Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where are Irelands hottest chicken wings ?

Options
  • 15-08-2018 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭

So I'm a fan of chicken wings, but I am continuously disappointed by things like the 'chicken wing festival' and any stand or restaurant claiming to have spicy wings. Calling them names like 'suicide sauce' or 'fookin hot wings' or anything else with skulls or 5 chilli symbols next to it and its just franks or maybe something a bit more, some habanero sauce or something.

The other thing that annoys me is restaurants that only serve their 'spicy' wings sometimes , that flavour is only available the day I'm not there etc...

so what I'm asking is, is there any place on the island or Ireland that serves wings that will genuinely blow my teeth out of my skull , like I'm talking putting the thing to your face makes your eyes water before you even bite into it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Hogs and heifers in Swords do a hot wing challenge, you have to sign a waiver before you eat them so they're pretty intense.

3 of mates who like hot food tried the challenge, one ate a single bite, the other ate 2 wings and the last lad ate 3 wings but he got sick afterwards.

But look, if you really can handle hot food then it's a very doable challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Hogs and heifers in Swords do a hot wing challenge, you have to sign a waiver before you eat them so they're pretty intense.

3 of mates who like hot food tried the challenge, one ate a single bite, the other ate 2 wings and the last lad ate 3 wings but he got sick afterwards.

But look, if you really can handle hot food then it's a very doable challenge.

That falls into the 'not available every day' category, been twoce with no luck, seems they only serve them while its full of roudy teens awaiting the opening of the wright venue on the weekend , the exact time im least likely to be there

But cheers for the suggestion. To put it in comparisson I once made a bolognaise with mad dog 357 hot sauce, ate two bowls no bother while everyone else who even tasted it complained of breathing problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

That falls into the 'not available every day' category, been twoce with no luck, seems they only serve them while its full of roudy teens awaiting the opening of the wright venue on the weekend , the exact time im least likely to be there

But cheers for the suggestion. To put it in comparisson I once made a bolognaise with mad dog 357 hot sauce, ate two bowls no bother while everyone else who even tasted it complained of breathing problems.

Haha fair enough, sounds like you mightn't have too much difficulty with the challenge so.

Ye, they don't always have it available, I just rang them up a couple of times and when they said it was in, I brought the lads over to do it. To be fair it was a quiet midweek evening, I wouldn't be bothered with the place at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

99.9 percent of restaurants selling hot wings in this country get their product from big wholesalers who provide a blase very sweet and slightly hot offering. This suits 90percent of punters.

For the real hot stuff maybe the Chinese restaurants on Parnell st

• Registered Users Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Just Wing It in Tallaght provide the wings for the Hot Wing competition at the Big Grill festival (that funnily enough is taking place tomorrow through Sunday).

Go watch the Hot Wing competition to see if you could stay the pace. I managed to down 2 out of 8 last year and nearly passed out. How anyone got to finish them all without dying in extreme pain is beyond me.

http://wingit.ie

http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fbiggrillfestival.com%2F&h=AT06AUJaeCiqDkN1G1bmQ3MO83Cbvg79oVYpQVFmRIAHw94PiQ0RgLhteCWKi6BcGwkolS7zZna0jTcDlI5ITvzD9KWknMZqTf1tFjppjPEp2gTL3THe7RU-v3pn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

For the real hot stuff maybe the Chinese restaurants on Parnell st
    I doubt it. He is more looking for stuff that would be in competitions, which the majority of people would find horrible.

I have never heard of Chinese restaurants being known for stupidly hot stuff, might be hot dishes but I never heard of wings, I know there is a dish with meat cooked in chillis which are not intended to be eaten (only the meat eaten). Indian restaurants certainly -you head of stuff not on the menu that they will only serve to Indian customers, or regulars they know will handle it. Most places will not want to serve up a stupidly hot dish and have a pissed off customer.

Bad Bobs have a hot one which might be worthy of contests
    https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/banter/videos/watch-holy-fk-three-brave-souls-take-on-the-hottest-wings-in-ireland-with-hilarious-consequences-35953910.html

and seems to be on the menu all the time.
    https://www.badbobs.ie/food-menu.html

Chicken Wings €10
    Bad Bobs succulent crispy chicken wings with your choice of Bobs Sauce, McGowan’s Sauce, Louisiana Sauce or Devils Blood (warning: extremely hot).

However if ordering I guess you would still have to overly stress that you want it hot as hell. There must be places that you could ask for the bottle of sauce to go with it, so you could just add more.

Just like if you ordered soup and requested it to extremely salty to the point of being totally inedible by 99% of people, then I guess most chefs would hold back, but you add your own. (and yes I have heard of places who refuse to leave out salt etc).

Or just bring the sauce with you to top up, think you can get pure capsaicin

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

Have a look at the Lantern Chinese in Ballina, Mayo

They do a Dry, Hot and Spicy challenge. Currently if you clear a plate of DHS chicken, wings and chips within 30 minutes without a drink they will give you a 100 voucher and 100 cash.

If you checkout their Facebook page there is a good few people over the last few weeks trying and failing, only saw 1 person win recently.

If ya didn't want to do the competition you can eat in or get takeout and I'm sure you could just ask them to make them extra hot for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Savage_Henry

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

discovered my own answer. Scotch Bonnet in malahide, the nuclear hot wings. Definitely dublins spiciest wings and theres no special order / limited days / competition challenge fanfare about them. They just give you a big bowl of wings that are drowned in sauce, the wings are good quality and it is damn spicy.

Hands down dublins best wings for spice lovers.

Advertisement