Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Illness benefit problems since new form

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    I have already contacted SF and FG.
    Jack chambers was surprised when his canvasser called him over to my door and explaining everything.
    I was told I would get a call on Monday.
    I have to ring SF again today. Not going to bother anymore with FG as I just got the usual letter saying they are looking into it .

But they won't be able to deny they received complaints. :P

You can even mention to other TDs (e.g. SF) that you haven't had much luck raising the issue with government TDs : "emailed Deputy Blah Blah on such a date but the response I got was ..... "

It's all about applying pressure. The more TD's who receive complaints the better.
    That's why I emailed Varadker - not for a second did I think they would do anything but pass the buck to Doherty BUT the complaint will have been logged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

I don’t know how to link it but there’s a statement up on the website saying we should be paid by Monday at the latest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 Vermelho

Finally something in the IT about all this mess, the media have been pretty lame at chasing the ministers on this, only doing it now because it’s a slow news week
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/unforgiving-it-system-blamed-for-latest-delays-in-illness-benefit-1.3684226

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Whiplashy wrote: »
    I don’t know how to link it but there’s a statement up on the website saying we should be paid by Monday at the latest.

Last time they promised it I indeed received missing 165 euro from previous week on Monday, but then they forgot to transfer 198 on Wednesday, so I am not holding my breath.

Glad to see some of you with huge arrears got the lump sum this week. Some relief, and a sign that things are going in right direction.

I think the numbers in the statement explain lack of interest around this issue. Out of 1.6 million payments just 50k are Illness Benefit payments.

That's a small percentage so they probably thought that won't backfire big time.

What they haven't realised is the fact that most of us have medical expenses, too apart from regular bills.

I have no medical card so 198 euro missing could easily cover some of my charges for hospital, GP etc.

I can only imagine how it can mess up one's day to day life.

Have an assessment next week and fingers crossed I will be back at work within two. Never thought I will say it, but can't wait to go back :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Man with a plan

WOW JUST WOW !!!!
    Just as I suspected in my original post on this forum this software was never tested before being rolled out.

According to the report in the Journal.ie today -
    "Doherty said that this has been a learning curve for the Department and that, in the future, IT systems will be fully tested before being implemented. "

So they are admitting its an IT software issue.
    This goes back to my original post of why this software wasn't tested before being rolled out live as is the norm in every
    company the world over ?
    and who signed off on the rollout of this new system without being tested properly or tested at all ?

Absolutely bloody disgraceful !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I note that the shift from payment in arrears to "real-time" payment was confirmed by Minister Doherty and she confirmed that all payments will be correct in the very near future.
    I wonder if this means that those who received no payment over the week of the 15/10 will receive no further payment?
    As the system will now tally the totals as being correct?

The handling of this debacle continues to astound me. The minister is still blaming IT systems.
    Those systems can only be changed upon management sign off, as such she needs to take responsibility for her lack of actual oversight.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Man with a plan

As someone who has worked in many different areas of IT my whole life I am truely lost for words.
    Utterly Utterly Astonishing that in the year 2018 that software with such a huge impact on peoples lives would be rolled out without proper sound testing.

Heads should absolutely roll here.

If this was the private sector p45's would be getting handed out left right and centre and some serious serious questions being asked of management who signed off on this as theyre shown the door.

Incompetence of the highest order.
    I'm really just lost for words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38 TattooedLady

So how many of us have been paid so far this week? Apparently there’s only 10,000 that haven’t been paid and we should be paid but Monday at the latest but I’ll believe it when I see it.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst I would say.

Until I see the money I don't believe in any of those promises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭NickD

I received a week today. I can't even keep track any more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

If her majesty stated that everyone will get a payment come Monday, that probably means another blanket cert along the lines of the 10th October one - in other words a high probability that monthly, 6 monthly certs submitted will be overwritten. And nobody is on a 28 week cert due to a sprained ankle or an allergy to November..

Short-term everybody gets a little something but come the following week, chaos. That wouldn't happen if they consulted staff on the ground, as said above - tested the system, rolled it out on a trial basis with a small subset of IB claims or had a ****ing clue what was happening two floors down.

Just checked my bank there and I’ve been paid fully including all arrears up until my next cert is due on Wednesday. Whether they keep paying or not is another thing but I’m happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Bubabear

Just checked my bank there and I’ve been paid fully including all arrears up until my next cert is due on Wednesday. Whether they keep paying or not is another thing but I’m happy with that.

Did that go in today late or this morning still waiting for mine😡

Bubabear wrote: »
    Did that go in today late or this morning still waiting for mine😡

Late today, I was in town earlier (around 6 or so) and it wasn’t in and checked again a few times then checked at around 10 and it was in.

Late today, I was in town earlier (around 6 or so) and it wasn’t in and checked again a few times then checked at around 10 and it was in.

I'll just keep checking so. Hopefully fingers crossed.

I'll just keep checking so. Hopefully fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

So how many of us have been paid so far this week? Apparently there’s only 10,000 that haven’t been paid and we should be paid but Monday at the latest but I’ll believe it when I see it.

I posted my cert for this week last Friday and was paid yesterday for this week.
    I am still not getting any payment for my dependents but at least I'm getting the bulk of my payment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

I was told I had 5 days in arrears owed from 15/10-got a €165 payment yesterday, and a post dated €33 for 5/11. So am missing a full weeks payment still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Problems again this week!!! Half a payment, I know its better than nothing but you can not depend on it, more unpaid direct debits.. christmas in a few weeks, just a joke at this stage.. single mom 2 kids. I am just fed up with this now since August!!! No mention on news, its well covered grrrr

• Advertisement

Received missing week payment today :)

Now I hope the Wednesday payment comes through as normal, not like last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 Vermelho

I got a reduced payment last week and today also but I think it’s correct as they had overpaid me a few weeks back. So hopefully next week will be back to normal. I hope the rest of you all get sorted out soon.

Still nothing here. Does anyone know what you’d need to bring with you to the CWO? I think my local one is next there on Tuesday. Want to try and get everything together so she doesn’t just tell me to come back another day with stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Whiplashy wrote: »
    Still nothing here. Does anyone know what you’d need to bring with you to the CWO? I think my local one is next there on Tuesday. Want to try and get everything together so she doesn’t just tell me to come back another day with stuff.

Just your pps number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I received a payment of €231 today, dated for the 5/11.
    Will be curious to see if this is the 8 days I'm missing?
    And if I receive my normal payment on the 6/11 as it falls due.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Just your pps number.

No you need to bring evidence of your savings and your OH income or any other income you have as a couple.

splinter65 wrote: »
    No you need to bring evidence of your savings and your OH income or any other income you have as a couple.

I never needed to to bring anything and wasn't asked for anything apart from pps number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I never needed to to bring anything and wasn't asked for anything apart from pps number.

Depends on the CWO - they vary from helpful to little Hitler.

Depends on the CWO - they vary from helpful to little Hitler.

Thats true. I just must have been lucky as they never even asked me to fill in the whole form about who lives with me e.t.c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭MazzR

Hi everyone...I applied there about a month ago. Had been out for 4 weeks but on my 3rd week back now. I sent in the form and certs obv but haven't even gotten a letter back. Is there a letter? Or will I ever get anything??

So you got an SWA without being means tested?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Lets try and remember that all that glitters is not gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Emergency payments aren't means tested.
    I was offered one last week but (suddenly) the system showed my IB payment had been processed - I did have to fill out a form but tbh most of the info could be accessed just using my PPNS.
    The CWO went to great pains to explain the difference between an emergency payment (which I would have to pay back once my IB was sorted) -apparently they are (were?) authorized to give these while the whole cock-up was (is?) on going and the means tested Supplementary Welfare Allowance.

I just had to fill in a form. How can they means test someone who has no income. They check your PPS number then issue a cheque.

I just had to fill in a form. How can they means test someone who has no income. They check your PPS number then issue a cheque.

That’s not what happens. You filled in a form that asked you who you were living with and what their income is. That’s means testing.

• Advertisement

That’s not what happens. You filled in a form that asked you who you were living with and what their income is. That’s means testing.

Why would I lie about this ?
    The guy told me not to bother with filling out all of this. That's the truth.

MazzR wrote: »
    Hi everyone...I applied there about a month ago. Had been out for 4 weeks but on my 3rd week back now. I sent in the form and certs obv but haven't even gotten a letter back. Is there a letter? Or will I ever get anything??

You don’t always get a letter. If you were out for 4 weeks you would be entitled to 3 weeks pay as you lose your first week. Do you know for definite you have the right PRSI contributions? they are supposed to have everyone sorted by tomorrow, if you don’t get paid by then I would try ringing them as hopefully their lines won’t be too busy as most people should be paid.

Also did you apply within the first 6 days of becoming sick? If not if you had a valid excuse for not claiming within the 6 days you should be okay anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Callymosh

My usual payment day is Saturday-nothing for the last 2 weeks.. and before that all I got was a partial payment. This is the second time this has happened to me in recent weeks. Last time I got an arrears payment I thought it had been sorted but clearly not. Today is now Monday and still no weekly payment or arrears for the last few weeks in my account. Like you I’m switching to maternity benefit in a few weeks and that time just can’t come quick enough. Hoping you and baby are coping with the stress!!

Anyone get there payments today??? Mine's a no show

Anyone get there payments today??? Mine's a no show

Got nothing and just back from CWO and they gave me a different form this time.
    I got 198 off them but sure that's all owed out. Before when I went to them I just filled in a form but got 196.
    It think it was the same form as when I initially went to them.
    Only asked for pps number and who was living with me but never asked for any letters or even ID.

• Advertisement

Got nothing and just back from CWO and they gave me a different form this time.
    I got 198 off them but sure that's all owed out. Before when I went to them I just filled in a form but got 196.
    It think it was the same form as when I initially went to them.
    Only asked for pps number and who was living with me but never asked for any letters or even ID.
    I'm hoping my cwo will help tomorrow as that's their working day. But I'm not even hopeful at this stage. Got onto a local td who has promised to chase them up. In all honesty I won't hold my breath until I see it

I'm hoping my cwo will help tomorrow as that's their working day. But I'm not even hopeful at this stage. Got onto a local td who has promised to chase them up. In all honesty I won't hold my breath until I see it

I've been onto several td's but nothing apart from the usual response that they are aware of the problem.
    I'm lucky that my local intreo office is open everyday untill 12.30 but when you are sick the last thing you want is to have to trek down and fill out forms then go to the post office to collect and see everyone queuing up laughing and joking collecting their weekly payment wearing the best of clothes e.t.c. It's depressing as f**k.

I've been onto several td's but nothing apart from the usual response that they are aware of the problem.
    I'm lucky that my local intreo office is open everyday untill 12.30 but when you are sick the last thing you want is to have to trek down and fill out forms then go to the post office to collect and see everyone queuing up laughing and joking collecting their weekly payment wearing the best of clothes e.t.c. It's depressing as f**k.
    I totally agree. It feels demeaning

Got my monthly cert today. Was told my GP will be issuing the new ones next month. Put a note in with it saying I’ve received nothing since a part payment on the 11th last month. Someone has to open it so maybe they’ll look into it for me. Was told on Twitter on Thursday that someone would ring me but it never happened. I was supposed to be going to the CWO tomorrow but thinking now maybe I’ll wait until Friday as Thursday is my usual day for payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 JazzJaquzzi

Hi guys.

Just been reading through this thread. I'm not living in Ireland anymore, but I like to keep in touch with home, and am really surprised that this could happen. I'm off work sick myself ATM, but my work is paying for it, and hospital appointments are free and quick.

Just to say, if anybody's really stuck, you could give me a PM, and maybe I could help a little. St. Vincent's De Paul is also excellent - they got me through a tough time before. Sounds like it's slowly getting sorted, but it's not fair when people who are already ill have to go through this crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I've been reading this thread and I cannot believe that this new system was released like this. My own background is in software quality assurance, and I genuinely cannot imagine what circumstances would have to arise for a system to fail so badly in so many ways as this one seems to be doing. The thing is, I worked on games, in which it is expected that end users will do extremely unlikely things just to see what will happen. This software should have been 1000% easier to test because the range of things for the user to actually do would be a lot more structured and limited, and yet this system seems to be failing to perform even basic functions.

It suggests absolutely mindboggling incompetence.

I hope to feck they either get it sorted or roll back to the old system and get the money out to everyone who's waiting. The stress must be seriously affecting people's health and recovery times :(

So I’ve been paid up until this week. I send my cert on a Wednesday so I’m presuming I’ll be due a payment on Friday maybe? I know it used to be two days after but with this system now lord knows when I’ll see another payment.

I got onto my TD and was paid all arrears Friday night and I’ve been told to get back onto her if it all goes pear shaped again; which it probably will 😣

So I’ve been paid up until this week. I send my cert on a Wednesday so I’m presuming I’ll be due a payment on Friday maybe? I know it used to be two days after but with this system now lord knows when I’ll see another payment.

I got onto my TD and was paid all arrears Friday night and I’ve been told to get back onto her if it all goes pear shaped again; which it probably will 😣

I send my certs on Wednesday and receive payments every Wednesday normally.
    Some random missing payments were received on Monday or Saturday, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Hesthea

I'm still missing 2 weeks of payments. And i had to return to work just to make ends meet. Will have to ring them again, unfortunately.

I got 198 this morning. They still owe me about 460 but delighted to have got something.

• Advertisement
Advertisement