Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the going rate for money gift for wedding

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Greentopia wrote: »
    I'd give back cash that was given. Yes, truthfully :)
    Guests will be told that I will not expect or want a cent though so hopefully it won't happen. I will give them very clear instructions to not give money please and thank you, just a small token gift if they would like to give something- will state some examples.

The wedding is our cost to bear, it shouldn't be little more than a shake down to cover the cost.

I was at my fiancees brothers wedding last year in Germany and not a cent passed hands by any of the guests to the couple. We turned up to the ceremony, had a meal out paid for by them then more food back in their house. That's it.

They don't look for money there and I agree with it.

Sounds blissful. I reckon it means Germans might be less resentful of receiving wedding invitations than Irish folk. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Regarding the working out of the cost per head. Couples can really save money by cutting down on chair covers/ribbons/favors/etc. Whilst still having a good meal.
    One I saw a cost per head for a wedding and it felt wrong going on the venue/food. Turned out it included the cars/dresses/suits/etc.

One of the reasons my sister and her husband picked their venue was because they had lovely dinner chairs. No frou frou covers required!

And party favours continue to confuse me. Who wants them? Why perpetuate the silliness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Sounds blissful. I reckon it means Germans might be less resentful of receiving wedding invitations than Irish folk. :)

You wouldn't have huge weddings to begin with. In Austria an average sized wedding party has approximately 40 people and really only includes people you want to have there. No hard feelings for not inviting your cousin or aunt you haven't seen in a while.
    And if you would get cash, then only from your immediate relatives, everyone else gives a small material gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

LirW wrote: »
    You wouldn't have huge weddings to begin with. In Austria an average sized wedding party has approximately 40 people and really only includes people you want to have there. No hard feelings for not inviting your cousin or aunt you haven't seen in a while.
    And if you would get cash, then only from your immediate relatives, everyone else gives a small material gift.

Really hope the trend changes here, it's ridiculous at this stage. 200-400 people and mental sums of money thrown around - fcuking madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

€150 for a couple and I suppose half that for a single person.
    A bit more if its family or a close friend,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Why should the woman have to identify as the bride anymore? Plenty of male brides with rich parents about.

Well its going to be the sons who inherit the family business and assets, so any father will want to add as much as he can to helping his daughter make as advantageous a match as she can attract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

LirW wrote: »

Yep, the wedding I went to in Germany had around 70 guests but they were all close family and friends. A modest affair but lovely civil ceremony and afters. I mentioned to my other half about the typical cost of an Irish wedding and he was stunned. Can't say I blame him.

When I send my wedding invitations out I don't want my fiends and family to think "oh no... more money we'll have to find to attend this wedding!" I don't want to essentially hand them a bill for a few hundred euro in a fancy envelope, I want it to as affordable as possible for them to attend and actually enjoy the day without worrying about how much they have to give us or buying expensive gifts.

Sure some friends are well off and can afford that, but others are struggling with families and mortgages. It's not fair to expect them to spend anything more than the cost of a babysitter if needed and petrol money to get there.
    What's important is they are there with us and we all really enjoy the day. Their presence rather than their...well... presents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

A card and a half ounce for the groom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

how late is too late to apologise for not turning up at a wedding, I hear 6 months is an acceptable timeframe for sending gifts.
    Should I stick a card in the letterbox with 50 quid inside it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭blackvalley

I suppose an ironing board or toaster would be out of the question ?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

how late is too late to apologise for not turning up at a wedding, I hear 6 months is an acceptable timeframe for sending gifts.
    Should I stick a card in the letterbox with 50 quid inside it?

dont send money if you are not going to the wedding, send a gift,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

pgj2015 wrote: »
    dont send money if you are not going to the wedding, send a gift,

If the bride and groom paid for your meal but you didn't show - I think it's fair enough to give them cash as you do kinda owe them.

If they knew well in advance then a card and gift is perfectly generous!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 murraymar

off topic I never understood the fuss about the seat covers, wedding favours etc. A good wedding is made by the guests, food and music. To answer op query, €100 for single, €200 for couple and a card if I was unable to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

You wouldn’t want to go below €500. Makes you look poor.

Watch from 40 seconds in.Irish weddings will be like this soon :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwbfWR3VGuc

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Can we safely presume the going monetary rates are -

Couple: €100 - €200
    Alone : €50 - €100
    Evening/plate lickers: small gift/card/nowt
    Foreign wedding: your presence only

All above depending on closeness to couple/ distance to venue/weekend or weekday etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Certain cultures and alleged bucolic types are having bling weddings with monster numbers invited (300+) where prosperity is valued more than the actual wedding, food, wine or vows. You'll be expected to shell out a lot of cash for attending these types of weddings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Regarding giving gifts.
    I think lots of people are guilty enough of re gifting a set of wine glasses etc.
    I recently saw somebody selling nearly all the gift they got on Donedeal under their name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What should you give for an afters only invite?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Samuri Suicide

Gael23 wrote: »

Nothing.

Gael23 wrote: »

Most people uni now would give €50 either by themselves or a couple or some glassware from a gift shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Samuri Suicide

Most people uni now would give €50 either by themselves or a couple or some glassware from a gift shop.

Really? I think a nice card and the effort of turning up after everyone has eaten is more than enough of an effort to celebrate the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Regarding giving gifts.
    I think lots of people are guilty enough of re gifting a set of wine glasses etc.
    I recently saw somebody selling nearly all the gift they got on Donedeal under their name.
    I actually had to buy a shelving unit for garage to store away gifts we got for our wedding 5 years ago. They still haven't been touched!

Some people are incredibly generous and some tight.

You'll always get a few that give nothing at all.

Give what you can afford OP.

Really? I think a nice card and the effort of turning up after everyone has eaten is more than enough of an effort to celebrate the day.

Well that's what most people I know would give.
    Of course you can just give a card or what ever you can afford.

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    I actually had to buy a shelving unit for garage to store away gifts we got for our wedding 5 years ago. They still haven't been touched!

Giving gifts is fine in my opinion once you think the person will like it.
    Gifts that aren't wanted are often just re-gifted and I've even seen people sell them online.

Advertisement