Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old Desktop

Options
  • 15-08-2018 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do with a Dell desktop c 2008 that was little used. I have tried Camara people but I think too old for them. It runs on Vista windows and has cable connection to internet. Flat screen monitor. It is worth posting on a freecycle site?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

You could use it a personal server or for storage. Stick it up for free on site and someone will make use of it if you don't want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Chuck linux on it and give it a new lease of life!

I'd recommend Peppermint OS.

https://peppermintos.com/

Other than that, as mickuhaha mentioned, you could turn it in to a media server.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭cobham

Just looking about for 'freecycle' that used to be in Dublin... but think there is a new name? or do people use a section of Donedeal? I now see a section on Gumtree. There is also 'freetradeireland.ie'.

Good idea to use as storage when look at amount of stuff generated over the years and all the bits ending up on various laptops :( But having a big clear out and time to off load stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

If its a Vista-era machine then I would say that Camara could use it. I work out there occasionally and we make use of much older machines than that one!

Otherwise, give Linux a shot. Something lightweight like Zorin Lite or Lubuntu would be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭cobham

Thanks all for suggestions. I took to Camara in the end and they were happy to take it and also a box of old laptops,notebooks and leads, said would be useful for spare parts. They are located in small industrial estate near the bridge on north side of river at Chapelizard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

verycool wrote: »
    Chuck linux on it and give it a new lease of life!

I'd recommend Peppermint OS.

https://peppermintos.com/

Other than that, as mickuhaha mentioned, you could turn it in to a media server.

+1

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Advertisement