ignored. A women's march, for better or worse that brings the centre of major cities all over the world to a halt is going to make headlines. If men did the same it would make headlines. The attention of the media is up for grabs, those who shout loudest get it.

It's not that unusual really, most women I know identify as feminist and I don't know a single one who doesn't care about men's rights. We all have men in our lives the things that affect men affect all of society.

Feminism has garnered media exposure because it's over a hundred years old and has made huge leaps forward in a relatively short space of time. It got that attention by refusing to be ignored. A women's march, for better or worse that brings the centre of major cities all over the world to a halt is going to make headlines. If men did the same it would make headlines. The attention of the media is up for grabs, those who shout loudest get it.

Well, we can talk about how we experience Feminism in our own lives, mine is the opposite to yours, they are merely anecdotal, the Feminists that we are all exposed to in Media certainly have never indicated any concern for men's rights...in fact, it is purely from contributions from people on forums like this that I have been exposed to the debunking of the gender pay gap, the debunking of the myth that it is men who abuse and that women are the victims of abuse.

I do struggle however, to understand what rights have been afforded to me, that haven't been afforded to the girls in my class, of my age...yet Feminism has never received the exposure we see today.

I also agree than men do not tend to work as well collectively when it comes to pursuing their rights and gender equality, that is, despite the existence of "the patriarchy"...or the glass ceiling men seemingly impose of the progression of women in the workplace...or the imposition of the gender pay gap which I assume is men collectively paying men more than women...there is something not adding up!

I don’t find it that surprising to find people who support Men and women’s rights.

Whatever about the mainstream media, social media is abuzz with feminism. Take this thread as an example. It was started by a man who dislikes feminism, to discuss and give out about feminism.

It could have focused on the fact that men experience harassment and this guy looked for help and got help. A role model in fighting back against Male harassment.

Instead it was just another feminist bashing thread. The only posters who expressed any concern for the man at the centre, were feminists.

I swear I must have heard the term patriarchy used ironically by men 100 times for any tine I’ve ever heard a feminist say it seriously.

If feminists are so ridiculous, how do they have so much success compared to men’s rights?

All the excuses in the world don’t make up for the fact that women’s rights are moving along nicely and men’s rights aren’t. It’s not women’s rights activists fault they’re so much more effective than their Male counterparts.

Well, we can talk about how we experience Feminism in our own lives, mine is the opposite to yours, they are merely anecdotal, the Feminists that we are all exposed to in Media certainly have never indicated any concern for men's rights...in fact, it is purely from contributions from people on forums like this that I have been exposed to the debunking of the gender pay gap, the debunking of the myth that it is men who abuse and that women are the victims of abuse.

I would cast your net wider then because there are certainly examples in the media of feminists who are also interested in men's rights, you won't find them in click bait articles or people who are controversial for a living. Taking those people as representative of a very diverse group of people allows you a very limited view of the world. I read trumps tweets, I don't take him as representative of all men, or all Americans, but somehow Louise ONeill or Una Mullally are representative of all feminists (you didn't mention them by name but I know they two high profile feminists in Ireland) I don't read what they write I can't and won't comment on it, but based on my understanding of what they write they are not representative of myself or any feminists I know.
    I do struggle however, to understand what rights have been afforded to me, that haven't been afforded to the girls in my class, of my age...yet Feminism has never received the exposure we see today.

Feminism has been a big news story for a long long time, since women were chaining themselves to railings and going on hunger strike for the right to vote. The difference now is the news cycle has changed there are 24 hours to fill with news so agencies will fill it, whoever grabs for the headline will get it.
    You can't see a difference in rights between you and the girls in your class and that's great. Feminism brought us to that point. Legally we all have the same rights that's the relatively easy part. Social change is required to make sure those rights are respected and valued. Just because a right is secured does not mean you stop fighting for it. In the US access to abortion and contraception is being rowed back in some states, showing you can't take any right you have earned for granted.

I don’t find it that surprising to find people who support Men and women’s rights.

Whatever about the mainstream media, social media is abuzz with feminism. Take this thread as an example. It was started by a man who dislikes feminism, to discuss and give out about feminism.

It could have focused on the fact that men experience harassment and this guy looked for help and got help. A role model in fighting back against Male harassment.

Instead it was just another feminist bashing thread. The only posters who expressed any concern for the man at the centre, were feminists.

I swear I must have heard the term patriarchy used ironically by men 100 times for any tine I’ve ever heard a feminist say it seriously.

If feminists are so ridiculous, how do they have so much success compared to men’s rights?

All the excuses in the world don’t make up for the fact that women’s rights are moving along nicely and men’s rights aren’t. It’s not women’s rights activists fault they’re so much more effective than their Male counterparts.

Social media is abuzz with women who target "the patriarchy" in my experience, but like I said earlier, that is anecdotal, Feminism doesn't care one jot about gender equality, indeed, those social media feminists nearly convinced me I shouldn't have been voting in the last referendum, but again, that is anecdotal....indeed one particularly unhinged feminist blamed the result on the patriarchy!!

Can you not recognise, that to achieve "success" in any popular movement, you need mainstream media exposure, which has not been afforded to men's issues/rights? Feminism has been around a lot longer than social media.

Can you not recognise, that while feminists of a particularly privileged demographic have been far more successful, the plight of women working in the minimum wage/zero contract sector of society have been abandoned!

Why would feminists want to stop you being annoyed? You being annoyed means they get loads of free publicity out of people like yourself. They’re charging ahead, getting things done and you’re helping them raise their social media profile.

They get to have their cake and eat it. All because you got annoyed lol.

So, being divisive is actually the best way of achieving success...classy!

Can you not recognise, that to achieve "success" in any popular movement, you need mainstream media exposure, which has not been afforded to men's issues/rights? Feminism has been around a lot longer than social media.

I recognise and accept that. Men's rights activists just aren't doing it. If we assumed that every man in this thread wanted to be a part of a campaign for I dunno free testicular cancer screening, all you would have to do is each write a tweet to the minister for health with a # (something catchy about balls probably)
    You would need to convince one person to do it to and they in turn convince one person and so on, maybe someone does in insta story, bam you have a movement, media outlets see this # trending and hey presto you have the media coverage you want but if nobody ever starts it it never happens. Getting media attention for an issue has never been easier or more accessible than it is now.

• Advertisement

Social media is abuzz with women who target "the patriarchy" in my experience, but like I said earlier, that is anecdotal, Feminism doesn't care one jot about gender equality, indeed, those social media feminists nearly convinced me I shouldn't have been voting in the last referendum, but again, that is anecdotal....indeed one particularly unhinged feminist blamed the result on the patriarchy!!

Can you not recognise, that while feminists of a particularly privileged demographic have been far more successful, the plight of women working in the minimum wage/zero contract sector of society have been abandoned!

As I said already, this very thread is an example of social media raising the profile if feminists. And it was started with an anti-feminist intention. Boards is full of this type of thread.

The mainstream media doesn’t ‘afford’ airtime to all groups equally. The most relevant groups take airtime be being most relevant.

For example Fathers for Justice got loads of mainstream headliners when they disrupted the Rose of Tralee a few years ago. They probably raised their profile hugely with that stunt.

I wouldn’t worry too much about ‘bad’ publicity. Feminists get loads of bad publicity but they get lots done at the same time.

I’d argue that most of feminism’s publicity is ‘bad’ publicity from anti feminist people. But it all combines to make feminism a very relevant topic. Hence coverage in mainstream media

I recognise and accept that. Men's rights activists just aren't doing it. If we assumed that every man in this thread wanted to be a part of a campaign for I dunno free testicular cancer screening, all you would have to do is each write a tweet to the minister for health with a # (something catchy about balls probably)
    You would need to convince one person to do it to and they in turn convince one person and so on, maybe someone does in insta story, bam you have a movement, media outlets see this # trending and hey presto you have the media coverage you want but if nobody ever starts it it never happens. Getting media attention for an issue has never been easier or more accessible than it is now.

Thanks to your encouragement, I am going to make a stand on men's health issues...I'm going to grow a beard for the month of September...I'm gonna call it Beardember...the media will row in right behind it no doubt to inform all of its existence!!! ;)

As I said already, this very thread is an example of social media raising the profile if feminists. And it was started with an anti-feminist intention. Boards is full of this type of thread.

The mainstream media doesn’t ‘afford’ airtime to all groups equally. The most relevant groups take airtime be being most relevant.

For example Fathers for Justice got loads of mainstream headliners when they disrupted the Rose of Tralee a few years ago. They probably raised their profile hugely with that stunt.

I wouldn’t worry too much about ‘bad’ publicity. Feminists get loads of bad publicity but they get lots done at the same time.

I’d argue that most of feminism’s publicity is ‘bad’ publicity from anti feminist people. But it all combines to make feminism a very relevant topic. Hence coverage in mainstream media

Right, I can clearly see you haven't a notion how mainstream media operates...we're probably wasting each others time!!

Thanks to your encouragement, I am going to make a stand on men's health issues...I'm going to grow a beard for the month of September...I'm gonna call it Beardember...the media will row in right behind it no doubt to inform all of its existence!!!

Good for you, movember had to start somewhere too. Share your hashtag here I'll happily share it on!

I know you're being facetious, but that is actually how movements start, one person cares about something, they speak about it someone else chimes in and another and another, how do you think things happen. The media just comes up with an idea and makes it happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod: Rereg troll posts and quotes removed, in case anybody is wondering where all the posts went.

Right, I can clearly see you haven't a notion how mainstream media operates...we're probably wasting each others time!!

Thanks to your encouragement, I am going to make a stand on men's health issues...I'm going to grow a beard for the month of September...I'm gonna call it Beardember...the media will row in right behind it no doubt to inform all of its existence!!! ;)

To be fair, I don’t think you have a clue how media works either.

• Advertisement

Good for you, movember had to start somewhere too. Share your hashtag here I'll happily share it on!

I know you're being facetious, but that is actually how movements start, one person cares about something, they speak about it someone else chimes in and another and another, how do you think things happen. The media just comes up with an idea and makes it happen?

You're slick...I'll give you that!!

It has been around for over 10 years, men do what they can to highlight their issues, if mainstream media doesn't decide to row in behind the issues get lost in the clutter.

I am well aware of how movements start, the media pick the issues based on clicks/views/readers...the female audience is much more sought after than a male audience for advertisers...it is on that basis that issues are selected.

I think you are in over your head when it comes to understanding how media operates...it is not some wonderfully industry full of integrity that picks the issues of the day based on merit or relevance...it is farcical to suggest it is.

It has been around for over 10 years, men do what they can to highlight their issues, if mainstream media doesn't decide to row in behind the issues get lost in the clutter.

I am well aware of how movements start, the media pick the issues based on clicks/views/readers...the female audience is much more sought after than a male audience for advertisers...it is on that basis that issues are selected.

I’d argue half of LON’s readers are men who completely disagree with her. Clicks count whether the clicker agrees with it despises the content.

The bucks in the LON bashing thread keep an avid eye on her content. They all count as clicks

I think you are in over your head when it comes to understanding how media operates...it is not some wonderfully industry full of integrity that picks the issues of the day based on merit or relevance...it is farcical to suggest it is.

I didn’t suggest it has anything to do with integrity. The ‘merit’ is relevance to the public. If people click it, it’s relevant. Outrage clicks are equal to right-on clicks.

Why thank you!

If at first they don't listen try and try again. When feminists started they were derided and ridiculed in the media, to the point that most "ordinary" women didn't want to be associated with them. But they persisted. Perseverance pays off and it's more effective than sitting round slagging off feminism for getting the job done

• Advertisement
Advertisement