Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survivor: David vs. Goliath (US)-[**SPOILERS**]

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,558 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Best season in many years.

A nice simple tribal this week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I wonder if Davey could be our winner - he's a bit of a dark horse compared to Christian and Nick who have been getting more of a "Winner's Edit" all season, but he'd be a worthy winner too, to be fair.

I always hate the Loved Ones Challenge because it just takes a good chunk of time introducing them all and derails a good chunk of the episode. Otherwise, 'twas another solid episode this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Best season in many years.

A nice simple tribal this week :)

Without a shadow of a doubt,simply outstanding.

Loved Davie's expression at the reward,you simply knew he was'nt buying it.He's playing a very smart game,surprised he voted for Christian though.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned,Gabby did'nt take it too well when Christian's girlfriend showed up.Christian is up against it based on the vote and his lack of ruthlessness in taking out Gabby.He should have wrote her name down.She'd turned on him already.Poetic justice that she was voted out.

Otherwise he'd be a worthy sole survivor,competitive at ICs and has some big moves and helped save the Davids from inevitable extinction.That amazing big brain of his was awesome in reading the tribe before he played his HII.

Surprised Nick turned so much against the mason dixon alliance.

Is there the possibility of an all female alliance?Probably unlilkely given the mish mash of fluid loyalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Another week with lots of questions as to why people voted the way they did.

Did anyone know Gabby would be leaving going into that TC?

Christian saved again, that's 3 times now where he's been lucky. It's hard to know if that's a good social game at work or it's now people just wanting to keep him in as a shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Another week with lots of questions as to why people voted the way they did.

Did anyone know Gabby would be leaving going into that TC?

Christian saved again, that's 3 times now where he's been lucky. It's hard to know if that's a good social game at work or it's now people just wanting to keep him in as a shield.

Lucky? It was just a good read as they say in poker. The vibe felt a little off at the tribal and he picked up on it.

Nobody told him...at least what we could see. Davie hinted at it "to be careful of Gabby" but Davie still voted for him and didn't tell him to use the idol.

Davie is playing a 10/10 game to make it to the end.....but I don't think its the right type of game if you want to win. It's too subtle. The Jury won't rate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

seligehgit wrote: »
    Without a shadow of a doubt,simply outstanding.

Loved Davie's expression at the reward,you simply knew he was'nt buying it.He's playing a very smart game,surprised he voted for Christian though.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned,Gabby did'nt take it too well when Christian's girlfriend showed up.Christian is up against it based on the vote and his lack of ruthlessness in taking out Gabby.He should have wrote her name down.She'd turned on him already.Poetic justice that she was voted out.

Otherwise he'd be a worthy sole survivor,competitive at ICs and has some big moves and helped save the Davids from inevitable extinction.That amazing big brain of his was awesome in reading the tribe before he played his HII.

Surprised Nick turned so much against the mason dixon alliance.

Is there the possibility of an all female alliance?Probably unlilkely given the mish mash of fluid loyalties.

Has Christian made some big moves? Davey-Nick saved him the first time. Next Davey-Nick-Carl saved him the second time.
    He messed up the Nick alliance

I think he milked playing the idol, he must have known he was a target. The voting for Carl will get him voted out next unless he wins a challenge.

Currently is looks like Nick-Davey-Mike-Angelina have an alliance but Mike is very flippy. On the outside it's Sara, Allison and Christian.

Christian to go next. But it leaves Davey-Nick slightly vulnerable.

Kirby wrote: »
    Lucky? It was just a good read as they say in poker. The vibe felt a little off at the tribal and he picked up on it.

Nobody told him...at least what we could see. Davie hinted at it "to be careful of Gabby" but Davie still voted for him and didn't tell him to use the idol.

Davie is playing a 10/10 game to make it to the end.....but I don't think its the right type of game if you want to win. It's too subtle. The Jury won't rate it.
    I didn't read it that way at all. Thought the "reading the room" at TC was all theatrics. Davie told him that both Gabby and he thinks nick are trying to get him out a few hours before tribal. Was a lot more than a hint to me.

And it looks like the vote was completely preplanned now meaning it wasn't some splinter group voting for Gabby. They split the vote, took out Christians idol and took out an ally albeit one who had just turned their back on him.

We'll never know 100% if he would have played the idol had he not been given that info.

Davie is playing a good game. It's subtle but it also looks like he's well liked which would help if he reached the end. I think he's favorite at this stage.

Well, that was a bit of a disorganised mess. What was it, 2 for Davie, 2 for Allison and 3 for Christian.

Mike, who was the instigator of the Christian out movement.....didn't even vote for him! :P

And then Nick, who had been warned that Davie was gunning from him....voted for Christian anyway.....but used his idol?!?

Messy. They are all in each other's heads at this point. It'll make for an unpredictable end anyway.

Another cracking episode with more than a hint of overconfidence on the part of Nick with his whole fake HII.Too clever by half and read by Davie.

Nice move on Davie's part bringing Nick on the reward,lulling him into a false sense of security.How did Kara repay Davie's kindness?Throwing a vote Christian's way at tribal.

It was truly the Mike show with his clever targeting of Christian.His dropping of the bombshell that Davie had been targeting Nick proved decisive.

Nick will regret his use of the HII although I had thought he was right to play it.It's very interesting how the whole David/Goliath loyalty has dissipated.

After 37 seasons I can finally get off my chest my annoyance re Probst's incessant commentary during ICs.I do mystified at the ability of players to concentrate on spite of this OTT feedback to the TV audience.

IMO it's a straight shootout between the last 2 standing standout players in the game... Nick and Davie.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭noveltea

i cant believe mike is 85.

• Advertisement

noveltea wrote: »
    i cant believe mike is 85.

Presume you're joking.:)

He's 47.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

This season has been unbelievable. I havent been invested in a season of Survivor like this since Heroes vs Villains, they need to keep casting contestants like these instead of the bland nobodies of recent seasons.

Davie for the win hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭noveltea

seligehgit wrote:
    Presume you're joking.

seligehgit wrote:
    He's 47.

Oh right. Makes more sense. After he won the reward they were like that's great for an 85 year old and I was thinking that can't be right.

Happy with the winner they deserve it they played a good game all season.

I would like to see a number of this cast return and have another chance at winning the big one.

Solid ending to a brilliant season and a worthy winner. I'd also like to see a fair few of them return to play again sometime...

Yeah the best player won.Great season!

Really nice guy with a great back story.Mother died of an OD and he grew up in a trailer park in Kentucky.He pulled out the IC wins when required,some iconic ICs.Loved it to have gone down to a showdown with Davie but Mike came very strong with his social/strategic game.

Nick as you'd expect of an attorney was a slam dunk winner at final tribal.Yikes I was damn disappointed there was no Sue Hawk moment.Final tribal was boringly civil.:D Tad surprised Christian did not vote for the Mason Dixon alliance.I thought the whole girl power angle was unnecessary.

Don't get all the praise for Angelina,I thought she was the ultimate goat.The HII kind of fell into her lap after losing the clue.:rolleyes:Scaling a 100 foot wall.:D Banging on about her self sacrifice with regard to the rice.Jacketgate was hilarious.

Loved the look back on Christian's one way conversation with Probst at the end of the gruelling IC.

Bit disappointed they're sticking to Fiji yet again.How about a change of continent?Africa,South America or mainland Asia.

Joe,Aubry and David are quality returnee players.Not so sure about Kelley.

Solid season. Knew going in there was zero chance both David's would get to the final TC which is a shame. There was only one winner once the final IC was over. I do miss the epic final IC days as opposed to the recent standard competition and fire building. Had a chuckle when Jeff called the fire building challenge epic. It certainly wasn't and rarely is.

As much as I enjoyed the season I didn't think there were many big characters who we'd need to see again,apart from Christian I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Great season overall. I think the right person won.

If they still did the 50k for fan favourite, I think Christian would have got it this season.

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    I thought the whole girl power angle was unnecessary.

You can say that again.

That Gabby one was just the worst. A complete neurotic mess. Spent the 39 days crying. She couldn't even vote in the finale without crying ffs. If you don't want to be seen as hysterical....maybe try go 10 minutes without having a breakdown?

Her final tribal comments really irked me and is a disservice to some of the great female players we've had throughout the years. "Only 15% of idols are found by women". Thats because most of them don't look! They lay on the beach tanning while the real players get down and dirty in the jungle. Sex has nothing to do with it. Lazyness does.

Kirby wrote: »
    "Only 15% of idols are found by women". Thats because most of them don't look! They lay on the beach tanning while the real players get down and dirty in the jungle. Sex has nothing to do with it. Lazyness does.
    She's giving Angelina props for being one of the rare female players that do actively look for idols though (she didn't even find it by herself though). Angelina may not have been the greatest player but she did play the game hard unlike some other goats. I do disagree with the claims in the reunion show that her game would be perceived differently if she was a guy (although I do think this is a thing). She just had certain traits that make her bad at the game.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    She's giving Angelina props for being one of the rare female players that do actively look for idols though (she didn't even find it by herself though)

She wasn't. It was all ego and all about Gabby. If she wanted to give Angelina props she would have said, "Well done in finding an idol". But instead she launched into a feminist tirade.

"I didn't find an idol, I got voted out, I cried every day. Is it because I'm a terrible player? I'm amazing....so it can't be that. It's because I'm a woman. Let's go with that." :rolleyes:

It's a crutch weak players like Gabby use to make themselves feel better. You see it several times a season when the weaker players get blindsided and they tell the camera "Oh they saw me as a huuuuuuge threat" to make their own fragile ego's not collapse. But we all know it's rubbish.

This show has had some excellent female players and this kind of victim narrative needs to die.

Fair enough, I was half asleep watching the FTC so didn't pick up on that. I can totally picture her praising Angelina but really trying to make it all about herself. I think a lot of jurors do this though and it's not just confined to someone coming from this feminist angle.

Tis a bit of stretch to give Angelina any great credit for finding that HII.She lost the clue,she could remember the details of it.It was hardly a 400 page doctorate paper.She made a hames of searching for it.She couldn't make her way down that 100 foot wall.:rolleyes:

She had a pretty unpleasant personality.

Gabby's rant was total cringe but very predictable in the current climate.She was mentally fragile and a very poor player entirely dependent on hanging onto the coattails of Christian.

There is good reason why such a low percentage of HIIs have been found by female players.They have not gone looking for them.It was embarrassing Probst giving any credence to any belief that a male player would be painted in a more positive light.Simply not true,Angelina edit was largely self inflicted.

I say that having seen some exceptional female players down through the years Kim,Amanda and Parvati.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Good season, engaging at least. No idea what the trailer for next season was on about but didnt look too promising anyway not that you can ever tell but especially with that Andrea one coming back, I couldnt stand her.

Aubry? I like her.

It's not the greatest set of returners though is it?

And wtf is the "edge of extinction"?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I really enjoyed this season, some great characters and a good twist that wasn't as one-sided as initially feared. Liked Christian and the Brochacho thing that was going on and he was a threat but probably didn't need to be taken out so soon.

There was a lot of hamming it up from Angelina and the jury saw right through it - the fake idol play, the rice, the "100 ft" ladder. Too much fakeness and dramatisation definitely cost her.

Gabby was a strange one. Way too teary for the game and a bit delusional. There was one challenge on the narrow platform where she broke down because she thought it was one that she could win. And while she lasted an impressive 2+ hours, Alec and Christian battled it out for 5 hours in the end! Wonder if she had kept the Christian alliance, would she have been better off?

Great uses of idols and secret advantages, etc. They're really good at finding them though, it's a bit crazy!

Was surprised that Nick's emotional side wasn't picked at more by his compatriots at final tribal. He got very riled up when left out of the loop and let alliances slide as a result - Mason-Dixon most notably. Strategy went a little out the window at times and it could have cost him / someone should have used it against him - "as soon as you go against his vote, he'll go for you so take him first"

Happy with winning contestant. The right choice.

Don't really like the back and forth of this tribal format. A handful of players can dominate conversation. But on the other hand, the jury has been more rational in terms of their vote (but we miss out on an angry rant!)

🤪

The 'outwit outplay outlast' framing device of the FTC is so stupid. I'd prefer if they tweaked that a little.

• Advertisement
Advertisement