Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Papal visit

Options
  • 15-08-2018 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

With the littany of road closures next weekend, any advice on a.) Getting to the Rotunda b.) Getting baby home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

When I had my first there was a marathon on during the weekend I might have had to have a section or be admitted which affected traffic around Holles Street. My husband called the garda traffic office and they were very helpful, I can't swear to it but I think he was given a number to call in the case of an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

IM the exact same as you. Due that wknd and may have to get to coombe. Also afraid that if I’m induced and hubby is sent home, how would he get up to me if I go into active labour. Also worried like u that if i go into labour next week and am due to be sent home, how will we get baby through the traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No matter where you're coming from, the most prudent course of action is to approach from the North.

If you're coming from the South or West, get to the M50, go Northbound and then come off at Ballymun or M1. Then make your way to the Rotunda via the N1/Dorset St/Bolton St.

It seems like a long way around, but realistically it'll only add 20/25 minutes to your journey. If you don't think you can afford 20 minutes, then call an ambulance and they'll be able to cut through the road closures.

If you're coming from the South-East (Bray, Blackrock, etc), then you could use the East-Link bridge and then onto Sherriff Street/North Circular/N1. But if you're coming from the South (Wicklow, Rathfarnham, Ballinteer), then going all the way around the M50 would still be quicker.

The main arteries closed are shown here:
    http://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/RoadsandTraffic/ScheduledDisruptions/Documents/18414-C-%20070-A%20CITYWIDE%20ROAD%20CLOSURE%20IMAGE%20A3.pdf

The streets inside the city can be seen here:
    http://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/RoadsandTraffic/ScheduledDisruptions/Documents/18414-%20H-%20Saturday%20Road%20Closures.pdf

So you can see that once you can get to the North of the city, make your way to the N1 and you should be fine.

Don't be afraid to use the bus lanes and point to an imminent baby if you're stopped.

Advertisement