Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Losing editing rights within wordpress

Options
  • 15-08-2018 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all - Ive been running wordpress for years and ive come across an issue I cant seem to fathom.

On Friday last the main theme Im using (cusomtizr) and Wordpress itself updated. After that, you can log in, go to a page (still logged in and ready to edit) but if you click a link within any page, when you arrive at that page there's no edit facility. Now, I can go to the backend, pull up the pages and edit from there, but this site has about 40 editors and thats a bit too confusing for them.

Usually theres an edit link on the page and the grey admin bar along the top for every page, but these all disappear when you click into a second link.

I pulled the theme and wordpress back to previous versions, but Im still getting the same issue. New pages work fine, but anything done before Friday has no edit facilities as outlined above. Ive tried various themes and various versions of wordpress and Im getting the same issue. Ive checked version.php and the version in the database and they match. Im not getting it on any of the other sites I run.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Plugin conflict maybe? Was there any plugin updates done along with the wordpress update?

Do you have any caching plugin, did you try dump the cache from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i did a refresh install on a dev server, without plugins and with a basic wordpress 2017 template - all fine. Imported in some old posts from 2017 from the site and bang! ... same issue. When I check the source code, the admin css info etc is gone completely.

Next move is to import posts from another wordpress site and see if its an issue with the specific content being imported or if it happens to any info being imported

totally stumped. the test site works perfect until I import info from the site Im having the issue with. This is old data that was fine up until last friday. even if I import data for one page the issue occurs, yet there (doesnt seem to be) any obvious difference bar the content - all of which is basic text

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Odd question but I assume the pages are in English - no weird or odd characters on any of them?

Axwell wrote: »
    Odd question but I assume the pages are in English - no weird or odd characters on any of them?

bit of a weird one. on the old site I had been using the 'simple ssl' plugin, but had to disable it due to a conflict. I had assume disabling it would be enough, but it seems it didnt matter what I done even on a new server with no plugins etc - the exported data obviously still had info from the SSL plugin in it. when I totally uninstalled the plugin completely the issue resolved itself.

Lesson learned - even disabled plugins can cause issues!

• Advertisement
Advertisement