Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Greenway Half Marathon September 8th

Options
  • 15-08-2018 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭

Anyone signed up to run the Greenway Half Marathon or ran it last year?

I've cycled the greenway before and looking forward to it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭opus

Yup signed up a few months ago, walked ~20k of during the xmas break last year but might try and get a bit of a jog along it before Sept as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jimmy74

Done it last year & back to do it again this year.
    It's a well organised club event.
    Absolutely no headphones allowed.
    Water is in cups with the idea I think to dispose of d cups at the water stations so no litter to be left on the greenaway.
    The start can be a bit hectic but last year it appeared to be mostly club runners participating who seemed to understand to start roughly in the correct zones and once the first mile or so is out of the way it settled down very nicely.
    As the greenaway is a shared space your encouraged to run in pairs, in fairness last year they're were some bigger groups but once the call came out that bikes or walkers were in the vicinity, certainly in the group I was in,everyone quickly got into two abreast.

Overall a nice course & hopefully the sea breeze will be behind us as we come out the railway tunnel & turn the last bend to head for the finish lines.
    On the last few miles there are a few little drags, nothing major but because of where they are in the race and if your pretty tired & d wind is blowing against you they can appear a little bit tougher than they should be.

Lasy year must have gone well as I see they upped the entry limit from 500 last year to 750 this year.

I didn't make the grub afterwards last year but heard there was no shortage of food for anyone that needed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭deisedude

Jimmy74 wrote: »
    Done it last year & back to do it again this year.
    It's a well organised club event.
    Absolutely no headphones allowed.
    Water is in cups with the idea I think to dispose of d cups at the water stations so no litter to be left on the greenaway.
    The start can be a bit hectic but last year it appeared to be mostly club runners participating who seemed to understand to start roughly in the correct zones and once the first mile or so is out of the way it settled down very nicely.
    As the greenaway is a shared space your encouraged to run in pairs, in fairness last year they're were some bigger groups but once the call came out that bikes or walkers were in the vicinity, certainly in the group I was in,everyone quickly got into two abreast.

Overall a nice course & hopefully the sea breeze will be behind us as we come out the railway tunnel & turn the last bend to head for the finish lines.
    On the last few miles there are a few little drags, nothing major but because of where they are in the race and if your pretty tired & d wind is blowing against you they can appear a little bit tougher than they should be.

Lasy year must have gone well as I see they upped the entry limit from 500 last year to 750 this year.

I didn't make the grub afterwards last year but heard there was no shortage of food for anyone that needed it.

Thanks for race recap. In terms of difficulty is it a race you could do a good time on if the weather is in your favour?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jimmy74

deisedude wrote: »
    Thanks for race recap. In terms of difficulty is it a race you could do a good time on if the weather is in your favour?

Definitely!!

I wasnt in any way good shape last year & came within 30 secs of my PB.

If I remember correctly the 1st mile is downhill,bit of a drag for the next 2 miles or so(your then at the highest point of the course)the rest is mostly downhill,think there is a bit of a pull coming out of the tunnel under the N25,after this you could get a bit too carried away with the pace.
    at about 9 miles or so you have the last pull for about a .5/.75 miles as you approach the Ballyvoile Railway tunnel,after that its pretty much flat with a few drags as you go under the road.

Although as you approach the last mile you have a bit of a pull,when you reach the last section the greenway there is a kilometer of the greenway marked in 100 meter sections,these sections can appear very long!!!!!!!!
    First you will see is 1000meters,think the finish line is around the 200 meter mark but there is a pull from the 1000 meter mark to about the 400 meter mark.

If the wind(or dare i say it rain:o) is against you as you come out of the tunnel and over the viaduct,depending on how your doing/feeling the last 2 miles or so have the potential to be challenging.
    If conditions are good there are some good views coming around that last sweeping bend.

Best of Luck in the race & I look forward to reading your PB race report.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Signed up for this and looking forward to it after East Cork Half Marathon last week. Event is officially full but there is a waiting list and they are also offering refunds until the end of today.

Course profile here

https://www.relive.cc/view/1072404668

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭opus

Really enjoyed the greenway half yesterday, definitely a little out of the ordinary compared to all the halfs on the road. Hope it went well for everyone.

Had the John Buckley 10m that evening in Cork as well as was supporting the Sanctuary Runners there so feeling just a bit on the lazy side today :)

Advertisement