Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Increase/ Sign new lease

Options
  • 15-08-2018 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello, my rent is set to increase on October 1st and my flatmate and I need to send the paper stating that we agree to the increase. If this is signed, will we be placed on another year long lease? Our lease was up in June so we are on periodic tenancy. I have a horrible roommate so I do not want to be stuck living here for another year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Then don't sign the new lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭dennyk

What does the paper say? You don't need to sign anything for a rent increase; the landlord provides you notice of the new rent (in compliance with the law regarding the timing and format of said notice and any regulations relating to the amount of the increase, of course) and you then pay the new rent starting from the date it comes into effect or you get a 14-day notice to correct arrears and then a 28-day notice to vacate. (This is assuming you're a tenant, of course; if you are a licensee living in the same property as your landlord, then you pay the rent when and where they say or you and your stuff are out on the footpath in five minutes...).

If you are a tenant and you have been in the property for more than six months, you have Part 4 rights and don't have to sign a new lease to have security of tenure under Part 4, so don't sign one unless you have a good reason to.

Advertisement