Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NETGEAR WNCE2001 broken. What to replace it with?

Options
  • 15-08-2018 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I am helping my parents and uncle to connect to the internet using a single 4G dongle.

Let’s say my parents live in ‘House A’, there there is a 4G dongle creating a WiFi zone. A mobile phone or two, a mac computer and a Netgear WNCE2001 connected to it. From the Netgear a 30 meter Ethernet cable runs across the drive way to my uncle’s house (House B).

In House B there is a wireless router (no modem components) which takes the cable from the Netgear and makes a WiFi zone for itself (new SSID, passwords etc). In House B again a few mobiles etc connect to it.

Neither party would use enough data in a month to justify two seperate dongles and otherwise this solution has worked. Lately though the Netgear has been letting us down and denying House B an internet connection. It’s like the WiFi connection to the dongle is being lost (according to the status lights)I’ve tried to reset/reconfigure it many times. Now when trying to set it up afresh (computer connected to it over Ethernet) the computer just gets a self-assigned IP address.

I’ve decided to replace it. Searching on eBay these gadgets now seem to cost hundreds of Euro or would otherwise take ages to ship from the US etc.

Does anyone know a good replacement? When I google I get bit throw off by devices that appear to do the exact opposite of what I want e.g connect two WIRED networks over WiFi! Otherwise I don’t think ‘powerline’ type extenders are appropriate when two sepearte buildings are involved.

Thanks for the tips.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Once you have Ethernet cable running to House B, just replace 4G dongle with full size 4G router like Huawei B593, B315, B525 or similar. These models have x4 Ethernet ports. Available unlocked on Amazon or Ebay, possibly on Adverts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

One option worth considering, would be to upgrade the 4g dongle to an unlocked 4g router with external antennae and the signal produced from that could be enough to reach both properties without the ethernet cable over driveway or a second router. I have a Huawei b593 and i can still connect to the wifi from the house in a garden shed 20-30m away

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭galwayguy85

Thx guys for both suggestions. I will certainly explore those.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

cunavalos wrote: »
    One option worth considering, would be to upgrade the 4g dongle to an unlocked 4g router with external antennae and the signal produced from that could be enough to reach both properties without the ethernet cable over driveway or a second router. I have a Huawei b593 and i can still connect to the wifi from the house in a garden shed 20-30m away

The Ethernet cable is the best run across to the other house. Using a wireless router as an access point at the second house is ideal.

Advertisement