Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladies road bike\ cyclocross that takes bigger tyres?

Options
  • 15-08-2018 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm trying to source a bike for a Lady who is getting into cycling .

Does fine on her hybrid but has joined a casual cycling group and is the odd one out as all others are on drop bar road bikes.

She doesn't like skinny Tyre road bikes , hates the road feedback , bumpiness etc and much prefers wider hybrid style tyres

Was looking at the LiV invite . has wide tyres and is also capable of a bit of touring . Seems very overpriced though .

If I could get a second hand ladies racer Giant avail etc that I could pop bigger tyres onto that would be great .Is that a possibility ? do those rims and frames usually accept say a 35c tyre ?

B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

that's not bad at all Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

The giant beliv 1 takes larger tyres I think.
    2017 models are currently reduced too, if she doesn't mind a step through

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/giant_beliv_1_womens_all_road_bike_2018-ID_73279

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I wouldn't go for a women's specific bike unless you have to due to sizing. You won't get 35s on a traditional road bike, max would be ~30s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Boardman Adventure bikes look decent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Maybe a cross bike works be more comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

nak wrote: »
    I wouldn't go for a women's specific bike unless you have to due to sizing. You won't get 35s on a traditional road bike, max would be ~30s.

Thanks . Why avoid ladies specific bikes ? are they harder to sell on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

I’m also looking out for a bike for a lady. She has a hip replacement so needs a low-ish stepthrough.
    I’d love to find a single front speed with a large range of gears.
    She descends slowly and will never need the normal high gears.
    Also I think flat bars are best - she won’t use drops. A large proportion of riders never use drops but seem to think they are a must-have - is there some advantage with hoods over flat bars?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

nak wrote: »

Thanks . Why avoid ladies specific bikes ? are they harder to sell on ?
    That's one factor - there really is no need as the only difference can be the saddle/bars which you could end up changing anyway.  A lot of it is just marketing.  I'm 5'4 and have only bought one women's specific bike over the years (purely because I liked it - same frame as the "men's" bike but suspension tuned for a lighter weight).

Advertisement