Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Illness benefit problems since new form

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭horse7

So does the doctor fill in the form or do you fill in the form, for someone on monthly certs is there a different procedure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

horse7 wrote: »
    So does the doctor fill in the form or do you fill in the form, for someone on monthly certs is there a different procedure?

Your doctor will fill in his part, I only had to add PPS, date of birth and sign a declaration I won't be working on those dates.

It is very simple form ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

I got paid but straight away the bank were in to take €175 off me again. Trying to change bank but the thoughts of trying to get through to IB and and rely on them putting in the correct details is already stressing me out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    I got paid but straight away the bank were in to take €175 off me again. Trying to change bank but the thoughts of trying to get through to IB and and rely on them putting in the correct details is already stressing me out.

Fill this form with your new bank details and send it in

http://www.welfare.ie/en/pdf/eft.pdf

splinter65 wrote: »
    Fill this form with your new bank details and send it in

http://www.welfare.ie/en/pdf/eft.pdf

Thank you. So many times this has happened leaving me with 20 odd euro despite the bank saying they will defer the payments and i have written proof too. It's the last thing anyone needs who suffers from anxiety and depression.

Now i have to just go full tilt and get onto the ombudsman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Are payments slow this week for anyone else?

Are payments slow this week for anyone else?

Yep, have got nothing. It sickens me that i have to go to the Doctor every week while people who never work just get their money straight into the bank without any issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 Vermelho

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Yep, have got nothing. It sickens me that i have to go to the Doctor every week while people who never work just get their money straight into the bank without any issues.

You can ask to be put on monthly certs if your illness is likely to be an extended period of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Left in a cert last Monday,cert was scanned in, no payment yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Vermelho wrote:
    You can ask to be put on monthly certs if your illness is likely to be an extended period of time.

Who does one ask for this? The IB section? No money for me in almost two weeks, how do these clowns expect people to live? It's difficult enough having an illness but worrying if and when payments are gonna be made only compound issues.

Christ it's frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 Vermelho

Who does one ask for this? The IB section? No money for me in almost two weeks, how do these clowns expect people to live? It's difficult enough having an illness but worrying if and when payments are gonna be made only compound issues.

Christ it's frustrating.

I think your doctor can just do it, not sure if they have to call first for approval.

Still nothing this morning, any tips on getting through on the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 corkgal27

Send them a DM on Twitter, they will get back to you within a few hours
    https://mobile.twitter.com/welfare_ie

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭gnarbarian

This is the number for Illness Benefit 01 704 3000
    I used this number twice in the last two weeks when my money went walkies..

corkgal27 wrote: »
    Send them a DM on Twitter, they will get back to you within a few hours
    https://mobile.twitter.com/welfare_ie
    This is the number for Illness Benefit 01 704 3000
    I used this number twice in the last two weeks when my money went walkies..

That's the number I called first thing at 10am this morning, got through to some guy after 27 mins (Not bad I guess). Told me they hadn't received certs blah blah blah, assured me he would issue payment this week.

I have a long term illness so am considering changing my claim from IB, not sure are other payments better/worse/same :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Went into get my weekly cert today and apparently they have changed the system again.

Weekly certs are being replaced with 'closed end' certs where the GP has to tell the dept an end date in advance when you are expected to be able to return to work.
    So my GP and I sat there and tried to guestimate when that would be as I am recovering from surgery but need more surgery but appt with consultant for more tests isn't for a month and then there's the waiting list to have the surgery and then recovery time...

We ended up putting down 3 months and she took copious notes on my condition and my job in case the dept query that.

I have a bad feeling about this...

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Went into get my weekly cert today and apparently they have changed the system again.

Weekly certs are being replaced with 'closed end' certs where the GP has to tell the dept an end date in advance when you are expected to be able to return to work.
    So my GP and I sat there and tried to guestimate when that would be as I am recovering from surgery but need more surgery but appt with consultant for more tests isn't for a month and then there's the waiting list to have the surgery and then recovery time...

We ended up putting down 3 months and she took copious notes on my condition and my job in case the dept query that.

Oh God! You've put the fear in me now..
    Can anyone else confirm that this is a new thing?

gnarbarian wrote: »
    Oh God! You've put the fear in me now..
    Can anyone else confirm that this is a new thing?

GP wasn't impressed. She said this was just landed on them with no warning or consultation. I have a really good relationship with everyone in that practice and if they knew about this last Monday they would absolutely have told me.

Before they can sign one of these certs you must see the Doc so it might be a good idea for anyone on weekly certs to check in case you need to make an appt. I was just lucky that my lift was late today so I got there literally just as they opened after lunch so was able to go straight in to Doc.
    They also have a book from the Dept that gives guidelines as to how long before each 'condition' can be expected to go back to work - estimates which, according to my GP, they seem to have pulled out of their not medically trained arses.

One plus was that they post the cert not me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭hawthorne

Could you post an image of the form please.

Bad copy of the new certs can be seen here:

http://www.cliniclimerick.com/news/new-forms-and-certs-illness-and-injury-benefit-schemes-23-july-2018

My doc still has not received the new forms. He ran out of the old ones last year and now only issues photocopies of the old form.

The problem is not sorted out at all. Shame on the media and the opposition parties which do not highlight the issue enough.

The DoSP is still using patients as pawns in their games with the two doctors organizations.

• Advertisement

Your doctor must be the only one in the whole country that has not received new forms.

Or just very stubborn and refusing to accept them. At patients cost.

These forms were issued long time ago, there is no reason for one not to get them, or maybe just ask for them if he didn't get it. If he is running a medical practice he should be on top of those things.

Update on this.

So, this morning I get a letter from the Dept saying I have been put on monthly certs...

I suspect a few people on 'long-term' weekly will get the same. My theory is they are trying to cut down on the amount of weekly certs they have to input but as usual dealt with it in a completely cack handed way.

Would have been great if I had gotten the letter before yesterday when I ended up getting a 3 month cert as their instructions to GP was that there had to be a 'return to work' end date on it.

GP wasn't impressed. She said this was just landed on them with no warning or consultation. I have a really good relationship with everyone in that practice and if they knew about this last Monday they would absolutely have told me.

Before they can sign one of these certs you must see the Doc so it might be a good idea for anyone on weekly certs to check in case you need to make an appt. I was just lucky that my lift was late today so I got there literally just as they opened after lunch so was able to go straight in to Doc.
    They also have a book from the Dept that gives guidelines as to how long before each 'condition' can be expected to go back to work - estimates which, according to my GP, they seem to have pulled out of their not medically trained arses.

One plus was that they post the cert not me...

So if you have monthly certs you don't have to get one at the GP every month,and the GP will post social welfare every month instead.

wonski wrote: »
    Your doctor must be the only one in the whole country that has not received new forms.

Or just very stubborn and refusing to accept them. At patients cost.

These forms were issued long time ago, there is no reason for one not to get them, or maybe just ask for them if he didn't get it. If he is running a medical practice he should be on top of those things.

If you go through this thread you will find a good number of other posters who also only get photocopied certs from their doctors.
    My doctor is in a medical centre with 3 doctors having their clinics there. NONE of them have the new certs. And ALL of them are only handing out copied certs.
    None of those doctors are getting paid for the certs. That's one of the points this whole thing is all about.
    It is certainly not the doctors who are creating all this chaos. They hand out certs like before- but it is the department who does not pay the money to the patients.
    Would you do work without getting any payment?
    It is the position of my doctor and his colleagues to leave the whole thing in the hands of their doctors organization. This organization is responsible for all dealings with the DoSP. They try to hammer out a new deal to resolve the issue. So far with very little success.
    The problem with the certs is not the only issue in this saga. DoSP wants to introduce a new fully electronic medical cert system. This would require every practice in the country to have an internet connection and a compatible computer system. It would abolish all paperwork as we had it in the past.
    Here again is another issue with costs and management of the system.
    The department just wants to ram it down the doctors throats.
    No ordinary worker would put up with such work practices- so why do you expect the doctors to do so?

I thought this was all agreed now.

I thought this was all agreed now.

Absolutely nothing is agreed. It is all stuck where it started last year in July or so.
    The media are not reporting about it. The politicians are silent.

This is still the current state of the nation:
    https://www.rte.ie/news/health/2018/0823/986958-medical-certificates-health/

• Advertisement

So if you have monthly certs you don't have to get one at the GP every month,and the GP will post social welfare every month instead.

No.

Best I can understand the new system is only for weekly certs.
    I think for the monthly one you have to go to the GP as usual.

No.

Best I can understand the new system is only for weekly certs.
    I think for the monthly one you have to go to the GP as usual.

I just got off the phone to the reception desk at my local GP office and I asked if there was any change to how my weekly certs work and she told me that there were no changes to mine and that I just have to turn up like I do each week and collect my cert..
    Im glad to hear that things haven't changed here in Wicklow anyway!

The GP never posts any social welfare certs- it is always yourself who has to do the job.
    If you are on weekly certs, you must go into your doctor, get examined and collect your cert. You have to post it afterwards as soon as possible to SW.
    Same story if you are on monthly, half yearly or yearly certs- you always have to go into your doctor, get examined, collect the cert and post it to SW.

Next big change will be when everything goes electronic- that will be huge fun to watch when it is all messed up again by the department!

Update on this.

So, this morning I get a letter from the Dept saying I have been put on monthly certs...

I suspect a few people on 'long-term' weekly will get the same. My theory is they are trying to cut down on the amount of weekly certs they have to input but as usual dealt with it in a completely cack handed way.

Would have been great if I had gotten the letter before yesterday when I ended up getting a 3 month cert as their instructions to GP was that there had to be a 'return to work' end date on it.

I got the letter too today but I did question this with the guy on the phone yesterday whether that's related or just coincidence :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

As Bannasidhe said, i've heard that there was a new "review" process introduced literally this week for long term claimants. Despite the claimant having a long term illness on let's say monthly certs, they have to actually visit the doctor once a month just before they submit their monthly cert. Before then, one could have had a relative collect the cert and post it off, now they expect the claimant to be actually at the doctors every month where they can be prone to infection at a vulnerable time in their recovery. And it will cause a waiting list to get a doctor appointment for everyone else.
    hawthorne wrote:
    Same story if you are on monthly, half yearly or yearly certs- you always have to go into your doctor, get examined, collect the cert and post it to SW.
    Nope, you(or a relative/friend) visit the surgery and the staff at the reception do the form filling for the monthly plus certs and you post it off. Now they require the claimant to see the doctor every month to declare that they are unfit for work which is a waste of time for those who are on long term illness where recovery is well known to take a year or two. This will add to waiting lists for everyone to see a doctor.

Some info on new rules https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/workers-to-get-single-sick-cert-after-benefit-scheme-overhaul-1.3743175

• Advertisement

gnarbarian wrote: »
    I just got off the phone to the reception desk at my local GP office and I asked if there was any change to how my weekly certs work and she told me that there were no changes to mine and that I just have to turn up like I do each week and collect my cert..
    Im glad to hear that things haven't changed here in Wicklow anyway!

As I said, first I heard of it was when I turned up to the GP to collect my weekly cert as usual. While I was there she was going through the various booklets the Dept had sent in connection with the changes trying to work out what she was supposed to do...

Who knows how or what the Dept are doing. :rolleyes:

Wouldn't be surprised if only some GPs have been contacted -I do know neither my GP or the practice manager knew anything about any changes until the new guidelines arrived in the post. They were not impressed.

Just thought I should give people on weekly certs a heads up that the Dept are tweaking again...

klaaaz wrote: »
    As Bannasidhe said, i've heard that there was a new "review" process introduced literally this week for long term claimants. Despite the claimant having a long term illness on let's say monthly certs, they have to actually visit the doctor once a month just before they submit their monthly cert. Before then, one could have had a relative collect the cert and post it off, now they expect the claimant to be actually at the doctors every month where they can be prone to infection at a vulnerable time in their recovery. And it will cause a waiting list to get a doctor appointment for everyone else.

Nope, you(or a relative/friend) visit the surgery and the staff at the reception do the form filling for the monthly plus certs and you post it off. Now they require the claimant to see the doctor every month to declare that they are unfit for work which is a waste of time for those who are on long term illness where recovery is well known to take a year or two. This will add to waiting lists for everyone to see a doctor.

Some info on new rules https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/workers-to-get-single-sick-cert-after-benefit-scheme-overhaul-1.3743175

I really had to rub my eyes when I read this post.
    Are you serious about this?
    There have been NO changes at all in the procedure to issue the cert.
    A claimant was ALWAYS supposed to see his doctor who had to examine you first before he filled out the cert. A cert was NEVER ever allowed to be handed out by a secretary the way you describe it.
    On the cert you get it is printed that " I, Doctor such and such examined you today and found you unfit for work....signed bla bla".
    This procedure has to be repeated during EVERY new cert. Week in, week out. Same with a monthly/yearly cert.To the very last cert confirming that you are fit for work again.
    No relative or friend is allowed to pick up a cert either.
    Those who are unable to visit the doctor themselves can ask for the doctor to vist them at home.
    If they are worse off, they would be on a different sheme altogether anyway.
    The department had this rule all the time and doctors have to sign these strict rules once a year to confirm that they understand and follow this procedure.
    I see that the department wants to bring in new single certs covering the whole expected period of an illness. But these will be also issued on the above basis only.

hawthorne wrote: »
    I really had to rub my eyes when I read this post.
    Are you serious about this?
    There have been NO changes at all in the procedure to issue the cert.
    A claimant was ALWAYS supposed to see his doctor who had to examine you first before he filled out the cert. A cert was NEVER ever allowed to be handed out by a secretary the way you describe it.
    On the cert you get it is printed that " I, Doctor such and such examined you today and found you unfit for work....signed bla bla".
    This procedure has to be repeated during EVERY new cert. Week in, week out. Same with a monthly/yearly cert.To the very last cert confirming that you are fit for work again.
    No relative or friend is allowed to pick up a cert either.
    Those who are unable to visit the doctor themselves can ask for the doctor to vist them at home.
    If they are worse off, they would be on a differnt sheme altogether anyway.
    The department had this rule all the time and doctors have to sign these strict rules once a year to confirm that they understand and follow this procedure.
    I see that the department wants to bring in new single certs covering the whole expected period of an illness. But these will be also issued on the above basis only.

You are wrong.

My certs have been filled in by the receptionist every week. It was post op and the gp would not touch it apart from first visit where some sort of examination was done, but it was mostly based on the info received from hospital.

There was no need to examine the patient if based on consultant and hospital info you are to be on crutches or a wheelchair for weeks.

This really depends on circumstances, but the GP's hands are tied when the patients comes back after surgery.

It could apply to mental illnesses or long term back pain problems where the gp himself sign the person out of work and keep doing that for weeks without referring the person up the chain.

Most common illnesses unfortunately, and some do milk it while genuine cases of depression and chronic pain are being overlooked and not treated properly.

You are wrong.

My certs have been filled in by the receptionist every week. It was post op and the gp would not touch it apart from first visit where some sort of examination was done, but it was mostly based on the info received from hospital.

There was no need to examine the patient if based on consultant and hospital info you are to be on crutches or a wheelchair for weeks.

This really depends on circumstances, but the GP's hands are tied when the patients comes back after surgery.

It could apply to mental illnesses or long term back pain problems where the gp himself sign the person out of work and keep doing that for weeks without referring the person up the chain.

Most common illnesses unfortunately, and some do milk it while genuine cases of depression and chronic pain are being overlooked and not treated properly.

I know exactly what I am talking about.
    Secretaries issueing certs without the patient being seen by a doctor is strictly off limit.
    That does not mean it is not done the way you describe it.Its is still an illegal practice.
    Joan Burton once considered to withdraw the illness certs from the doctors to stop this illegal carry-on. It is well known that people just could get a sick note from the secretary to have an additional week of holidays.
    The alternative would have been a departments doctor doing a medical assessment in a SW office. And those folks are known to kick people of the sheme left,right and centre.
    If you came across such practise as you describe above, I would not even mention them at all here in public....in your own interest!

I know exactly what I am talking about.
    Secretaries issueing certs without the patient being seen by a doctor is strictly off limit.
    That does not mean it is not done the way you describe it.Its is still an illegal practice.
    Joan Burton once considered to withdraw the illness certs from the doctors to stop this illegal carry-on. It is well known that people just could get a sick note from the secretary to have an additional week of holidays.
    The alternative would have been a departments doctor doing a medical assessment in a SW office. And those folks are known to kick people of the sheme left,right and centre.
    If you came across such practise as you describe above, I would not even mention them at all here in public....in your own interest!

You are missing the point.

The consultant sends the paperwork to the gp as the hospitals don't do ib forms.

I doubt gp is capable of deciding when the patient is ready to go back to work for patients not treated by them. Imagine brain surgery, how would gp examine the patient?

Therefore they base their decision on recommendation from the consultant.

Nothing illegal. The gp is there just to stamp the form. That's the reality.

You are missing the point.

The consultant sends the paperwork to the gp as the hospitals don't do ib forms.

I doubt gp is capable of deciding when the patient is ready to go back to work for patients not treated by them. Imagine brain surgery, how would gp examine the patient?

Therefore they base their decision on recommendation from the consultant.

Nothing illegal. The gp is there just to stamp the form. That's the reality.

It might be reality in some cases. But still illegal and against the rules of the department the doctors signed themselves.
    Again- I would not talk about it in public. You want companies like Atos in Ireland?

I have very limited experience but can publicly say that people are collecting the forms rather than being examined in general.

At least people coming back from hospitals etc.

I was told the doctor might want to see me at some stage, but in general it was me who just said I need another week.

Same with doctor notes for work. Easier to get than paracetamol in supermarket.

I could march into any gp tomorrow and get 3 days off no bother.

Like it or not, that's the reality.

I have very limited experience but can publicly say that people are collecting the forms rather than being examined in general.

At least people coming back from hospitals etc.

I was told the doctor might want to see me at some stage, but in general it was me who just said I need another week.

Same with doctor notes for work. Easier to get than paracetamol in supermarket.

I could march into any gp tomorrow and get 3 days off no bother.

Like it or not, that's the reality.

Interesting reading to be found here:

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Medical-Certification-Under-Social-Welfare-Legislation-Instr.aspx

A quote to be found under 18:

18. IRREGULAR CERTIFICATION

A very serious view is taken of irregular or lax certification and practices such as the following will not be accepted.
    • Charging for the issue of certificates.
    • Issue of certificates by a person other than the Certifier to whom the Books of Certificates were issued.
    • Engagement of a Locum who is not a registered Certifier.
    • Completion of a certificate when the patient has not been seen or examined by the Certifier, e.g. pre-signing of certificates by Certifiers for completion and issue by receptionists.
    • Issue of certificates that are not properly signed and dated – practices such as initialling or using a rubber stamp or other artificially produced signature are not acceptable.
    • Completion of certificate counterfoil with details of a person other than the person to whom the certificate was issued.
    • Issue of a certificate to a person who is considered by the Certifier to be capable of work.
    • Continued issue of weekly certificates to patients who have been placed on less frequent certification by the Department.
    • Self-certification or that of a member of immediate family e.g. spouse/child by a Medical Certifier for the purposes of making a claim to a social welfare scheme.

We are dragging it ot, but as I said before, one of those dead regulations that nobody will challenge. Ever.

Agreed it seems to be against their contract, but it is between the gp and the department, nothing to do with the patient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

You are wrong.

Wonski I can confirm that Hawthorne is correct. The process you describe is against the rules and may be particular to your GPs practice but wouldn’t be the norm and I’ve never heard of such a practice in 15 years.
    You get a cert for a week or a month, then you see your GP and he either renews your cert for another week or month or he declares you fit for work and gives you a final cert. The patient is responsible for sending the cert to SW.

• Advertisement

I got a letter too saying that I am being put on monthly certs. I need to bring this letter to my GP. I can see this being messed up again.

Wonski I can confirm that Hawthorne is correct. The process you describe is against the rules and may be particular to your GPs practice but wouldn’t be the norm and I’ve never heard of such a practice in 15 years.
    Some GP practices are so overwhelmed with too many patients to see hence the cert process is norm for long term claimants.(like serious post op matters).
    You get a cert for a week or a month, then you see your GP and he either renews your cert for another week or month or he declares you fit for work and gives you a final cert. The patient is responsible for sending the cert to SW.

I've often wondered about when a patient who is post-op and is on long term recovery at home. If they are unable to attend the doctor for the weekly certs, and have no friend or relative to collect or post the certs off, are the GP surgery supposed to visit the patients home every week and post the cert off for them?

No problem for long term patients being seen by their doctor. A few words about the well being- and the cert is quickly filled out as well. This will not lead to a major hold-up in a doctors clinic.
    I never seen dozens and dozens of people hanging around a doctors waiting room eager to get their cert. Those few during a week are not the cause of the long waiting times. It is the folks running to their doctor on a nearly daily basis about any small ailment they can imagine who cause this problem.

If the patient is that sick as you describe, they are surely seen at home by their doctor. And somebody else will post the certs for them.
    Surely there must be someone around who will go to the post office for them. Or can you explain to us how they survive otherwise without being able to go out to do some shopping for their food?!

If the patient is that sick as you describe, they are surely seen at home by their doctor. And somebody else will post the certs for them.
    Surely there must be someone around who will go to the post office for them. Or can you explain to us how they survive otherwise without being able to go out to do some shopping for their food?!

It can cost a huge amount of money to have a doctor visit a patient at home on a weekly basis, some patients cannot afford that if they are on low pay(no medical card) or just strapped for cash. Shopping can be done by someone after hours as shops open late or even ordered online. Some patients are often advised to stock up food in the freezer pre-op for needs in the post-op environment.

Doctor's offices are often 9am-5pm Mon-Friday as are the post offices and if their friend/relative works often on a commute, it's impossible for them to post that cert off especially in meeting a deadline to be paid, certs often have to be lodged a day or two beforehand to get paid. If the person is a loner as times have changed, well there is no-one to post the cert off at all!!

System is quite archaic and informal based on the assumption that the patient has another human to help with red tape, needs reform in that area. A suggestion could be that GP's could send the cert in by email or something after examination in the home(at reduced cost to the patient)

The procedure is really between the Dept and the GPs and had feck all to do with patients.

Personally, I think it is a typical piece of bureaucratic nonsense as individual cases differ. Some people may need to see their GP to confirm they are still unable to work - other people (myself for example) may have an official letter saying I'm on the waiting list for 2nd round of surgery (and at the mercy of the waiting list) and until such time as that surgery occurs there will be no change. My going in to consult with the GP is a stupid waste of everyone's time. But there I am. Taking up an appointment slot to say Hi, yup. Still waiting to have the surgery for the thing you referred me to the surgeon for and he confirmed needed surgery.

After my last surgery - which was day release and on the day I usually get my weekly certs - I ended up (in pain) complete with whole bandaged arm in a sling in my GP's while she looked at me to 'confirm' I was indeed not able to return to work yet in a Kafkaesque moment of red tape.

The system will be changed to a fully electronic one in the very near future. It was supposed to start already on the 1st of March- but the DoSP fxcked up the roll out of the new certs- which were supposed to be only a temporary arrangement.
    The main problem is the lack of communication between the department and the doctors and the department and the patients.
    The department and the two doctors organizations have been unable to reach a deal on the matter so far. And it does not look like this thing will be solved in the short term.

You do not need a post office to be open to post a letter. There are plenty of letter boxes around. All you need to do is stuff the cert into an envelope and send it off as "Freepost" without a stamp.This can be done at any time of the day. A cert does not have to be posted at once. First possibility will do. It will take anyway days- if not weeks, as we can all see in this thread- to get processed.
    Any SW office accepts it as well- the cert can be handed directly into the office by anybody.

Surely times have changed and there are more people than ever who live alone or have no friends. Most of us have neighbours. Most of them would help out because everybody knows it could be themselves who could be in the same situation tomorrow.

The frequency of the certs can be changed very easily. If somone like yourself is on a waiting list this should be no problem. All it takes is a doctor contacting the department and they will sort it out. You will be transfered to a monthly or half yearly cert. I know it is sometimes difficult to contact the department by phone. A much quicker way to solve this is a visit to your local SW office.

The system will be changed to a fully electronic one in the very near future. It was supposed to start already on the 1st of March- but the DoSP fxcked up the roll out of the new certs- which were supposed to be only a temporary arrangement.
    The main problem is the lack of communication between the department and the doctors and the department and the patients.
    The department and the two doctors organizations have been unable to reach a deal on the matter so far. And it does not look like this thing will be solved in the short term.

It's all tinkering around the edges while the patients are the ones who suffer.

My GP practice manager can't wait for it all to be done on-line but acknowledges that they have the tech in place having recently moved to new premises complete with upgrading all their systems and access to a reliable broadband internet connection.
    Not something every practice has...

The dentists who are on the medical card sheme have the online system in place for years. No problems there.
    And I think that we are not talking about poor people when it comes to doctors. All you need is a computer with the necessary software plus an online connection plus a person who is able to do what is required to be done.
    Not neccessarily rocket science, is it...
    The only problem is the money. Doctors want more of it- and the department wants to spend less.
    The patient is forgotten in all of this.

• Advertisement

You do not need a post office to be open to post a letter. There are plenty of letter boxes around. All you need to do is stuff the cert into an envelope and send it off as "Freepost" without a stamp.This can be done at any time of the day. A cert does not have to be posted at once. First possibility will do. It will take anyway days- if not weeks, as we can all see in this thread- to get processed.
    Any SW office accepts it as well- the cert can be handed directly into the office by anybody.

Surely times have changed and there are more people than ever who live alone or have no friends. Most of us have neighbours. Most of them would help out because everybody knows it could be themselves who could be in the same situation tomorrow.

The frequency of the certs can be changed very easily. If somone like yourself is on a waiting list this should be no problem. All it takes is a doctor contacting the department and they will sort it out. You will be transfered to a monthly or half yearly cert. I know it is sometimes difficult to contact the department by phone. A much quicker way to solve this is a visit to your local SW office.

With respect Hawthorne I don't think you are considering life in the real world. Particularly in rural Ireland.

I'm lucky - I live in a large city. However, to get to my GP I still need a lift from someone - and I'm lucky I can get that - as my GP is too far to walk and it would require 2 buses to get there. Some towns in Ireland have zero public transport.

I am not going to change GP as I have been with that practice my whole life and have a chronic condition they have been treating for 20 years.

To drop the cert off at the SW office would also require a bus trip. Plus, there are documented cases of certs that were handed into SW offices being 'lost'.

As I said, I am lucky that I have the resources to make it work.
    Not everyone has those resources.

Advertisement