Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling on of electricity

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

DrPhilG wrote: »
    But will the long game ever come to fruition given that we are already creeping into the long range era, Kona/Niro/L60.

By the time there are enough EVs on the road to make a charging network profitable, they won't need to use the network at all.

I doubt we will ever get to that stage. Even with the increase in range of petrol/diesel cars it did not stop the increase in fuel stations.

I can see a reduction of the small shop at side of road but they are already on the way out. You will see the likes of the Maxol in Blanchardstown pop up. A fuel stations with 3-4 restaurants and a shop. Similar to the UK setup.

Also with Applegreen buying Welcome Break in the UK will they start to roll out similar set up in Ireland? Any of the Welcome Break service stations I stopped at had a large charging station, fee basedof course

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

DrPhilG wrote: »
    But will the long game ever come to fruition given that we are already creeping into the long range era, Kona/Niro/L60.

By the time there are enough EVs on the road to make a charging network profitable, they won't need to use the network at all.

Certainly. There will always be a market for those without home charging, those on long trips, people who've forgotten to charge before a long trip.
    We're unlikely to see it reach the saturation we see now with combustion fuel stations, purely because the amount of people home charging on a regular basis will limit the need for that level of duplicated infrastructure.
    And I can see a world where widespread battery storage in buildings will mean adding a DC rapid fed straight off the building's high voltage DC will become a low cost, relatively widespread thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ted1 wrote: »
    That’s absolutely rubbish. Fake news.

It was 85k in the middle of the recession. Excluding pension contribution

Linky

"A STARTLING array of perks and pay allowances for ESB staff can be revealed for the first time today."

• Registered Users Posts: 23,493 ✭✭✭✭ted1

unkel wrote: »
    That’s absolutely rubbish. Fake news.

Linky

"A STARTLING array of perks and pay allowances for ESB staff can be revealed for the first time today."
    It’s rubbish the average salary isn’t 85k or 100k
    Pension I’d Defined contribution not benefit like it used to be. ( much much smaller than public servants pensions)
    They don’t pay medical.
    We get 1/2 price electricity of the standard rate.
    Which isn’t that much because the standing charge, PSO levy etc isn’t discounted and most people get 20% of anyway.
    Mileage, lunch , dinner and over nights are the same as civil service.
    If you are salary you don’t get over time.

Just because you capitalise words and use inverted commas doesn’t mean it’s right

On call allowances ?
    The company wins compared to what other companies pay. You being paid to give up your social life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Linky

The ESB was always well paid even when we had the cheapest electricity in the EU and a monopoly. The prices were increased to bring in competition by the EU. So what the ESB pays their workers has little impact on the price of electricity here.

• Advertisement

It’s rubbish the average salary isn’t 85k

Now who are we supposed to believe, a newspaper article or a defensive employee posting anonymously on the internet? :p

Here's another one:

Linky

"Average pay and pension of ESB workers near €100,000"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,493 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It’s rubbish the average salary isn’t 85k

Now who are we supposed to believe, a newspaper article or a defensive employee posting anonymously on the internet? :p

Here's another one:

Linky

"Average pay and pension of ESB workers near €100,000"
    Ten year old article.
    A lot of staff have left and the new staff are on a lot less.

Fair enough, I take your word for it this time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jeditraining1

Funny how this post went. Dr.Phil made the best point of this thread and its a very good point!! The network is getting to the point where it is going to become less and less relevant. Hopefully there may come a day where we may not need chargers at all. There was a great conversation regarding SOLAR EV's over on the EVowners page on FB (The closed group one not the high and mighty group) a few people having great talks about where the future of EVs will be.

Funny how this post went. Dr.Phil made the best point of this thread and its a very good point!! The network is getting to the point where it is going to become less and less relevant. Hopefully there may come a day where we may not need chargers at all. There was a great conversation regarding SOLAR EV's over on the EVowners page on FB (The closed group one not the high and mighty group) a few people having great talks about where the future of EVs will be.

Which is the high and mighty one?

I am member of both and both seem to have fairly similar posters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,916 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Which is the high and mighty one?

I am member of both and both seem to have fairly similar posters
    There's one closed and one public group, I think he's referring to the public group. :confused:

How I differentiate the two (other than closed vs open) is that one group has a couple of people whining about blanchardstown and wanting charging to remain free indefinitely and the other has people whining about slow chargers and fcp abuse.:p

ELM327 wrote: »
    There's one closed and one public group, I think he's referring to the public group. :confused:

How I differentiate the two (other than closed vs open) is that one group has a couple of people whining about blanchardstown and wanting charging to remain free indefinitely and the other has people whining about slow chargers and fcp abuse.:p

If eCars did roll out a couple of thousand charger then both groups could whine about having too many chargers:P

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The network is getting to the point where it is going to become less and less relevant. Hopefully there may come a day where we may not need chargers at all.

Suburban charging centers with a cluster of rapids will be needed to cover drivers without access to dedicated parking, and a few sites alongside major interurbans.

The future network will likely involve less sites with higher density.

Advertisement