Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renewing Drivers License Ireland

• 15-08-2018 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

My drivers license has been expired for about 3 years now and I never got it renewed as I didn't need a car living in Dub city centre.

I know it used to have to be expired 10 years before you had to go through the whole process again but everyone keeps telling me "the rules have changed" but I can't find any information anywhere on the site about what the gap is now.

Does anyone know what the "new rules" are or can I still just get it renewed the normal way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I found this on the RSA website (dated 2015): http://www.rsa.ie/en/Utility/News/2015/DRIVERS-URGED-TO-CHECK-THEIR-LICENCES-HAVE-NOT-EXPIRED/
    To book an appointment with any of the NDLS centres, visit ndls.ie. The RSA is reminding drivers that you can renew a licence up to three months before its expiry date. However, if your licence has expired for ten years or more, you must start the application process again and take a driver theory test, mandatory driving lessons and a driving test.

I'd just give the NDLS a ring to make sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

wexie wrote: »
    I'd just give the NDLS a ring to make sure.

No need to, they have the same info. on their website....

You can apply for a licence/learner permit up to three months before the expiry date. An applicant for a driving licence must have held a driving licence in the 10 years preceding the date of application, an applicant for a learner permit must have held a learner permit in the 5 years preceding the date of application. If your driving licence has expired for 10 years or more or your learner permit has expired for 5 years or more you must start the application process afresh and take a driver theory test, mandatory driving lessons and a driving test.

https://www.ndls.ie/faq.html#when-can-i-renew-my-driving-licence-or-learner%E2%80%99s-permit

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SeanFitzFitz

Brilliant, thank you very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    The NDLS provide a most efficient online and walk-in service.
    No need for legal discussion.
    Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement