Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheel running off break after changing tube

Options
  • 15-08-2018 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi all, changed back wheel tube on road bike ( first time doing it). However now when I have wheel back on it’s rubbing off break, have I made a balls of it? Help please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

You've either not seated the wheel back in the frame dropouts as it was(I'm guessing its a quick release) or knocked the brake block taking the wheel out or putting it back in.

Open the skewer, seat the wheel in the middle of the brake pads and close the skewer.

If the brake still rubs then get the appropriate allen key and adjust the brake pads via the setscrew(plenty of Youtube video's on bike DIY like GCN). If its beyond the adjustment limit of the screw then you'll need to loosen the whole caliper and re-centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭briancarr82

It only seems to be catching in one spot, tube seems tucked in fine and wheel on rim ok. Could it be that wheel not centered right?
    velo.2010 wrote: »
    You've either not seated the wheel back in the frame dropouts as it was(I'm guessing its a quick release) or knocked the brake block taking the wheel out or putting it back in.

Open the skewer, seat the wheel in the middle of the brake pads and close the skewer.

If the brake still rubs then get the appropriate allen key and adjust the brake pads via the setscrew(plenty of Youtube video's on bike DIY like GCN). If its beyond the adjustment limit of the screw then you'll need to loosen the whole caliper and re-centre.

Did you release the breaks before removing the wheel? I ask as you mentioned it was the first time you did it.

I literally just used the quick release, I wouldn’t have done anything to the breaks. Looked there again, it’s the right break pad that’s catching in one part of the wheel. When I listen the break clip it spins fine
    Did you release the breaks before removing the wheel? I ask as you mentioned it was the first time you did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Slacken skewer... press down on saddle and tighten skewer.
    Don’t touch the brakes as mentioned above at this point as all that will guarantee is that your wheel is centred between your pads and not necesssarily centred in the frame.
    From here decide what to do with your brakes... it’s possible the wheel was not centred all along.

• Advertisement

Taking the wheel off without releasing the breaks first could have knocked them off center slightly if the tyre didn't clear the pads cleanly.

I might have to bring it back in, as I mentioned complete novice so not sure what you’re talking about. Only after getting serviced, got a flat yesterday to removed wheel now breaks catching
    martyc5674 wrote: »
    Slacken skewer... press down on saddle and tighten skewer.
    Don’t touch the brakes as mentioned above at this point as all that will guarantee is that your wheel is centred between your pads and not necesssarily centred in the frame.
    From here decide what to do with your brakes... it’s possible the wheel was not centred all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Slacken skewer... press down on saddle and tighten skewer....
    This!

Don't tighten the wheel on a work stand. Put it on the ground and use your chest to apply some weight to the saddle and tighten the quick release.

(....and take a BREAK after sorting your BRAKES! :)

Excuse my ignorance, what’s the skewer?
    This!

Don't tighten the wheel on a work stand. Put it on the ground and use your chest to apply some weight to the saddle and tighten the quick release.

(....and take a BREAK after sorting your BRAKES! :)

Excuse my ignorance, what’s the skewer?
    It's the slim bolt which goes through the wheel axle to secure the wheel to the frame - usually 'quick release' (QR) which can be tightened and loosened by hand without tools.

Some bikes have a secure bolt/axle which requires a wrench to loosen/tighten.

• Advertisement

It's worth having a look on youtube for correct procedure for removing the wheels and what to do if you maybe take your skewer apart in the process. Not that I've ever done that and not known what to do but I hear the spring has to go on a certain way :o

... but I hear the spring has to go on a certain way :o
    I always discard the springs. They only serve a very minor purpose which isn't required. Don't lose any sleep over them. ;)

[

Will try leaning on it tomorrow so. Also is there a way to centre when, as far as I can tell it just sits on and that’s it. Wheel not fully pumped yet either quote="Wishbone Ash;107799850"]It's the slim bolt which goes through the wheel axle to secure the wheel to the frame - usually 'quick release' (QR) which can be tightened and loosened by hand without tools.

Some bikes have a secure bolt/axle which requires a wrench to loosen/tighten.[/quote]

Can find plenty of tips on removing and attaching wheel but not any for if it’s catching
    It's worth having a look on youtube for correct procedure for removing the wheels and what to do if you maybe take your skewer apart in the process. Not that I've ever done that and not known what to do but I hear the spring has to go on a certain way :o

... is there a way to centre when, as far as I can tell it just sits on and that’s it...
    With a little weight pressing down on it, the wheel makes a distinctive small movement when it seats itself correctly. It's hard to describe but when you know, you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

I always discard the springs. They only serve a very minor purpose which isn't required. Don't lose any sleep over them. ;)

Often wondered whether they were really necessary ... thanks!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

C3PO wrote: »
    Often wondered whether they were really necessary ... thanks!

All they are there for is to hold the skewer out equally on both sides to make it easier to get the wheel on or off. Not essential but a tiny bit more convenient than not having them.

Hi Folks, tried leaning on the sadle and opening and closing the skewer again. Last look for suggestions before i go to bike shop. Does wheen seem warped or is this normal? Tyre not pumped yet. See link to video

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9o23sg1ff6ztuld/IMG_0642.TRIM.MOV?dl=0

does the view make the issue any clearer? When i was taking tyre off i never opened the break clasp so maybe i knocked them off centre. Bike wheel only seems to sit down in one position, i don't seem to be able to move to right or left and it looks to be right in the centre of the frame

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Brake has been knocked out of line, see the way it hits one side first when you close it. When you pull the brake lever both pads should hit the rim at the same time.

You should be able to pull it slightly sidewards and then tighten the brake a bit. If you can't, loosen the brake a small bit spin to the correct position and tighten.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It only seems to be catching in one spot, tube seems tucked in fine and wheel on rim ok.
    your wheel is buckled. you can see it in the video, and as you mention, it's only catching in one spot. ask your bike shop to true the wheel for you.

sound, is that a major job?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

€15 or €20, i'd guess.

Advertisement